Lucky 8 LR4 ARB Rear Locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the chance and had Lucky8 build one for my 08 Range Rover Supercharged Sport. Worked awesome on the one trail I made it out to. But, after only a few thousand miles grinding started, Pinion bearing had failed. It was repaired by Lucky8. They covered parts, I paid shipping cost. Reinstalled and grinding came back again within a thousand miles. Axle output bearings are rough and gears are producing tons more metal. I’d guess the gears are worn and shot, from the initial failure. I’ve tried so many times to get a response back, but to no avail. So I have a barley used, bad ARB locked rear diff for a L320 SC (higher gearing) that sits until I find a trusted shop to rebuild it again.
Aw mate. Sorry to hear this. This was exactly the type of fear I had about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHRIS APALLAS

Reaction score
I gather nothing new here? My pursuit of a 10-13 LR4 HD is basically impossible so debating whether seeking out a Non-HD and relying on the Lucky8 option. Anyone here?? Seems like Lucky8 should have some customer references if they had done it, tested it, and recommended it.

CHRIS APALLAS

Reaction score
Riiight, but as that guy said, he's an aircraft mechanical engineer! :adore:
Intense project. An ARB would be cool, and they are proven, if someone ever does it...

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gather nothing new here? My pursuit of a 10-13 LR4 HD is basically impossible so debating whether seeking out a Non-HD and relying on the Lucky8 option. Anyone here?? Seems like Lucky8 should have some customer references if they had done it, tested it, and recommended it.
How long have you been looking for? I spent 9 months to find my car, and in that time I only came across maybe 5 rear lockers.

CHRIS APALLAS

Reaction score
Oooohh OK. Good to know. About a month so far. So local to me in the bay area, I've seen two. A white one-owner local car with 100k and full service sold within about 12 hours here. I missed that one. I gambled and didn't take off to go get it thinking I could see it the next day. Gone. The other was a bronze one I posted earlier about, a bit over-priced, and I got the sense of timing chain guide rattle, so I passed on it. It sold in a week from a dealer.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I read that [mention]K9ROVER [/mention] had his Lucky8 diff swap fail TWICE I wrote off that option. Personally I've decided to keep my non-HD truck since I've done so much maintenance on it and it works quite decently off-road without the locker. I looked at probably 50 trucks for about 5 months until I found the right combination of price, value, service history and ultimately decided to go for a non-HD because it was there and was the right deal and right vehicle at the right time. Knowing what I know now, I'd be less worried about the locker and think of it as a nice to have, not a must have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having wheeled my non-HD 2012 LR4 for the near-5 years I've owned it, the only time I've really wished I had the locker is in muddy conditions. I went all over the dry and rocky Ouray-Silverton-Lake City area of Colorado and didn't miss the locker once.

These trails aren't too difficult, though, apart from the pucker factor (and Poughkeepsie Gulch, which I did not do). But they are pretty much what I want to do in my vehicle, so the LR4 has worked out great.

And I've taken a "keep it looking stock" approach to mine. Getting 18" wheels with aired down tires would only make it better.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having wheeled my non-HD 2012 LR4 for the near-5 years I've owned it, the only time I've really wished I had the locker is in muddy conditions. I went all over the dry and rocky Ouray-Silverton-Lake City area of Colorado and didn't miss the locker once.

These trails aren't too difficult, though, apart from the pucker factor (and Poughkeepsie Gulch, which I did not do). But they are pretty much what I want to do in my vehicle, so the LR4 has worked out great.

And I've taken a "keep it looking stock" approach to mine. Getting 18" wheels with aired down tires would only make it better.

Here is mine climbing "the wall" at Poughkeepsie many years ago. ;)

Excuse my buddy's doofus commentary, and skip to about 2:00 for the driving.

To each their own, but I wouldn't have one without a locker, and now have an airlocker in the front as well. These are big, heavy rigs. They need all the help they can get IMO.

I bought mine new, and it was a pain to get one with a locker even then. I walked out of one dealer as they flatly refused to order me one with the HD option. Ended up going to San Antonio from Houston to get mine.

If anyone is looking for a skilled differential guy, I have someone in Austin, TX that I can recommend. He installed my front locker and it has been flawless after thousands of miles. He knows Rovers and has done many in his shop. Shoot me a PM if needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72