Made the move from LRII to LRIII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low coolant level? No its not

The low coolant fault may be an $8 sensor that won't require a tank replacement or MacGyver hack, but I do look forward to hearing the idea you warned us about for resolving that...

https://www.landroverworld.org/posts/187670/

We always said that the instructions were simply someone else's opinion on how to do something.

I read that to my wife and she LOL'd, saying she's going to use that line from now on. She has similar disdain for instructions. She's an excellent cook but oftentimes will leave out key ingredients when following a recipe. Her food still tastes delicious but it gives us a good laugh.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what this is? It blinks till I push it, then it goes off, but that seems kind of pointless, yes? I actually do have the Owners manual for this HSE, yet I can't find the reason for the blinking button. Until I know better I am assuming it is the "You are peeing on a traffic cone" button
View attachment 8771

I don't know. At first I thought this was funny...now I wonder if you're playing a fool or trying to make us answer everything. It might be time to ditch it and go back to a disco 2 if these little things are over your head.

Unusual-Auto

Reaction score
I don't know. At first I thought this was funny...now I wonder if you're playing a fool or trying to make us answer everything. It might be time to ditch it and go back to a disco 2 if these little things are over your head.
Two very important points - One -I have not asked for assistance on anything except for identifying certain warning lights that I - no kidding - could not find even in the owners manual. I have not asked anyone how to fix anything, I don't think. I have stated how I am going to fix these things without it costing me an arm or a leg - or a dime - and have offered to photo document the fun. Two - Rest assured, I am no fool, playing or not. These "little things" are not "over my head" whatsoever; I believe it is ridiculous that these "little things" even exist. Follow me home lights? 14 settings for off road? I believe you would be surprised with my knowledge of vehicles. It simply boggles my mind that ANY vehicle would be purposely designed so overly, needlessly complicated and fragile.I have named my HSE "Buttercup".

Also, when I say I am quite versed on vehicles, that does not mean I have a computer link-up that tells me what may (or may not be) wrong with my car. Any 12 year old kid can do that. It means I know what the computer is doing and when, why and how. I can smell what is wrong with a car 7 times out of 10. To computerize headlights - Do I really need to say it?

I try to be funny because it keeps me from crying - I had a 65 bug as my first vehicle when I was 10. I would without hesitation trust that bug on a non-stop trip across America over Buttercup.

I'll post once more in a week or so when I'm done. I meant no insult to people or people who own these.

EDIT - I apologize to everyone.I mean/meant no insult. With everything in the world, there is not just two ways to fix something, RIGHT and WRONG, and I just put that philosophy towards the LRIII. Allow me please to be silly as an example; If there were a sensor on the LRIII that would put it into limp mode if there were Martians detected nearby (Rover, that is NOT a suggestion), and for some reason that sensor was malfunctioning and causing my LRIII to always be in limp mode, I would never fix that sensor, as it is stupid, meaningless, and probably costs as much as my mortgage payment to fix. I would bypass/disconnect/**** that sensor so I could drive. I don't care if it is right or wrong to do that, it is what makes sense for me.

First car book I ever read was How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot. Anyone who has ever read that book and understands where the writer is coming from knows my mechanical/car head completely.

I am by affliction a Toyota Land Cruiser nut, and I guess if someone talked about my LandCruisers the way I have been talking about LRIIIs, I'd be ****** too. (selling one on eBay if interested https://www.ebay.com/itm/332915112969)

With utmost respect - Michael

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to apologize, realize though that the problem is not with the vehicle. You refusing to fix things properly only exacerbates your problems. Naming your vehicle Buttercup is not appropriate, the LR3 is plenty rugged and is the most capable Rover ever (outside of the defender MAYBE) but the maintenance scenario is just different. An IIDTool is more vital a piece of kit than a screw driver, for example.

So add all the levity you want....but don't put the blame on your LR3.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to be funny because it keeps me from crying

I have enjoyed the comic stylings and have zero reason to take any of it personally. Also, you can name your vehicle whatever you like; it's still a free country. I look forward to updates.

BTW, the Land Cruiser looks nice!

Unusual-Auto

Reaction score
OK - Now the ***** is just being spiteful.

Both sides, the door trim fell off. Both on the same day. I have a tube of "Liquid Nails" somewhere. Gotta show Buttercup who the boss is.

IMG_5341.JPG IMG_5342.JPG

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hehe you had your work cut out for you!

I loved my LRII - put 300k miles on it. It blew a head gasket in there somewhere, but it was nothing Bars Leak could not fix. Two or three times. A few sets of tires, could actually go off-road in it if I wanted to (nothing major) LOVED that car. But all good things must end - Paint had mostly fallen off, windshield was cracked, tires were gone - she had treated me well, and she was retired. I beat the crap out of that car, but maintained it myself - She treated me well (I'm Mechanically inclined, plus not going anywhere near a mechanic that has "Rover" on his shirt - they own houses nicer than mine.)

I was given a very nice deal ($2500) for an excellent looking LR3 HSE that appeared to be in awesome shape. It was cheap because the air-ride was flaky (as in it didn't work, nobody could fix it, and it was half-way disassembled) and it needed rear brakes. I can do this.

Atlantic British for the Coilover Replacement for the airbag suspension ($1200, and what a ***** to put in - although I cannot recommend the company more highly) and new rotors & pads for rear brakes ($150). It is finally up off the ground, and now I can see how this beauty works. YAY!! Turn the key - click click click - Bad battery ($150). Ok, get her started and HOLY DEAR GOD ALMIGHTY WHAT IS ALL THAT FREAKING NOISE? Not mechanical sounds (I can't hear the engine at all) I'm talking about warning lights, buzzers, dingers, dongers, sirens, flashing lights, warnings, I swear to GOD somewhere in there it was saying "Yo Mama, Yo Mama" If I was epileptic, I would have gone into a seizure.

My beloved LRII once in a while would flash the "Check Engine" light, maybe the three amigos, saying, in a gentle voice "not important, mate, but when you get a chance. Or not."

The new LRIII? Wife wouldn't get in it. This is summer, Mind you,and we also find the front two windows do not open or close. Neither does the rear hatch. Left front window is the switch cluster ($100), right front window is those two cheap plastic tabs at the bottom of the glass broken off. We closed the window & disconnected the switch, since you cannot buy those pieces anywhere on the planet.

I drive the car for a few days, and a grinding noise starts up front, sounds exactly like brake pads worn out & hitting rotor - but it's not, brakes are fine. Gets worse an worse over the days, wife won't drive it, I say screw it, I put it on CL for $1500, just to recoup SOMETHING. 6 people stop by, each wants to bring it to their Land Rover mechanic, and they will buy it if fix is under $250. No fix for this vehicle will ever be under $250. I cancel the for sale ad.

I jack it up, Wheel feels like it is not even being held on. Wheel bearing units are shot. So we get two wheel bearing units, all the brakes, and the CVs & Axles for both sides (because I will never take it apart again) ($800) and I do something I have never done in my 53 years of life - I hire a mechanic. A REAL mechanic, one that, when I limped this beast in there, he said "I never worked on a Land Rover, But a Car is a Car." I love this guy. If it has 4 wheels and an engine, he can fix it.

I had thrown all the new parts in the back seat, told him to go at it. He calls me 5 hours later & it is done. ($600)

I've driven the car a few times and, I must admit, she is VERY comfortable (as long as I have ear plugs in) The display says, check brake pads (with BRAKE warning light that foes on and off very three seconds with a "Ding", Suspension fault lights & dinging, engine fault warning, light, and donging, transmission fault (saw that a few times) has gone into limp mode a time or two, won't accelerate, then it runs just fine, tells me my "follow home lights" are on (*** are those?) and I swear that I heard it again say something about my mother. This is all within 40 minutes of driving. Oh, and at the beginning of that 40 minutes of driving? I run over the UPS package that contains all the @#$%^&* parts for the car, such as rear hatch actuator and some trim pieces. Mechanic wants to put an inspection sticker on it cause he feels bad, but the damn thing needs tires. Plus he believes the damn this is possessed because every time he gets in it, it starts talking about his mother.

My goal, in life, is to drive this thing for 1/2 an hour with no digs, dongs, or warning lights. I'm well aware that it is a fool's errand, I am throwing good money after bad, but that it what I want - just 1/2 hour of noiseless, no warning driving. I'll document my work on this thread.

Then I am going to set the ***** on fire and find another 2001 LRII

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I've seen this post and it's two years old but resurrected yesterday. I would love to hear from Michael to see what has happened in 2 years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV