Michilin, Goodyear or Nokian? (19")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...The OEM Lattitudes are W speed rated and ridiculously expensive at over $300 a piece. They make another V speed rated version for $100 less per tire, which makes much more sense.
Thanks.
I was looking at that and did not initially see the difference between the two. I thought it was just a JRLR marking thing for the same exact tire.

Yeah, 149mph vs 168mph. I think the V rating version is fine if we go Michelins.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this very timely post, Toddjb122, as I am almost in the market for tires as well.

I have it narrowed it down to the Nokian WRG3 and Continental TerrainContact, but you do offer a fair point about the Michelins...I have always had excellent things to say about the LTX (had these on an '03 Suburban) and they were super smooth and had great snow performance despite their very "standard-looking" tread pattern. Really, the only reason I didn't include the Michelin in the mix was that I want something just a bit more aggressive than an all-season tire. As for price, I know what you mean...if the WRG3's are so good, then why are they so cheap, relative to the others, at least?

I am currently running the Duratracs and here is my 3-year review on them:

My original decision for them was based on wanting a tire that was great for all-around use. My LR4 is my daily driver, kid-hauler, and family adventure vehicle. I also need to get to work (back roads) at any time I'm needed regardless of snow. I had more plans to get into some off-roading, but here I am over 3 years in and I have only been to one LR owner's day :). I am in northern NJ and we experience every weather pattern here. When soliciting advice on this forum I did get a warning from a member who was running them that he saw a decrease of about 1.5 mpg which I really couldn't believe at the time...but my experience is that I have lost from 1 to 1.5 mpg.

With about 5k miles on the OEM Contis I made the switch to Duratracs. Love the tread pattern, great ride, and the increased "whirr" noise was only discernible with the windows open. Not annoying by any stretch, just noticeable. I now have about 32k miles on them and over the last ~5-8k miles I have noticed a more pronounced hum especially at highway speeds. It's a bit annoying. The first two winters were very mild but when it did snow I didn't feel as impressed as I thought I would...a bit more slip than expected.

Am I happy with them: Yes. Would I buy again: No...but simply because I have decided that for me, off-road ability has a lower priority than snow performance and overall driveability/noise.​

What makes the choice tough for me is that while the TerrainContact seems like a great tire and I have only seen positive reviews, I have not read any reviews of their use in snow on the LR (especially compared to the WRG3). Even the Continental web page does not specifically list snow ("...durability to conquer dirt, gravel and grass while providing a quiet, comfortable ride on pavement.". The TerrainContact may be a great all-around tire for some off-road and some snow, it just seems like a greater leap of faith at this point without any validation. The counterpoint to the WRG3 is that I remember reading that another forum member was concerned about WRG3's durability off-road based on the smaller tread blocks. If I do another owner's day I don't want to tear a tread block on a rock or stump; but I may be jumping to conclusions here.

Quantitatively, the Nokian web page for the WRG3 has a total of 68 customer reviews, with 61 of them being either 4 or 5 stars (my criteria here for a "good" tire). The Tire Rack website has 53 reviews at the 4 or 5 star level out of 58 total. Essentially, the Conti gets a score of 91% and the Nokian gets 90%...which really is the same score. This doesn't help the decision!

So, here is the final summary of questions that would help me (and maybe others) decide:
  • Nokian WRG3 - Anyone ever take them off-road?
  • Continental TerrainContact - How are these in the snow? Is anyone running them that used to have WRG3s and if so, how do they compare?

-TCM75

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the TireRack site lists the General Grabber UHP as a "Street/Sport Truck Summer" which made me think it's a no-go as an all season.

But on Sears website, they say it's an all-season light truck tire...

"Bold ultra-high performance all-season light truck, crossover and SUV tire is designed for excellent handling and traction in both wet and dry conditions."

I looked up the MICHELIN comparison between the Latitude and the Premier LTX... I trust your opinions, but by reading the specs the Latitude is the tire that lists a deeper tread and even a slight bigger diameter. Looks more defined as well. But everyone seems to like the Premier.

I have been using the Grabbers not only on my LR4 but also on my former ML320. Great wear and handling, handle very good in heavy rain, quiet, very good off-road (would not recommend in mud). I haven't used them in the snow but read from reviews they are good in light snow. That said, I have read a lot of good comments both the Nokians as year-round tires so I might seriously consider them when time comes for new tires

HuskerBred

Reaction score
Vredestein Quatrac 5. I put these on to replace my stock conti's and the difference was night and day. They are an all weather tire similar to the Nokians, which is different than an all-season, in that it is a snow rated tire. We get intermittent snow in Indiana, so a dedicated snow tire makes little sense, but I run these year round and they are quiet on the road and really, really good in the snow and the wet. They are also well rated on tire rack and one of the lowest priced at $177.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd, add me to the Nokian WRG3 fan club. As someone mentioned above, for me they made the perfect compromise for MD/PA climates. If they are currently seemingly underpriced, don't overthink it; take it as a bonus! I never did any serious offroading in them but did have them on some medium to rough and steep timber trails in WV and they felt very sure-footed. They also bear the mountain/snowflake symbol. Not sure if the other options you mentioned also do. Finally, I thought they looked good on the LR4 with a nice tread pattern especially from the rear view. Note that they are directional tires so keep that in mind when rotating.

I'm about due for a new set of shoes and I'm pretty sure I'll go that route again. My only regret about my current LR4 is that I didn't have the dealer swap out my old rims and Nokians before I traded it in. PS: I used them without a shred of drama while driving on the beach and between the dunes at OBX (aired down of course).

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, cperez...I was all set with the WRG3 until I got to the part about being directional! Do you just rotate tires front-to-back, then back-to-front?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, cperez...I was all set with the WRG3 until I got to the part about being directional! Do you just rotate tires front-to-back, then back-to-front?

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. Each tire is marked to show rotation direction so you can only rotate them from corner to corner on the same side.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can rotate directional tires side-to-side or criss-cross once in a while if your willing to unmount them, flip them on the wheel, and re-mount them. Most directional tires look identical on both sidewalls. A little added expense and I never did it myself, but it can be done if you want the max mileage from your tires.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can rotate directional tires side-to-side or criss-cross once in a while if your willing to unmount them, flip them on the wheel, and re-mount them. Most directional tires look identical on both sidewalls. A little added expense and I never did it myself, but it can be done if you want the max mileage from your tires.

Good point, thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV