Making a case for the D5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just do not get this seething hatred for the D5.

I do not hate the D5 I am just not in love with it. That being said I can find many faults with the LR4. Mainly the tech in it is comparable to what you find in any other vehicle from 2006. The Sat/Rad antenna has the worst reception of any vehicle I have ever owned. The TMC portion of the navigation is slow, delayed and redirection is often convoluted and not very accurate. The navigation itself has some of the worst maps, details, and bizarre GUI I have ever seen. The lack of USB ports are just something they completely overlooked along with additional power sockets. There are USB ports that do not even offer power unless you select the iPod icon. The premium audio system is comparable to base audio systems in other vehicles. The surround view cameras are blurry, out of focus and the surround view layout is dizzying and confusing rather than informative. The cluster is about as basic as basic can be. The LCD/MFD is a waste of space since so much more data could be displayed there such as stand-alone guidance for the Navigation without have redundant directions on the nav itself. The seats could be ventilated, could have more positions for adjustment. The second row and or third row should have a vented moonroof not just a sheet of glass. The eco start/stop system is horrid, it is very trigger happy and premature. Shutting off completely when entering park is bizarre. The vision assist is rather slow to react and is not as adaptive as other systems. Conventional HID/Xenon are decent but not as effective as the LED headlights on my other vehicles. The lack of cup holders or storage in the second row is bizarre and putting them out of reach of children is even more bewildering. So if you think I am being biased and saying the LR3/LR4 has been GOD's gift to the automotive world then I am completely misunderstood and have not expressed myself well enough on here. What the LR3/LR4 (D3/D4) were and are is not what the Discovery (D5) was designed to be. I believe LR wanted something more current but not as utilitarian with more appeal to the broader market and the traditional mall crawl rather than what looks like a refrigerator on wheels that just so happens to be able to traverse the earth in any possible situation.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if you think I am being biased and saying the LR3/LR4 has been GOD's gift to the automotive world then I am completely misunderstood and have not expressed myself well enough on here.

I had to laugh in agreement with your litany of demerits. Yet we can't seem to help ourselves-- we still love our fridge on wheels!

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha... sometimes emotion overrides logic and reason and you follow your heart instead of any other part of your body. either way i am happy it lead me to land rover.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D5 is a reflection of government regulation that has forced a very bland model, where all vehicles are headed. From overuse of technology (obsolete by the time it is introduced in a vehicle, not just a JLR issue) to pedestrian frontal impact requirements of the EU to fuel efficiency CAFE to fill-in-the-blank. In addition demographics (aging population) are also driving design.

Instead of spending $80K I will probably go back in time and build a vehicle to my specs.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any pictures yet of a D5 with enough offroad accessories attached to make it look unique and rough?

They still just look like Ford Explorers to me, but maybe I haven't seen one with the right rack, sliders, rubber and rims.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. it looks like a drag queen in the sense that it appears to be wearing more of a costume than equipped for what it was designed to be.

Land-Rover-Discovery-SVX-25.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I have another fresh opinion on the matter having had a D5 loaner on Monday and Tuesday (leaking diff seal - replaced under warranty, FYI). I posted my original feedback on the "Discovery 5 hit with the ugly stick" thread back in December and it still holds true. If anything I am slightly warming to the design. This loaner was different than my first (diesel, HSE) as it was a gasoline SE.

As soon as I got into it I thought, "well this is fairly basic" but not in a bad way. As I was snooping around I found the window sticker stuffed into the top glove box. Total sticker price of ~$55,000 included the 7-seat pack (7 seats, EAS, 2-speed xfer case), full size spare tire, and a couple other minor things. So, really, it had most of the good stuff. I think another $1,200 would get you the capability pack which gives the rear locker and terrain response 2. Also, it was white, one of the two no-cost color options. So from a value perspective, this "stripper" seemed to tick at least most of the boxes I would care about. I will say that one of my Land Rover pet peeves is that seat memory is not an option until you get to the HSE level and only standard on the Lux (totally nuts, IMO).

Road manners were very good but I think the eco-focused tires contributed to some harsher impacts than I would expect. Still a world better than the non-EAS version I drove in December. The SE also has 19" wheels versus the 20s on all levels above and I think the design is fine.

Silly stuff (again, my view) like power third-row seats and fold-down inner-tailgate not included! The base radio did sound like crap and has anyone else notice that the volume on the console is near the passenger? My right arm, not short, btw, needed to be at full extension to reach it, which seems really absurd because I find that quicker and easier to use than the tap-tap-tap action of the steeting wheel controls. Maybe it's fine for the RHD versions but I just couldn't understand the reason for that.

The fact that it didn't have a GPS didn't bother me...I use Waze anyway and have never been impressed with ANY built-in Nav solution (Tesla's is probably one of the best as it gets regular updates and has very quick processing).

So, in summary, adding the diesel for $2k, a color, and a couple other things would probably get me in the very low $60k range. Still not bad and cheaper than the alternatives. Would look to upgrade the wheels (Lucky 8 has some nice concept photos) and try to make it look as SVX-ish as I could.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. it looks like a drag queen in the sense that it appears to be wearing more of a costume than equipped for what it was designed to be.
Land-Rover-Discovery-SVX-25.jpg
Oh yeah... that looks ridiculous.

Still waiting for the aftermarket guys to get some proper looking offroad equipment on it, I guess.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It used to be that the Discoveries I II 3 /4 all had at least a few aspects better performing than the Range Rovers (sorry, RRS don't count and never have IMO) The full size was and still is 'nicer', sexier, built better, more comfy, etc, etc. However, the Discos all, even D1, had a more practically useful interior and were of course a lot less expensive.

The LR3/4 IMO had to biggest practical advantage and value play compared to the Range Rover of same era. In fact the LR3/4 blow away the RR for not only usable interior space but also the flexibility of 7 seats that also 'disappear' into the floor whereas the RR 5 seats merely fold forward taking up a ton of space.

Now the D5 is has basically zero over the RR except a little less expensive. The trouble is, why the HELL would anyone buy a dumb D5 over a slightly used RR that may cost about the same or slightly more?! Super dumb idea.

Any BS ideas that the useless shape is due to govt or other reasons is just ridiculous. JEEP and G wagon are still boxy as can be.

My first LR was a 24k mi D1, my 2nd a 22k mi D2 and I till have them. My 3rd was a new full size RRSC sold to be replaced by my current primary 07 lr3 bought new in 2007.

If LR cannot bring a boxy Defender,,,, this will have been my last new Land Rover.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If LR cannot bring a boxy Defender,,,, this will have been my last new Land Rover.

Unfortunately, I think the new Defender is going to be the Australian Ford Ranger that is now being shown at the North American car shows.

Since LR is into re-badging, I do not know why they just cannot continue production the LR4/D4 as the new Defender.

The tooling etc was long ago paid for; it meets all the safety/emission codes and is a viable alternative to any Prado variation as well as Jeep and the G Wagon people.

Re badging a real Land Rover would at least keep the company in the real 4x4 business and give them time to sort their mission out. The FJ Defender concept goof up they came out with a few years back was a hint of their now current loss of direction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72