Making a case for the D5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D5 demo day was a real education.

Why Land Rover has to hide something so capable in sheep's clothing - well if it sells, OK, but ...

The previous Discovery's all looked to be what they are - the D5, not so certain.

I am not kidding re the glass roof popping out, (not), - and while no one was opening doors, (well hardly breathing even), there was not a creak from the body.

I gather the doors would open and close as normal - it is solid. Needless to say, since it only took a bit of weight shifting, opening a door would have been a real no no perched up on the precipice - particularly the wrong door.

Greg9504

Reaction score
The bending moments would have popped the sunroof out of an Explorer had it even got to the top.

The tailgate window on my LR3 shattered while it was parked. I'll call it a tie.
brokenwindow_002.jpg

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, what we do know it that it was not the deep bass from the lower tailgate woofer.

It was probably the infotainment system antenna within the rear hatch upper glass straining for more Boston Pops.

COangela

Reaction score
I appreciate this feedback. I really do. But I still can't like it - even a little. It just looks like EVERY OTHER VEHICLE coming out these days. Weird shaped marshmallows with no real personality. The sides of my face have permanent indents from my hands these days.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is interesting because I went with this because it does not look like every other vehicle. It may be where I am at and the sheer number of BMW's, Denalis, Escalades, and Audi's. The local PD uses the Explorer and nobody has confused it for an Explorer - or anything else.

I am receiving a lot of compliments from strangers in public - which admittedly I am surprised. The weird shaped marshmallow IS its personality. It is just not continuing the boxy legacy of the LR series - which I wish it would have done.

You just will not get it - just like the painting in the mall that hides a unicorn dancing while holding a torch.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a Disco 2 I'd also argue the LR3/LR4 should be viewed the same way, the LR3/LR4 feel like a completely different vehicle as well (not that it's a bad thing). Similar things happen with other companies as well. E21/E30 to E36/E46 to E90/F30 in the BMW world is also a fair comparison to D1/D2 to LR3/LR4 to D5.

Though I do agree it is similar to RRS in styling and interior the pricing isn't too far off (comparable specs actually don't make it that much cheaper - at least not materially - if you can afford $80k you can likely afford the $85k the similar RRS costs) but I do believe the drive characteristics is still very similar to the LR4 (note I traded in both an LR4 and RRS at the same time for D5). It really is like if they had a child - though I'll admit it's more like a 60/40 RRS/LR4 split in terms of DNA transferred.

I owned a D2 as well along with an LR3 and now two LR4. The D2 was quite different in some ways but overall very similar in regards to the way it rode, the layout of the greenhouse, the alpine roof etc. Where the major difference and improvement was found was under the hood.

There aren't going to be too many D5 vehicles spec'd to their highest point and topping out their heavily optioned price tag. Outside of a few "First Edition" models that the Neophiliacs will purchase so the gap between the top dog D5 and the RRS will rarely meet. The delta between the two at base price vs base price is nearly $30k.

In the BMW the greatest deviation was the E39 to E60 which was met with great criticism and when the F10 arrived it was more of a revised E39 than an evolved version of an E60. Similar with the 996. Most P-Car purists and Enthusiasts hate(d) it and with the 997 all the bits and design elements were eliminated. I do not think any of these scenarios will pan out with the D5 and LR went directly for the Soccer-Mom / City Slicker who needs a practical suv with a luxury badge in an affordable price range.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really. In terms of interior and exterior they are nearly identical:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/compa...ver-Range-Rover-Sport_d152_d834#section-specs

I should have been more specific - I was looking in terms of cargo and 3rd row. Also the D5 does squeeze a few inches in length and height.

While your other post has good points, I am not sure they are going after the soccer mom market anymore than the LR4. I have not seen any marketing to that end. They definitely softened the lines but that was to bring it into the Range Rover fold and more commonality. It was also to make it more "modern and chic". I am not trying to justify it - I am more ****** than you that they lost the boxiness - but after driving the D5, it is still a better vehicle than the LR4. I am a Blackberry guy and miss my LR4.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate it for what it is and an LR4 revision it is not. In my opinion it is a Land Rover that is more practical and appealing to the masses than what it's predecessors offered. The comical thing is despite my initial dissatisfaction I am sure I will own one down the road. After that point I will have a better review and opinion of the vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72