LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've stayed away from Disco 5 debate; what it is, what it isn't...
However i can say this, it has grown on me for sure.
Last May I was in the Solihull factory (without being too specific, my work has something to do with the rivet guns that bond the aluminum panels ;)) I cam across 3 Disco 5 being put through pre-productions runs. all I saw was the body, no paint, no interior, no finished bits whatsoever. I enjoyed the experience, but the shape left me wanting a bit more.
Now that I have seen the full production version in person, and have digested as many articles and pictures I can.
I can now say, I will be a buyer. Not the first year or two, but definitely after I phase my LR4 out of daily activities.

Sure there are a few negatives; the design is a bit soccer momish, again with the too large for practicality wheels, too luxurious to bring in some Land Rover of old feelings(think early defender, and Series).
But the positives far out weigh the negatives at this point.

Jerbo

Reaction score
I've stayed away from Disco 5 debate; what it is, what it isn't...
However i can say this, it has grown on me for sure.
Last May I was in the Solihull factory (without being too specific, my work has something to do with the rivet guns that bond the aluminum panels ;)) I cam across 3 Disco 5 being put through pre-productions runs. all I saw was the body, no paint, no interior, no finished bits whatsoever. I enjoyed the experience, but the shape left me wanting a bit more.
Now that I have seen the full production version in person, and have digested as many articles and pictures I can.
I can now say, I will be a buyer. Not the first year or two, but definitely after I phase my LR4 out of daily activities.

Sure there are a few negatives; the design is a bit soccer momish, again with the too large for practicality wheels, too luxurious to bring in some Land Rover of old feelings(think early defender, and Series).
But the positives far out weigh the negatives at this point.

I agree, I actually hated the LR3 when I first saw it, now I love it. I hated the new Range Rover when I saw it, now I love it. I think it takes time to adjust to the new body styling. Additionally, I think the details will change as the model ages, I can already see it getting some sharper lines via styling or trim. An actual roof rack with gear mounted on top, a winch, and more aggressive tires will also make a huge difference, plus mud. Bright and shiny is the worst look for a LR IMOP.

Eventually we will have to swallow the stupid rear windows, lift gate, and interior, but to your point hopefully the pros will out way the cons.

Only boogie is the new defender. If that is a home run, has the same basic capabilities (I have heard same drive train, suspension, and chassis as the D5), but with more utilitarian styling I will be very pleased. I mean my problem with the current defender (state side) is that I can't plop my wife in the car all dressed up and park at the country club with the same ease as I can in the LR4. Hopefully the new defender allows me to do that, and as much as we all wish it wasn't the case, most of us spend more time driving to dinner than we do driving on trails. (Side note, I want to open a restaurant called the Rover Cafe, great food, good beer, good wine, 5 mile long drive way, with rocks, streams, and a challenging technical section in the way).

Last edited:

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I actually hated the LR3 when I first saw it, now I love it. I hated the new Range Rover when I saw it, now I love it. I think it takes time to adjust to the new body styling. Additionally, I think the details will change as the model ages, I can already see it getting some sharper lines via styling or trim. An actual roof rack with gear mounted on top, a winch, and more aggressive tires will also make a huge difference, plus mud. Bright and shiny is the worst look for a LR IMOP.

Eventually we will have to swallow the stupid rear windows, lift gate, and interior, but to your point hopefully the pros will out way the cons.

Only boogie is the new defender. If that is a home run, has the same basic capabilities (I have heard same drive train, suspension, and chassis as the D5), but with more utilitarian styling I will be very pleased. I mean my problem with the current defender (state side) is that I can't plop my wife in the car all dressed up and park at the country club with the same ease as I can in the LR4. Hopefully the new defender allows me to do that, and as much as we all wish it wasn't the case, most of us spend more time driving to dinner than we do driving on trails. (Side note, I want to open a restaurant called the Rover Cafe, great food, good beer, good wine, 5 mile long drive way, with rocks, streams, and a challenging technical section in the way).

I like the idea of the "Rover Cafe". It would be like a monastery high in the mountains, a place of peace and worship.. only for Land Rovers. Hard to get to but worth the journey :D
Although given the vastness of our country it would be hard to pick the right spot.

You are correct with the appropriate gear and associated item, it will look like a true Land Rover. The uproar over the styling reminds me when BMW released the "new" style for the 5 series, now we cannot remember life without the trademark styling. As humans we lack the propensity to see the future, and enjoy change. We like "business as usual", it keep us comfortable in our bubbles. Look at the Defender guys right now. Anything less than the original Defender will make the rest of them lose their hair. I am looking forward to it. Land Rover has never disappointed, they have tried. But once we get a chance to digest the information, and everyone puts the pitch forks down, we can to begin to enjoy it for what it is.

LR has to adapt, and compete if they want to continue their growth, and market segment **********. The only way to do this is to appeal to a wider demographic, which they are doing. ALL vehicles now a days look like each other, as we approach an era of a compromise between fuel efficiency and style. They can only round so many corners before we start driving bubbles.

Every generation of vehicle has to stand on it's own merits, for prosperity sake. However there has to be enough carry over, in a brand like Land Rover, to have tangible characteristics from previous generations. Without history we have no future (said by someone who I cannot remember ;))

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The criticism of the LR5 styling and 'features' are that they are not new, already available at your local dealer. It is Ford Explorer warmed over with a minivan rear. In fact if Ford acquired Land Rover today, I would not be surprised to see one of them disappear.

Jerbo

Reaction score
I like the idea of the "Rover Cafe". It would be like a monastery high in the mountains, a place of peace and worship.. only for Land Rovers. Hard to get to but worth the journey :D
Although given the vastness of our country it would be hard to pick the right spot.

You are correct with the appropriate gear and associated item, it will look like a true Land Rover. The uproar over the styling reminds me when BMW released the "new" style for the 5 series, now we cannot remember life without the trademark styling. As humans we lack the propensity to see the future, and enjoy change. We like "business as usual", it keep us comfortable in our bubbles. Look at the Defender guys right now. Anything less than the original Defender will make the rest of them lose their hair. I am looking forward to it. Land Rover has never disappointed, they have tried. But once we get a chance to digest the information, and everyone puts the pitch forks down, we can to begin to enjoy it for what it is.

LR has to adapt, and compete if they want to continue their growth, and market segment **********. The only way to do this is to appeal to a wider demographic, which they are doing. ALL vehicles now a days look like each other, as we approach an era of a compromise between fuel efficiency and style. They can only round so many corners before we start driving bubbles.

Every generation of vehicle has to stand on it's own merits, for prosperity sake. However there has to be enough carry over, in a brand like Land Rover, to have tangible characteristics from previous generations. Without history we have no future (said by someone who I cannot remember ;))

Something like you enter your VIN and you get as set of coordinates and a secret pass code.

What I really don't want to see is LR dilute the brand at the risk of heritage. I am all for going after a large section of the population, trying to expand market share, but they shouldn't boff at the things that got them to where they are. First and foremost LRs are a pleasure to ride in, a pleasure to drive, and a pleasure to use. Rear windows remove the rear seat pleasure as you now can't comfortably hold your hand outside and surf the wind (we all do it), I have heard the driving position in D5 is not as commanding as LR4 (something about more hood), and no split tailgate. To me those things are a departure from the heritage, not a new body style.

My prediction for the brand is.

Range Rover -> More expensive, more elite
Discovery -> Mid level, soccer moms, family SUV
Defender -> everybody that has a LR3 and LR4 because they can't get a defender, plus some very ****** off people who could get defenders

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Discovery has grown on me too. Just left my accountant and he wants me to buy a new SUV in 2017 for business. I was considering a Q7 but I like the Discovery better (from what I have seen) so I'll order one. But we're keeping my wife's "garage queen" LR4 forever.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Eventually we will have to swallow the stupid rear windows, lift gate, and interior, but to your point hopefully the pros will out way the cons.

Only boogie is the new defender. If that is a home run, has the same basic capabilities...
They are such big pills to swallow, though.

At this point, I don't trust LR to wait for the new Defender. Look at all the Sports, Evoques and Velars they have released while we have been waiting for the "LR5", Defender, and a diesel engine option. Their priority is no longer on giving us utilitarian trucks, and probably has not been for some time. AWD luxury pavement crossovers is what they make now.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20170302-135357.jpg

D5 w/ GY Duratrac tires, a winch and the ride height set to "offroad" ---- Do I think it looks better? ABSOLUTLEY! No doubt in my mind! In fact it looks pretty aggressive this way and changed my mind on how I see the new D5 compared to the original photos releases.... Do I think it looks like a utilitarian truck that is not only iconic but can be easily distinguished as a Land Rover...nope. Regardless how you put lipstick on it, to me at least, it still looks like a Ford Explorer with beefy tires and a winch. Nothing about it sets it apart from the neo-SUVs that are selling for half as much, nor does it have a character distinctly of it's own which you would expect out of a high end SUV. I would really have to talk myself into liking it to purchase it, which I cannot do. Because when I am dropping in the area of $65k on a vehicle I am more of a "love at first sight" instead of a "it'll grow on me" type of guy. But that's just my BS opinion for what it's worth.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would really have to talk myself into liking it to purchase it, which I cannot do. Because when I am dropping in the area of $65k on a vehicle I am more of a "love at first sight" instead of a "it'll grow on me" type of guy. But that's just my BS opinion for what it's worth.

I say that but then I'll probably be asking what is the best roof rack for my new D5 in 3 years....lol

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Building a LR5 that is on-par to my 2011 LR4 Lux with HD, Climate, Vision, etc would be $70K. Add in dealer prep, taxes and misc crap would put this over $75K, approaching $80K.

That would be $55K over my 2011 LR4 at today's prices.

.........I could buy 2 more LR4's

Edit add: I'm not spending $80K on the next generation LR5/Discovery.

Last edited: