Making a case for the D5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate it for what it is and an LR4 revision it is not. In my opinion it is a Land Rover that is more practical and appealing to the masses than what it's predecessors offered.

Agreed - unfortunately they will ***** themselves out for it. All the luxury lines are losing their heritage by coming out with cheaper lines that appeal to the masses to drive sales up. I am not a elitist but I do enjoy driving a vehicle that is not on every corner and has some class behind it. I think JLR starting do that with the Disco Sport - horrible vehicle and makes me want to scrub all traces of "Discovery" of my D5. BMW did it with the 1 and 2 series. MB did it, Jag did it, Audi did it, etc...

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to have a JLR corporate guy in my LR4 18 months ago. I let him have it on the soup sandwich they called the D5 and they killed the LR legacy. When I would take my Jag in, the dealer would try to get me to test drive the D5. I told them I would just go to a Ford dealer if I wanted to buy an Explorer. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age but as I looked at it more and compared it to the Explorer - they really do not look that much alike unless you pointed out the specific clues - but many cars have those clues. Once I realized that JLR would not listen to my fits anymore than my wife would listen - I thought it would be worth an honest try. Once I drove it though, I loved it and felt like coming home to the LR4 but better.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed - unfortunately they will ***** themselves out for it. All the luxury lines are losing their heritage by coming out with cheaper lines that appeal to the masses to drive sales up.

exactly. they are no longer aspirational products. i absolutely hate the evoque and think it is ridiculous.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3/4 was simply a marvel of engineering, design, and function all coming together in the form of one of the most unique automotive packages on the planet.

With 3/4, LR had created a unique SUV that had the Lexus/BMW like comfort levels and functionalities to satisfy soccer moms as well as the mechanical and ground breaking computer-controlled electrical advancements for the adventure seeking and offroading drivers. A perfect balance of mechanical and electrical advancements complimenting each other without any overkill or one trying to overbear the other.

That well-planted yet isolated from the road ride quality with smooth, safe, and well-secured feel that you get while driving an LR3/4 while still being able to feel the surface and receive that crucial/driver-oriented feedback from all of your four ground contacting rubber corners, and being able to feel the physical positions of those four contact points on the tarmac was/is a direct result of the world' only Integrated Body-Frame (IBF) design, with its much lower center of gravity.

You can never get that same experience from a high center of gravity monocoque/unibody design of FFRR or D5, or from a simple ladder-frame design for that matter, hence the bland ride quality of LX570 even with all its plushness and electronic air suspension gizmos, etc.

3/4 was a direct result of a product-driven philosophy vs a market fads or sales driven decisions. And consumers will always win with the former. The latter will only bring compromises to deal with. Love at first sight vs something with having the need and time to grow on you, that is.

LR3/4 was a textbook example of automotive evolution to bring a model into then current world. D5 is the result of soccer moms revolution.

Have said it before, with the redesign window, LR had an amazing opportunity to further advance an already unique SUV on the planet, both in terms of visual design and engineering advancements. But they caved in to the bloggers instead (who have absolutely zero idea about automotive design) and their shift to the sales driven direction, hence this wonderful result.

I read somewhere that some executive personnel changes have or are being made at LR. I hope to God thats the case :)

A few weeks ago, I was up in the mountains late at night on a winding road snaking thru 7k altitude with hundreds of feet of drop on one side in the middle of a snow storm with high speed wind gusts hitting my 4. It was the IBF with its lower center of gravity, exerting all of its near 6000 LB of weight on the computer-controlled independent four corners that assured the sense of calm and safety inside the cabin. Lighter monocoque/unibody D5 with higher center of gravity would have never assured me that feeling.

IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1976.JPG

Last edited:

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on the LR3/LR4 - loved my LR4. However, just as those were an advancement, so is the D5 in technology (i.e. TR2) - not arguing whether it is a nanny gear or not but it is an advancement nonetheless.

I have seen no evidence to support the D5 would do any less than the LR3/4. If the current D5 had the same body style as its predecessor, I doubt there would be as many screaming soccer mom...

Time will tell if it truly is a capable replacement for the LR4. I gambled and bet that it is - you do what you want with your money. I just do not get this seething hatred for the D5.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I may have miscommunicated things here.

I am not saying that D5 does not have any advancements. As with any newer model from any car maker, there would obviously be revisions and advancements in the newer models, a natural process.

TR2 in D5 is clearly superior to TR1 in 3/4. Bigger nav screen is clearly better. Finer control on the temperature setting knobs (increment of ones vs twos in LR4) is definitely better (although I could never understand why that wasn't the case with LR4 to begin with when other models in the iineup having the same knobs/systems could increment in ones. Perhaps just another example of intentionally keeping the distance between the ignored red head step one and the rest of the models :) Some updated 4x4/air suspension/articulation info, clearly better in D5. And I am sure there other many advancements under the hood and with the engine management control that would naturally be superior to 3/4.

But, unibody over a revised, refined, and advanced version of IBF, not an advancement. Reduced turning radius, not an advancement. Decrease in command-view driver position stance, not an advancement. Higher belt line, not an advancement. Reduced outside visibility, not better, even with safety standards. Reduced rear stadium seating, not an advancement. Reduced rear and third row headroom due to the tapered roofline, not an advancement. Lack of full flat rear seating allowing for a linear and leveled cargo floor, not an advancement. Overuse of electronics over mechanical components/mechanisms (seats motors and such) with more chances of failures, not an advancement, but should be left for option packaging for people who like to have them. And if LR had the the reputation like lexus then I would not have had any issues with overuse of electronics. But for now, I'd much prefer one less electronic thing to go wrong while camping hours away from civilization or on a trail.

Tailgate with much higher height when fully opened, clearly not better over LR3/4 excellent design which keeps the overall height in check (see the pix below which I took just a couple of days ago at a local parking lot, at normal suspension height setting. License plate/lights cover literally maybe 2.5 inches away from the ceiling beam.) A great example of form following function.

Some advancements that I would have liked to have witnessed in D5 would have included constant track width throughout the suspension travel, definitely an engineering challenge, but so was the IBF and cross linked air suspension. And I could assure you that if LR had pulled it off, other makers would have had no choice but to pursue the same. TR is a classic example. An example of one maker, LR in this case, taking the initiative an upping the ante, and the only beneficiaries were you and I, the consumers, across the board, that is. That was in the spirit of being the lead, creating a better and more functional product, and setting a trend, and not being lazy and following the rest or the fads.

Mercedes used to be that way years ago introducing advancements and newer ideas, now they are just playing the field like everybody else. Thanks to now makers like Tesla and such which are shaking the industry again. Auto pilot is the next thing, and the credit is due to Tesla. Mercedes promised us auto pilot years ago, showcasing their R&D in some of their TV ads as their future techs, but got lazy like other lux brands putting their R&D dollar on bling and now they will simply be playing catch up. And I just hate to see LR going down the exact same path. Yeah, 22 inches is not enough, gimme more of that, like 24 inches rims, so my sidewalls could literally be 0.5 inch tall, just like the X5 and Audi. I might as well get an X5 then.

I would have liked to see better and more reliable air compressor, with the ability to deflate and inflate the tires, on the fly, right from the comfort of your driver' seat using the touch screen (perhaps packaged as a paid "Advanced 4x4 control" option, etc). A reliable system, that is. That would have been an advancement for me, sure to be followed by other 4x4 oriented SUV makers (jeep, 4runner and such). A challenge? Certainly yes, but again, so were some advancements in LR3 that won it several awards.

Another advancement I would have liked to see is solving the problem of exhausts running under the rear control arms/axels. There should never be anything running under the control arms, period. Maybe ok in a Camry, but not in a Discovery. It only hampers already available ground clearance plus concerns of damaging components on even a light trail. That was the first bad thing that I had noticed in LR3 as I visited the dealer for a preview back in 2004, and I thought, Ok, they may have rushed the process here a bit. Fast forward to 2018, and LR still has not solved that engineering problem. If Infinity (with practically zero 4x4 heritage) can do it, so you can you, LR.

Two-piece dashboard top cover (including LR4), not an advancement. Sure two pieces makes it easy for repair work, etc., but the more parts, the less solid carved-out-of-stone feel, and more rattling down the line. LR3 did have one piece cover on top vs the 4. There is a reason why top lux brands stick with one piece vs two in that area. Also some non-lux, volume brands do the same. So if Hyundai or Kia can do it, so can you, LR. Stop being lazy and cheap, and design better, please.

Reception of a redesign could be overall subjective and a total matter of personal taste, and I totally respect that. But advancements (or retardation there of) in tech and engineering, furthering (or reducing) functionalities and ease of use is usually as clear as day.

So if you like the design of D5, then you will be ok with things that you miss or do not like as much. I probably would have been the same way and had overlooked things if I truly had fallen in love with the D5 design.

But still, with LR4, LR had an amazing opportunity to built upon a bullet proof platform, both tech and engineering wise, and an opportunity to mature at least one product in their lineup helping their bad rep of unreliability, allowing some fighting chance to compete with lexus/landcruisers globally speaking, as LR3/4/D5 is after all still a global brand. Ford tried to do just that with lots of R&D miles and dollars in then their LR3.

IMG_2294.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG
IMG_2299.JPG

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And as for a faithful and an original design job, this is nearly a fourteen years old design:

2012-land-rover-lr4-profile.jpg

I mean, really, come on, need I say more :)

Even today, an LR3 still carries such a presence and graceful personality on the tarmac every time I spot one.

Willing to bet anything, that this design would still look fresh and current in another fourteen years from now even if we end up having the flying cars around by then which they (well, hollywood at least :)) had promised us back in the seventies and eighties when most of us here were still in our teens.

The LR3/4 type of designs only happen once in a while when the designers and engineers are actually allowed to do their jobs without any corporate/bean counters type of interferences from the top.

Would love to know what makers are the original designers of LR3/4 currently working for.

Last edited:

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is about trade-offs in many areas for me. Things you do not see as advancements - I do see as advancements. I am not living in the what-if my power seat breaks - that is a low risk item I am willing to do. My seats all fold completely flat - thanks to the lower seating position in the 2nd row. Despite the video reviews, the 2nd row is fine and so is the 3rd row for tall people - even with the advancement of a more flat roof for aerodynamics. The seat themselves is an advancement in comfort.

The unibody is an advancement since they do not give the option of an IBF. Stiff, light, and handles better. Visibility is a non-issue for me. And so on.

Anyway, I am not trying to talk you into anything - you stay with what you like. Again, only "advancement" that really matters to me in the LR4 was the looks (ok and maybe the flat tailgate - I will give you that). I did not have to settle for anything - I chose the D5 over the LR4 for the advancements that I obtained and utilize.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, Hayseed, in that at the heart of it its really a matter of trade-offs, personal needs, taste, and what changes/revisions one does or does not perceive as advancements.

These are just my personal opinions and thoughts as far as comparing a redesign (which supposedly LR is selling to me as an evolution of its prior version) with the original LR4.

The IBF:

IBF gave you and I the benefits of both ladder frame and unibody (the monocoque' stiffness and the ladder frame' strength), but without any of their disadvantages, because as standalone platforms the two do have their disadvantages. And that was really the beauty of IBF, that with integrating the two together, both platforms not only complemented each other but actually negating their disadvantages as well.

Plus, IBF allowed for the isolation from the road/drivetrain harshness, and the four corners and the steering column became the only source for the needed surface feedback. And thats what made for that carved-out-of-stone rock solid and well-planted feel that LR3 had shocked us all with in a pleasant way, even with thost ****** OEM GoodYears. That should have been the way to go forward for all serious offroading luxury SUVs and trucks.

But sadly, aside from devoting one page with a line about this tech on the LR3/4 brochure, LR never actually invested any effort in marketing that great tech of theirs, making the potential customer aware of it. Also, that one liner was removed from the latest 2016 LR4 brochure. I am pretty sure I noticed it was absent from the '14 or '15 brochures as well.

Things catch on due to customer awareness causing competition. Proprietary TR versions began to appear in the jeeps, the toyotas, and the lexuses only because of that as they were forced to do so.

LR did spend some money on that funny ad campaign about LR4 being safe ("You will feel safe inside..." See the links below) but in those ads they never mentioned even once what was the actual reason and why one would/should feel safer inside an LR4 vs any other SUV. I mean a consumer would not know the reason unless explained the difference with a demo of the ***** IBF or animation or something.

If I was in the market for an SUV and naturally did not know anything about the IBF, watching those ads I would have been like, is LR4 safe just like any other SUV on the market because it is an SUV after all and that all SUVs are bigger than cars, sit higher on the ground, and therefor are safer for my kids? And if thats the case then why shoudn't I look into other SUVs, perhaps with a better reliability track record? Whats so different about LR4 that makes it safer than others?

Willing to bet, no LR dealer/sales rep was ever educated by LR to answer that question.

It was LR' job to educate their sales reps and potential customer that LR4 is safer because its built a certain way making it the only SUV on the planet with such and such qualities. If Subaru can advertise the crap out of their asymmetrical AWD system, so could have LR about their IBF.

That ad campaign, funny as hell, but failed to educate the modern potential customer who needs good reasons for choosing one make/model over the rest, specially when your reliability track record is not exactly near top ten.

Not a single demo of their supposedly legendary TR or 4WD system at LR booth at the LA auto show last year or this year. But right next door, Subaru was still busy showcasing their unique AWD system and their Boxer engine tech on flat panels with educated reps on the floor, who certainly knew a thing or two about their lineup.

But one thing that the LR booth was plenty filled with, was the Bling. Aah the bling of those 22 inch rims, those flashy jags, the autobiography editions, the velars, etc, etc. There was an SVO offroad version of D5 there parked on a tilted platform in a corner up front, but it was quite overshadowed by the rest of the prevailing atmosphere with not much attention around it, not that I noticed at least as I took some pics in the hopes that I may begin to like it. Maybe it had crowd around it earlier in the day when I wasnt there.

The only thing in the booth that reminded me of anything that had anything to do remotely with anything AWD, let alone 4x4 or lockers and such (we dont talk about lockers and all that nonsense at LR anymore, ha) was that original oval Land Rover Logo, ha. That green logo looked a bit sad to me.

The TR:

As for the TR tech, with all due respect to Tata's LR, TR2 should really have been TR3 by now because its been almost fourteen years since it was first introduced with LR3 in 2004.

TR1 should have been revised and re-introduced as TR2 with LR4 reveal in 2010. Five years are more than enough for a tech to develop and be revised and refined. And in 2017, seven years later, D5 should have appeared with TR3.

But again, that is exactly what happens when you become lazy as a car maker and stop innovating and no one is guiding you as to how to market your own tech and milk it to death and when you are left at the mercy of decision making process by suits whose sole purpose/personal careers target is to be on the cover of CEO magazine by increasing the sales numbers vs creating better products. There is definitely a difference there. And many original companies have come and gone as a result of this type of alternative goal oriented mindset.

CEOs move on from one to the next company very often and with flying colors as high sales is the barometer for them being "good". But the long term damage that they sometime cause to the brand and products they leave behind is not always immediately noticeable or repairable.

So I dont know what panzy is running the show at Tata' LR right now but they sure dont seem to be any innovation-driven suit.

By now the term "Terrain Response" should have been synonymous with all LRs. Its a tech that LR had invented to begin with. LR should have owned the hell out of it via marketing/ads/demos and educational material on the web and demos at shows. They should have associated TR with "Safety" in any weather/terrain.

And then to the customer, all other makers would have appeared to simply have followed LR's lead with their own inferior versions of the original TR. To this customer the "original and clearly the better", TR, would have been available in an LR only.

This kinda stuff goes a long way. There is a good reason why Sony still carries their quarter of a century old term "XBR" signal processing for its top flagship models. Customers know that XBR means excellent picture quality that XBR is only available with a Sony and therefore pay big bucks for the tech and brand.

But when you are only interested in "selling" vs creating then you blend and bland you right in :)

To me, LR3 was the result of the LR design team engineering the **** out of D2 to bring the D2 into the modern world of better ride quality of independent corners and offroad ability with finesse, ease, and control. Hence the TR, the IBF, the cross linked independent setup that all of us consumers benefited from, and all those awards. And that only happens when you are focused on creating a better product, and thats when the consumer wins.

The snow mode button in a Toyota Highlander would most likely not have existed today if it weren't for LR3' original TR.

D5 should have followed in the same tradition but unfortunately, and to me at least, it has turned out to be the direct result of the feedback from those focus groups consisting of you know who :) Its a direct result of trying to "sell" more by blending in. Hence the thinner steering wheel and the Explorer like C pillar which again, some maybe ok with.

Personally, I just expect slightly higher levels/standards of design and engineering from a maker that prefers to be called a luxury/prestige brand, specially if I am being asked for $70k. Or else, I have got plenty other choices to choose from if I just want to "blend" and "bland" right in with the rest, and at a much reasonable cost, that is. But thats just me.

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manoftaste, I much appreciate the effort you are putting into these posts. I enjoyed the videos - we do not seem to get them up here so that is the first time I have seen them.

I presume no one of significance at Tata who could actually set direction reads forums - well Land Rover forums anyway. The real question is whether re-badging a Ford is a good business model. Tata purchased a niche vehicle producer with I suppose the dream of turning it into a worldwide mass manufacturer going head to head with Toyota. For a world leader in 3 wheelers, it is an honorable goal, however they probably should have picked Fiat.

I regard my 3 has still current. I updated a bit of the software, hard wired a rear camera, installed the fibre optic bluetooth and a few other things so along with the TR and its generally advanced design, it is still pretty much up to date.

I see the D5 as having more negatives than positives - hope the market finds me wrong.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72