Michilin, Goodyear or Nokian? (19")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevieofpb

Reaction score
I have lived in Vail, CO for the past 7 years, and run the Goodyear Duratracs year round. They perform amazingly well in the snow as well as in the sand, rocks, etc. I air down to 18 PSI for the sand dune runs, and 22 PSI when wheeling in Moab. The tread life on them are amazing, with over 50,000 miles on my 2005 LR3, (just replaced them) and now I have them on my 2013 LR4. The only problem I have encountered, is the sidewall is not as durable, but that could due my driving style........I can be a little too aggressive at times. I bought mine at Discount Tire, and pay extra for the tire certificate, so if/when a sidewall puncture occurs, I get a free replacement tire. I think I paid $280 a tire, plus the $34 tire certificate.

Hope that helps.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah wait I was thinking 255/50-20 They may not make the Defender in 255/55-19.

Pavement/ride no contest Michelin Premier LTX
Snow: Nokian then Michelin Defender LTX M/S

My next set for my 20's are Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Currently have Lattitude HPs. New winter set (255/55-19 is Blizzak DM-V2)

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if snow is a priority get the nokians, no question about it. if snow is random then id go with michelin premier LTX...theyre solid enough in the snow. latitudes are terrible.

i run nokians wr on our lr4 as its our daily driver in the wintery northeast. i run premier LTX on my escalade which doesnt get used as much as the lr4 in the winter. on the full size RR SC i have blizzaks and theyre terrible. Going to get nokian hakkas for that car.

You run Blizzaks year round on the RR?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the Michelins, Defender LTX is 20" only. I'm running a set right now and they are fantastic. Tread depth when new is about double of the Premier LTX. Have driven at high speeds through heavy rain and they are one of the best rain tires I have ever owned.

ticktalk67

Reaction score
Hope this helps a bit.
I ran Nokian WRG2 ‘s (19”) on my 2012 LR4 HSE Lux. Fantastic all weather tire, great in snow! They did show some outside wear pretty fast.

2015 Range Rover Sport HSE I ran the Michelin Premier LTX (255/55/20) Again, great all weather tire especially in rain. The winter I had them on the car we did not get much snow in Delaware. Started to see some small chunks of rubber missing the second year.

Currently own a 2017 D5, just getting ready to change tires and after a lot of research will go with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S 255/55/20.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have lived in Vail, CO for the past 7 years, and run the Goodyear Duratracs year round. They perform amazingly well in the snow as well as in the sand, rocks, etc.

Here in SE PA we get a lot more slushy snow than powder (I imagine powder is what you get in Vail). The Duratracs (in my on-road experience here) slip more than the Grabbers or Wildpeaks. That does not imply they are bad tires, just not as good in slushy snow compared to the two others I have experience with.

I am in sand and mud only. Lots of hwy travel. Since purchasing lr4, i have put over 10,000 miles in just a few months. I have had duratracs nearly the entire time and love them...so far so good.

Somehwere around 20,000 miles they really began to hum loudly. Now they sound like a truck with mud tires running down the road. They still perform fine and have decent tread left, but since my wife drives mostly highway these days, the loud droning noise is starting to bother her - and she initially did not hear anything the first 2 years where I always felt there was a hum at highway speeds.

General Grabbers! That was another one I almost put on the list (my mechanic likes them), but I saw them listed as a summer tire so I wasn't sure how they'd do in winter.

The AT2 is the version of General Grabber I was referring to. Not sure they come in any 19" sizes though.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AT2 is the version of General Grabber I was referring to. Not sure they come in any 19" sizes though.

I believe they do in Europe; just not here in America.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...The AT2 is the version of General Grabber I was referring to. Not sure they come in any 19" sizes though.
So, the TireRack site lists the General Grabber UHP as a "Street/Sport Truck Summer" which made me think it's a no-go as an all season.

But on Sears website, they say it's an all-season light truck tire...

"Bold ultra-high performance all-season light truck, crossover and SUV tire is designed for excellent handling and traction in both wet and dry conditions."

I looked up the MICHELIN comparison between the Latitude and the Premier LTX... I trust your opinions, but by reading the specs the Latitude is the tire that lists a deeper tread and even a slight bigger diameter. Looks more defined as well. But everyone seems to like the Premier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick