Maintenance concerns???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fireangel1313

Reaction score
They do not filter as well, potential to foul sensors and since there are two filters stock flows more than the engine can handle. If you plan on using your LR4 for its intended purpose I would be more concerned with filtering capability (dust) than flow.

Okay, will definitely keep that in mind, I plan on doing a lot of everything so I may consider something different, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fireangel1313

Reaction score
Every time I get in my LR4 I find something else I love about it! I plan on keeping it for a looooong time! I just don’t know what else to buy after this thing finally dies. Maybe the 2020 Defender, it looks to be a bad ass.

Chris Brown

Reaction score
Glad you are happy with your LR4. Back in March we bought a 2013 white LR4 and loved it until about a week ago it suddenly wouldn't start. First time it happened, had AAA tow it to a local mechanic who found no battery, alternator issues and concluded the 'computer is fried'. Drove it to our hometown mechanic who found no issues and started it fine. When I got the car home, once again, the car wouldn't start. I read in this forum that I should walk away for 10 minutes so the computer can reboot and that worked. I don't, however, have the luxury to be able to walk away form the car for 10 minutes each time I stop it. it is currently with mechanic and they have no idea what the problem is. I read that LR4's have issues with the fob interacting with the ignition. Both fobs have had this same non-starting problem. Extremely frustrating and it looks like I will just have to bring it home and only drive when I can plan the extra ten minutes to allow the computer to reboot.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 13 in December of last year so I can chime in. It was in good shape with CPO until this March. It had 70k and is about to hit 80. Since then, i have done the following:

-oil change at 75k. Easiest oil change ever, with a Mityvac. M1 ep 5w-20.
-transmission fluid change using AB's kit. Also did diff fluids/xfer case.

Thats it. Front lca's are clunking a bit, have poly bushes ready to install. Need to do water pump and xover pipe but its not leaking at the moment. Truck has been dead reliable, with multiple 300+ mile trips under its belt. Zero codes, zero issues. I love driving it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

PoppyAnn

Reaction score
If new to me, I would do the following, and probably some others as I think about it:

Front Rear Differential Fluid
T-Case Fluid
Brake Fluid
Engine Oil and Filter
Transmission Fluid and Filter - Very unlikely this has been done previously, and it NEEDS it at 90K. I don't care what the manual says.
Coolant Flush and fill

Inspect:
All control arm suspension bushings. Look for damage. Jack the truck up and use prybar to check for play. Drive and listen for clunks.
Rear wheel knuckle bushings - 2 on each side
Sway bar bushings. These are likely shot if they are original.
Water pump. Check CLOSELY for signs of leakage.
Both accessory drive belts
Wheel bearings. Get the truck in the air and check for play.
Timing Chain. Listen very closely at startup for clunking. Pull oil fill cap and check tension on the chain you can see/touch.
Plastic coolant crossover pipes. you have 2. I would probably replace these preemptively on a new to me truck.
Battery condition - These trucks are not tolerant of a weak/failing battery
Sway bar end links - front and rear
Ball joints - upper and lower in front
Tie Rod end links in the front
Sunroof water drains - 2 front, 2 rear - make sure water flows through to underneath truck without leaks inside

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but the above list probably covers 90% of the issues people post here about outside of tire/wheel issues.

They are great trucks, but at 90K you might be looking at a fair amount of work to get it shipshape if previous owners skimped on maintenance. Get it squared away, and it will serve you well.

On the hitch insert, I believe there is a roll pin that can be punched out to remove the locking mechanism if the key is not available.

You are making me think about the one Ibought a few weeks ago that also is a 2013 model and has 210000 on the clock engine and transition sound great also drives great with no knocks or cluncks it is an ex police car and most mileage would have been on the motorway I am about to put it in for a 24 month service to make sure that the oils and filters have been changed at least, do you have anything else I should be looking at as well?

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are making me think about the one Ibought a few weeks ago that also is a 3013 model and has 210000 on the clock engine and transition sound great also drives great with no knocks or cluncks it is an ex police car and most mileage would have been on the motorway I am about to put it in for a 24 month service to make sure that the oils and filters have been changed at least, do you have anything else I should be looking at as well?

Are you in the UK? Just guessing based on it having been used as a police car. ;-)

fireangel1313

Reaction score
Well, all bearings are good and bushings look and feel good too! Suspension seems solid and so do the shocks. Dealer said steer joints were replaced and they look fairly new.

Just had a hard rain and front right drain is leaking so I have parts on order for that. Next item on the list is the tranny fluid and diff fluids...

BTW, the dealer said they changed the oil with full synthetic, told me I could go 10,000 miles before a change but I’m thinking with the possibility of timing chain issues down the road, that would be a bad idea. Plus I’ve never gone that long before! What are your thoughts?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most change their oil at 7,000, max. I wouldn't push it to 10,000.

PoppyAnn

Reaction score
Are you in the UK? Just guessing based on it having been used as a police car. ;-)
Yes in uk living in Mansfield at the moment I don't tend to do that many miles per year going down to my caravan in devon is the longest trip and that is only 225 miles each way I think I only average 3500 to 5000 miles a year I use to do 50,000 per year in the past as a service engineer but retired now and just taking it easy, now I have the time to do my own work I am to knackered to do it so have to put it in garage and let someone else do it and part with the money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV