LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As reported "Overall the Discovery takes a decisive step upmarket from its predecessor, with a more luxurious interior, much more sophisticated infotainment system and driver and safety aids."

Slotted just below RR product line, hence the jump in price and loss of Discovery styling heritage. Now looks like many SUV's already on the market. The defeature down to $49K keeps it price competitive.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Embedded within the build options menu:

TOWING OPTIONS
  • Front and Rear Towing Hooks
  • Trailer Stability Assist (TSA) (require an official JLR towbar)

Wonder what that is?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the towing tech on this car is pretty cutting edge, almost makes me want to tow something. :) TSA is some sort of system that detects sway / movement of the trailer and applies brakes selectively to maintain control in potentially dangerous towing conditions. I am especially in awe of Advanced Tow Assist, where you "point" the trailer in the direction you want it to go when backing up using TR rotary knob and rear camera, and the car steers itself accordingly, all you do is use the gas and brake pedals. That's pretty cool - and useful if you don't have much towing experience. I tried that once with a friend's car and I was all over the friggin' place when backing up his trailer.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the towing tech on this car is pretty cutting edge, almost makes me want to tow something. :) TSA is some sort of system that detects sway / movement of the trailer and applies brakes selectively to maintain control in potentially dangerous towing conditions. I am especially in awe of Advanced Tow Assist, where you "point" the trailer in the direction you want it to go when backing up using TR rotary knob and rear camera, and the car steers itself accordingly, all you do is use the gas and brake pedals. That's pretty cool - and useful if you don't have much towing experience. I tried that once with a friend's car and I was all over the friggin' place when backing up his trailer.

TSA is not new. Requiring a JLR towbar is. What capability does a towbar bring to the table? Feels more like a legal protection requirement than new technology.

Have to say there is a lot of technology added to this Discovery. Not sure that is good. Then again JLR isn't the only manufacturer turning their vehicles into video games. Suspect a good ole Colorado washboard road is going to takes its toll on these vehicles.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All these new tech for towing will probably save marriages (if you have towed and had to park in the past you know this is true lol) but it also takes away our abilities to actually do something on our own. The robots are taking over!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a departure though... I like progress, but it has quickly made the LR4 a classic design.
To me it looks like the LR5 is poured over the wheels, and given a droopy, basset hound look to it.
I dunno...that side by side looked cool at first, but they are two truck pictures taken for different purposes. If the Discovery was taken in the same angle and light as the LR4, you'd hopefully get a better sense of the vehicle clearance and wheel "spillover".

Anyone considering the diesel engine?
When gas prices were very high for a while, the diesel option became very popular. Now you don't hear as much about it...I wonder if the diesel would be a good option in anticipation of the next drastic gas price increase? Or will it be an under-performing, troublesome, stinky alternative to gas engine. (I haven driven a LR diesel before)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only heard good things about the diesel engine on rangerovers.net (it has been used for the new Sport and Range Rover since a year ago), although I have personally not driven one either. Apparently it is clean, very quiet, economical - 25/28 mpg in real mixed use is the norm - and more than adequate for everyday driving, with only a slight turbo lag on standstill acceleration that you quickly get used to, otherwise it pulls like a train with all that torque (lets' not forget the new Disco will be substantially lighter than the LR4.)

Besides the savings at the pump, I wouldn't mind to finally being able to get a 500+ mile range with a tankful, honestly. I'd happily give up a second of 0-60 acceleration for that. I was hoping Land Rover would have introduced its new Ingenium engines along with the new Disco, but unfortunately all the engine choices are carryovers for now (the current TD6 is a Ford derived engine.) Maybe that'll happen in 2-3 years, when I am in the market for a replacement... For the driving I do, a diesel would be / will be a no-brainer.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a departure though... I like progress, but it has quickly made the LR4 a classic design.
To me it looks like the LR5 is poured over the wheels, and given a droopy, basset hound look to it.
View attachment 6556

In the Discovery video they mention that you can have automatic access height when you exit the vehicle. Looks like the Discovery in that picture is at access height.

GeorgeY

Reaction score
"good things about the diesel"

I read there is some lag with the diesel.
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/43-range-rover-sport-ii-l494/240002-diesel-lag-mileage-overall.html

The engines seem weak in the new Discovery. The base price seems reasonable but there is no V8 power with either engine. But the lower weight should help.

I also heard there is constant two way communications as far as vehicle location. Tin foil hat on.

The new Discovery seems to be a nice crossover with Ford Explorer looks, but it is no beast. Bring on the new Defender!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone considering the diesel engine?
When gas prices were very high for a while, the diesel option became very popular. Now you don't hear as much about it...I wonder if the diesel would be a good option in anticipation of the next drastic gas price increase? Or will it be an under-performing, troublesome, stinky alternative to gas engine. (I haven driven a LR diesel before)

The idea of diesel engines as under-performing, stinky alternatives to gas engines is an antiquated notion. In vehicles like these, diesel engines are almost universally superior to petrol if a few horsepower doesn't make that big of a deal.

I would get one for the increased range alone.

Also, there have been rumors that we can expect more expensive gas again in the near future now that OPEC has stuck a deal to cut production.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72