LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is real rudimentary, and I know there are some some distortion effects going on in the photo so that the lower part of the car looks larger than the upper part of the car, but... it seems that there is room for the entire window in the door. For what it's worth.

Capture11-vi.jpg

I wonder if there is some other hardware in the door (reinforcement beams?) that are blocking the mechanics from bringing the window all the way in. Seems odd that they'd let it go within 2 inches of fully down, and not just finish it. ? At first glance, I thought the rear well would be blocking it, but it doesn't look that way.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone notice that topix lists a 2018 model year Discovery now in addtion to 2017? The owners manual link for 2018 just goes to the current 2017 page - not sure if that was a fluke or if they are working that far ahead...

Considering it won't even be manufactured until April, and Land Rover normally introduces replacement model years around September / October each year, the 2017MY new Discovery should end up being a very short run. No wonder some magazines were guessing it would be introduced in 2017 as a MY18 model. So, I am not surprised they are already setting up for the 2018s, which will probably carry on virtually unchanged from the 2017s.

Jerbo

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a MY17 ordered, the window issue is a very real issue for me as it drives me crazy as a passenger in the rear. I am trying to visualize it with the correct tires and a low profile roof rack and it is starting to come together. I wonder if it will include a OEM winch option... not that I would buy it, however it would help with visualization.

Also, given the rear spoiler it appears that the rear ladder is gone or would be poorly shaped.

I just don't know, I wish somebody would sneak into the Rover and take a spy shot of the new defender so we can get an idea of what we are dealing with.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are getting close, but I believe those are all still test mules. Don't think first actual delivery to a customer will happen until April, even in the UK. 20K units have reportedly been pre-ordered worldwide, so they'll be busy for a while.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That photo could be of test mules sitting on a lot, but other posts on that site say that a couple dealers have one already and some test drives are scheduled. There is one sitting behind this rather interesting RRS, photo claimed to be taken yesterday. You can tell it is the full size Discovery as the LR symbol is on rear door rather than the window frame behind the door like it is on the smaller Sport.

Maybe these are early dealer "mules" for the showroom and test drives? Some people who ordered their "launch edition" have listed build dates around mid-January and delivery dates of mid-March, so maybe these are the initial production ones used to fill showrooms for display.

Reagrdless, they do have a lot of cathing up to do on orders as you stated, 20,000 worldwide so far.

I missed the Philly Auto show, so I still have not see it in person, although those pics you posted were about as close as one could hope to get!!

normal_IMG_0742.jpg

Last edited:

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One aspect of LR design that my friends comment about is window visibility, that it is far superior to competitors. Looking at the rear side-by-side comparison of the LR4 and LR5 highlights that the LR5 has lost significant rear window height. The side windows not rolling down is another.

Overall, not a good design direction.

Jerbo

Reaction score
One aspect of LR design that my friends comment about is window visibility, that it is far superior to competitors. Looking at the rear side-by-side comparison of the LR4 and LR5 highlights that the LR5 has lost significant rear window height. The side windows not rolling down is another.

Overall, not a good design direction.

Totally agree, I have heard that the command seating is also not as good as in the LR4, more like the RRS ... which sucks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72