LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess we'll have to wait to see whether they screw up the defender or not, but from what I've seen it looks like a plasticky toy and not the traditional workhorse that it has been since it's inception.

I will say this regarding price: Back in the early '90s one of the first RRs I got (used) stickered at around $48000. Given inflation, and the vast vast amount of improvements in even a base LR4, it is pretty impressive that it can be had for around the same price as the old RR.

Oh well, maybe the new Bronco will be great!

Supposedly the new Defender will not look like the DC100 concept that they showed in 2011. In fact, there hasn't been any official unveiling of any of the new Defender; just artists' guesses.

I may be stupid to hope, but I'll hope anyway.

The new Bronco is probably going to just be a rebadged version of the Ford Everest designed in Australia.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen two different pics on the net. One looks like a slightly leaner meaner version of the old (OJ) one and one looks like a bad ass '70s version. Fingers crossed for the latter.

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen two different pics on the net. One looks like a slightly leaner meaner version of the old (OJ) one and one looks like a bad ass '70s version. Fingers crossed for the latter.
Given the similarities of the new Disco 5 to the Explorer, maybe we're looking at pictures of the new Defender LOL

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone been able to determine what size tires are coming on the new Discovery? Being geared slightly more to road manners, I imagine they will keep some sidewall on the tires for cushioning and now LR is offering up to 22" stock wheels, so I wonder if they will remain at 30" diameter or move up to 31", or even more?? The new RR's start with 31" 235/65/19 tires which seem awfully skinny for a vehicle like that. I am wondering what the base tires may be for the Discovery....

0f22a4edf8948da3c19e703fa4e.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone been able to determine what size tires are coming on the new Discovery? Being geared slightly more to road manners, I imagine they will keep some sidewall on the tires for cushioning and now LR is offering up to 22" stock wheels, so I wonder if they will remain at 30" diameter or move up to 31", or even more?? The new RR's start with 31" 235/65/19 tires which seem awfully skinny for a vehicle like that. I am wondering what the base tires may be for the Discovery....
On the configure tool you can select between 20" or 21" wheels. I was personally hoping for 18" or at least 19" option. No dice.

I don't see any tire specs listed, though. My guess is the same as the LR4 has with comparable wheels.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only detail I can see so far is a notation on this wheel that says it requires a 285 tire:

(3) Accessory wheels must be selected with either a standard
or optional wheel and incur an additional cost. Requires 285 tire.

upload_2016-10-6_14-44-36.png

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose until we see it in person it could possibly be "the best 4x4 we've ever built" but I don't see how it could be - aside from a pretty awesome wading depth. It's just a shame they have made it look like every other suv on the road. The beauty of the discovery was it's boxy 'truckiness' being combined with civil manners on road while being a bad ass off road. It's a shame too, that the moment they come out with the diesel that I've been pining for, they turn it into an Explorer...

I guess we'll have to wait to see whether they screw up the defender or not, but from what I've seen it looks like a plasticky toy and not the traditional workhorse that it has been since it's inception.

I will say this regarding price: Back in the early '90s one of the first RRs I got (used) stickered at around $48000. Given inflation, and the vast vast amount of improvements in even a base LR4, it is pretty impressive that it can be had for around the same price as the old RR.

Oh well, maybe the new Bronco will be great!

None of the pictures you've seen will be the new Defender nor do they look look remotely close to what the defender will look like.

There's test mules running around in disguise and we will see them soon enough. I'm very confident they will put the rugged into LRs "rugged" third family.

As for the new discovery. It's better than the LR4 in every way. And that's coming from a huge LR4 admirer. The approach, break over and departure angles are all awesome for an SUV. And it's 480 kg lighter than the LR four. All of this rivals a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.

And for those of you say that it looks just like every other SUV on the road I'm really not really sure what you're smoking? It is a damn fine looking vehicle and it's also very unique looking.

LR4 is gone, unfortunately, get over it. But let's look ahead to the defender if you want something rugged. Or for god sake's just go and buy A good used LR4 or LR3 for many years to come and **** and enjoy your rig. I mean that in the nicest way possible :)

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA, man, the pictures I saw floating around yesterday made it look like the FJ Cruiser on steroids.

No one... except the designers...has any clue what it will look like at this point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA