Made the move from LRII to LRIII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well....I'd suggest getting an IIDTool and getting serious about diagnosing the issues. Then I would take them down one at a time and use OEM parts and don't take **** apart.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you suggest? I'm not happy to have to do this BS either. I'm actually seriously asking you, what do you suggest? I have it, and I'm in it for $5500 - want it? My List is down to

Trans Fault

Cruise Control Not Permitted

Check Brake Pads / Brakes

Engine System Fault

Low Coolant Level

Suspension Fault

Follow Me Home Lights On

HDC Fault System Unavailable

"Your Car Is Tipping Over" Warning light

"Too Late, Your Car Tipped Over" Warning light

Lots of your “faults” are not faults or due to your work already done without knowing what your doing.

Check Brake pads - there are wear sensors on each wheel that need to be replaced when you replace pads

Suspension fault - you took out the air suspension but didn’t reprogram the computer to turn off all the sensors and warnings. Read the instructions that came with the coil over kit. If you didn’t get information on how to reprogram you got a cheap kit that I’m not sure I would trust.

Follow me home lights - a message when you turn off the LR3 that the headlights will stay on for a certain period of time after you exit. Not a fault at all. You can also turn this off in the vehicle settings screen.

Cruise control and HDC are because you have a suspension fault and the vehicle needs information from there to know whether or not it’s safe to do what it thinks it wants do do.

Low coolant - known issue with the float getting water logged and sinking in the expansion tank. Easiest fix is to replace expansion tank.

Can’t help with trans and engine faults without knowing more real codes.

The IID tool is what will get you through most of this. It is invaluable and probably would have saved you more than the cost of it already. These vehicles are not like yesteryear are nothing interacted with each other. Computers now want to know what is happening in one area as to know if doing something in another is safe. Pulling crap out because you don’t want to see it is a recipe for a vehicle that won’t start or drive properly. Find the real issues and it will go much smoother.

Unusual-Auto

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. You can't take my approach personally - I would love to have a working driving LRIII, I simply refuse to pay a fortune to make it happen. I mean no insult whatsoever to the many who suffer thru these same problems. I have owned an OBDII reader, and upgraded same, since they came out. I'm aware of what is causing the faults for the brakes (sensors) coolant (waterlogged float) and most of the suspension faults (reprogramming suspension control unit) I just have not had the time to get to them yet. I wanted to chronicle it here simply for the humor aspect, as well a if someone else on the planet, like myself, has said "Just #$%^& enough already"

A very good friend of mine works at a dealership that sells four different makes of cars, including Rover. They have a service department with 22 bays, 18 of which are committed to Rover, the other 4 for the other 4 brands they sell. There is something wrong with that.

Regarding OEM parts - I've read elsewhere that the use of a non-oem bulb in one place will cause failures elsewhere in the car - that is just messed up. Last night was the first night I drove this thing in the quiet. It cost me an hours time and no money. Can't beat that with a stick.

Unusual-Auto

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what this is? It blinks till I push it, then it goes off, but that seems kind of pointless, yes? I actually do have the Owners manual for this HSE, yet I can't find the reason for the blinking button. Until I know better I am assuming it is the "You are peeing on a traffic cone" button
IMG_5176.JPG

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the park distance assistance function. Dude...you just seem like someone that doesn't want to do things the right way. You've been given good advice. If you choose to ignore it then you reap what you sow. I do hope you take heed and buy an IIDTool and use genuine parts and fix things as needed and not try to take shortcuts. It won't work....

Unusual-Auto

Reaction score
Why is this thread disturbing/upsetting to people? It is a Vehicle. I am not my vehicle, you are not yours. I'm not taking shortcuts, I am correcting errors built into the vehicle in an alternative manner. I truly believe that. This vehicle is EXACTLY like the fantastic HP printers that are FANTASTIC quality, for like $100. But they run out of ink every 4 weeks, and the ink costs $300. I truly believe that as well.

I have an OBDII scanner. Have had one since there was OBDII. You guys are going to HATE the way I fix the low coolant and "Check Brake Pads" error.

I'll stop posting if you find no humour in it or feel it is personally insulting. I mean no disrespect to people. The LR III is a Rover Mechanic's Dream Come True.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes....keep posting. It will be entertaining. I think we are just trying to level you out. The LR3 is not a Toyota and the IIDTool is not a generic OBDII code reader.

Also, the tail light bulbs don't need to be OEM....they just can't be ****, and care has to be taken that they are installed with the filaments oriented vertically.

Unusual-Auto

Reaction score
Why? That's the main reason to *keep* posting. I'm here from the LR4 forum just to follow this thread. We need to get you an LR4 so you can riff in our section!
Bite your tongue! If I had any clue it would have been like this, I would have kept the Disco II and dropped $4k into her. If I were to ever to get an LR again after this it would be a Disco II, or a restored 60s-70s unit that just drips the thoughts of "Savanna Safari" on it. I misunderstood - there is another computer reading tool other than the OBDII tool? Uh, no.

Our family had a joke because we never read instruction manuals. We always said that the instructions were simply someone else's opinion on how to do something. I in no way feel I am cutting corners. I would NEVER do anything to put my family's life in danger. But I felt the constant noise was more of distraction driving than the underlying things that it was telling me common sense info about. Low coolant level? No its not, Check brake pads? Uh, they are all new. Snip, snip, goodbye dings & dongs, no more meaningless distractions. I've owned more cars in my life than I have lived in years - never have I had to have one remind me to check brake pads, check coolant level, check oil level. When you own a car, you check that yourself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA