Michilin, Goodyear or Nokian? (19")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlonesty

Reaction score
No one has mentioned the Bridgestone Dueller Alanza Plus tires. I just purchased my second set. The first set lasted 78,000 miles! They drive great and are all season tires. I have 19" wheels and only do a small amount of off road in the Western USA and PNW.
I notice little road noise and no vibration. However, I keep on top of alignment and tire rotation and that lengthens the tire lifespan.

Last edited:

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only speak to the Goodyear Duratracs. While they perform well, after 15K miles they are extremely noisy. To the point where I plan to change them out even though they still have plenty of thread left. Anyone who says they are quiet, either has a super noisy car already or the tires are still fairly new. One of the reasons I purchased an LR is because they are comfortable and luxurious compared to Jeeps or other off-roaders. These tires ruin the LR4 for me.

Robert

Reaction score
I'll need tires in a few months and wanted to revisit my options and tell you what I'm thinking. I've read all the tire threads here over the years and have been driving an LR3/LR4 since 2005...

First, I primarily do sand driving for my offroad needs and have finally figured out that I don't need much tread for sand. If I drop the tire pressure below 20 I seem to be able to get trough anything fine. If anything, less tread may be better as I float more than dig.

I do, however, want better tracking for snow. We don't get a ton of snow in the MD/PA area where I drive, but I storm chase for snow sports and I have not been happy with how some of my minimal treaded tires have performed. Something a little more aggressive would be nice. I don't know if it's worth a significant impact to road noise or gas mileage since I'm mainly highway, though.

So, I'm between the following 3 tires, in no particular order, but am open to suggestions;

Michilin Latitude Tour HP ($284 MSRP)- I have had zero issues with my LR3/LR4 Michilins. They last long, they run smooth. I am not crazy with their snow traction, though. It is very much of a road tread. Not on tirerack currently, for some reason, I'll price shop them.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac ($249) - I want to seriously consider these based on @nymoto 's recommendation. They look great on the truck and he reports "quiet on the road and handles everything I have thrown at them." Tirerack is no longer listing them, but I saw them on Walmart's site.

Nokian WRG3 SUV ($185) - I sold my LR3 shortly after I put these on, so I never got to really test them in off road conditions. There were fine on road, if not slightly more noise than my Michilins. Not a tread noise, kind of a lumpy tire noise. Subtle. My mechanic noticed it more than I did.
In any case, I've heard nothing but good things about the Nokians and was considering trying them again. They were priced low when I got them a couple years ago, and still are. I like a deal as much as the next guy, but it seems odd that a high quality import tire is still selling for significantly less than my other options. ?

I'll say that years ago when I got my LR3, the Goodyear's LR put on it were awful. Didn't wear well and the nylon belts made for a lumpy drive if they'd been sitting for a while.

Appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!

What about the Atturo's ?? They are avaiable at Discount tire.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the Atturo's?? They have them at Discount tire.
Looks like a solid tread.
Don't recall hearing anything about them. No familiar with their quality, ride and wear.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I skimmed back over this entire thread and may have missed it, but didn't see any mention of the Cooper Zeon LTZs. I only mention them because Todd was thinking about Duratracs which have similar more aggressive tread. I've read some solid reviews about the Coopers here and elsewhere. In spite of my great experience with the Nokians, I will strongly consider the Coopers also.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I skimmed back over this entire thread and may have missed it, but didn't see any mention of the Cooper Zeon LTZs. I only mention them because Todd was thinking about Duratracs which have similar more aggressive tread. I've read some solid reviews about the Coopers here and elsewhere. In spite of my great experience with the Nokians, I will strongly consider the Coopers also.

I've run the Cooper Zeon LTZs on my 2011, and found them to be only OK. As many have mentioned, once they are about half worn, the noise becomes VERY noticeable. In snow, they were OK - better than the OEM Conti's which were garbage in snow, but not confidence inspiring. I'm now running Michelin Premier LTX, and that's been a great tire - super quiet, smooth, great in rain and the best of the three tires I've tried in the snow. Those are running low on me (although they've lasted longer than the Coopers or Contis), and I'm thinking of putting a dedicated set of winters on (Blizzak?), and then a new set of Michelins in the spring, and running those two sets for a few years (since they should last longer with only about 6 months of usage on each set).

Curious if anyone else is running a similar setup on the OEM rims? Prefer not to start with a separate set of rims/TPMS for winter tires.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run the Cooper Zeon LTZs on my 2011, and found them to be only OK. As many have mentioned, once they are about half worn, the noise becomes VERY noticeable. In snow, they were OK - better than the OEM Conti's which were garbage in snow, but not confidence inspiring. I'm now running Michelin Premier LTX, and that's been a great tire - super quiet, smooth, great in rain and the best of the three tires I've tried in the snow. Those are running low on me (although they've lasted longer than the Coopers or Contis), and I'm thinking of putting a dedicated set of winters on (Blizzak?), and then a new set of Michelins in the spring, and running those two sets for a few years (since they should last longer with only about 6 months of usage on each set).

Curious if anyone else is running a similar setup on the OEM rims? Prefer not to start with a separate set of rims/TPMS for winter tires.
i put blizzaks on my full size HSE SC. dont do it. get the nokian hakkapalitas for dedicated snows

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV