Maxing Out Off-Road Ability on 19" Wheels (yep, tires again)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ACK!!! This thread is continuing the FALSE idea that a lift will assist you in any way with tire fitment. It won't.

Almost all tire fitment issues are width limited first, and second by bump stops (your wheels actually do articulate... even with a lift).

I understand that people like to lift these air sprung vehicles for looks. I have no problem with that, but 31.5" diameter and 275mm width is about the largest you can go without modifications to front frame horns, moving wire harnesses, reshaping the rear wheel well gaurds, etc.

A lift wont solve tire fitment!

An IID tool is great for fixing EAS (air suspension) problems and giving a temporary lift if you really need it off road (which is RARE, get skids).

I suggest that you read a lot more on this subject before making changes.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those additional options for hacking into the system, I'll do my homework on each.

Regarding wheels, I'm keeping my 20's as daily drivers and have picked up a set of 19's already
to run off-road. So, it's all about max tire size that can fit on the 19's while the car is in the fully
extended height full-time.

Please don't... those poor CV angles, and bushings, and you wont be able to even align the damn thing with it in extended height.

Read my last post. You can't solve tire fitment with height! Especially when you are off road, the tire still has to turn (and fit) and articulate to the bump stops.

If you are doing this for looks, please research.

If you are doing this for off road ability.. just don't. You don't need to.

I run STOCK ride height, 265/65R18 on 18" compomotive wheels (19" would be just fine also). Thats 31.5". I relocated the front driver side wire harness and that is all. I off road mine mostly in standard height.. and only raise it when I really need. Or bump it up a few mm with the Gap IID tool. But these things are crazy capable off road (and more comfortable) at Stock settings!

IMG_20171104_173518-X2.jpg

Chipc

Reaction score
I went to a local off-road tire dealer and he steered me away from Duratrak as the rubber was a little harder and when it does wear (in his experience with his Jeep) the tires get very noisy. I just bought the Cooper LTZ in 255 55 R19 and I love them so far. I wish BFG made an AT for 19s :-(

IMG_2190.JPG

kibbi57

Reaction score
I have the Johnson Rods on my 2016 LR4 and they work great. I have no ride issues and can still get into parking garages with out a problem. And the truck looks more agressive. I like that.

Brizzity

Reaction score
Please don't... those poor CV angles, and bushings, and you wont be able to even align the damn thing with it in extended height.

Read my last post. You can't solve tire fitment with height! Especially when you are off road, the tire still has to turn (and fit) and articulate to the bump stops.

If you are doing this for looks, please research.

If you are doing this for off road ability.. just don't. You don't need to.

I run STOCK ride height, 265/65R18 on 18" compomotive wheels (19" would be just fine also). Thats 31.5". I relocated the front driver side wire harness and that is all. I off road mine mostly in standard height.. and only raise it when I really need. Or bump it up a few mm with the Gap IID tool. But these things are crazy capable off road (and more comfortable) at Stock settings!

IMG_20171104_173518-X2.jpg

For some reason, I've missed a few of these replies because of some weird display issues I was having with my browser...
MBW, great looking truck and thanks for the comments. I'm not exploring any of this for looks, it's really all about maxing out sidewall height for me. I'm not trying to alter the truck dramatically, I understand they are more than capable in any scenario I'll ever put it in.

I've got 265/50/20 on the truck right now and I just want more sidewall height than that. Plus, I don't want to thrash this set of wheels. I'd have loved to go the route you went with the Comp's, just didn't want to go $2700+ on this part right out of the gate.

The whole ride height part of the conversation was me looking at it from the angle of what's the largest (tallest) 19" tire I could fit, since I picked up a set of 19" wheels to beat on. Given that the tire options for those wheels are extremely limited, it seems like the ride height issue is a moot point. I don't see any 19" tires that are over 31" so...
I see one option at 60, which doesn't look too rugged or the other noted 55 options. So, it looks like i'll land on one of the 55's...

Ryanjl, seeing your comment after posting my Atturo question. Guessing that about answers that.

Reactions: mbw

ccriel

Reaction score
I purchased the Atturo Trail Blade M/T. The drive very well but they are extremely loud. I love the look and performance in the mud so I can overlook the road noise. Mileage a mile or so per gallon. I am excited to see how they perform in the snow. Again, the ride very well and I have no braking or cornering issues on the road. I have about 10000 miles and see very little tread wear.
C4099571-DB10-4B7B-A3C7-65BC487130ED.jpeg

6883FC74-8DDF-45E2-9A57-B1D89B82CC58.jpeg

A59490C5-8D04-434D-8028-9DE5CCF9E160.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV