Michilin, Goodyear or Nokian? (19")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As many have mentioned, once they are about half worn, the noise becomes VERY noticeable.

Thanks for the realworld feedback. Given that "noise" can be very subjective, I'm curious for more qualitative commentary on this. To my wife's constant irritation, I almost NEVER drive around with the windows open. I'm a climate-controlled, low noise kind of guy when I'm on the road. I also tend to play my music at fairly high levels regardless of genre. I'm wondering if tire noise will ever really be an issue for me. In over 42 (legal) years of driving that spans a variety of vehicle types, I have never noticed tire noise a single time. So I'm sincerely wondering if I need to be concerned about it as a selection factor at this point. I think I'm answering my own question.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gone through 2 sets of Cooper Zeon LTZs. I ran them when our kids were younger and did lots of summer beach driving. They worked great in soft sand, especially if aired down. But once half worn, the road noise (buzzing) is very annoying and you can even feel some vibration through the steering wheel and seats. (cperez: Yes, noisy with the windows up, AC blowing and music loud) Only buy the Zeons if you frequently go offroad.

Here is the tire combination that works best for our needs:
Summer: Michelin Defender LTX on 20" wheels (Much more tread depth than Premier LTX but only available in 20", not 19")
Winter: Nokian Hakka SUV R2 on 19" wheels (R3 this winter)

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But once half worn, the road noise (buzzing) is very annoying and you can even feel some vibration through the steering wheel and seats. (cperez: Yes, noisy with the windows up, AC blowing and music loud) Only buy the Zeons if you frequently go offroad.

Thanks, @PaulLR3, that is extremely helpful intel!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running a similar (or plan to) to Paul

Summer: 20" wheels. Michelin Latitude Tour HP (On their final miles and tire discontinued) they will be replaced with Michelin Defender LTX (fantastic tire)
Winter: 19" wheels. Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2

If you are running 19" wheels the Defender LTX is currently not an option. In that case I would go with the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the realworld feedback. Given that "noise" can be very subjective, I'm curious for more qualitative commentary on this. To my wife's constant irritation, I almost NEVER drive around with the windows open. I'm a climate-controlled, low noise kind of guy when I'm on the road. I also tend to play my music at fairly high levels regardless of genre. I'm wondering if tire noise will ever really be an issue for me. In over 42 (legal) years of driving that spans a variety of vehicle types, I have never noticed tire noise a single time. So I'm sincerely wondering if I need to be concerned about it as a selection factor at this point. I think I'm answering my own question.

My wife had never mentioned tire noise in her life, she cares much less than I do about that, but even she is tired of the hum from her Duratracs on her FFRR, windows up, AC on, radio on, etc. You WILL hear it - that does not mean it will bother you, but you will hear it.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of late to the party here, huge fan of Nokian tires and we love the WRG3s. Have lasted for about 35-40k miles for us and will be replaced prior to this winter. Very quiet and comfortable, durable and excellent in snow and ice. Perfect tire for Colorado and even hold up well with very high temps in the summer. Tons of mountain snow storm driving, rain, light offroading, never any issues. I also have the Nokian Rotiiva AT on the LR3 and also very impressed. A little chunkier tire, feels sturdier and more capable offroad. Very good in snow (dare I say even a little better than the WR?), reinforced sidewall for offroading and good rain performance. Wear has been great and also very quiet.

I had a 414hp M3 with Hakka R's that lasted 5 winters and over 30k miles w/ rotation and got through some hairy stuff. Great company and tires across the board, you won't be disappointed.

Reaction score
Hello, I mounted Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/55 R19 before summer and drove three weeks through unpaved Iceland roads with them. No flats, no problems and not to noisy on the highway either.
Can recommend them.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I mounted Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/55 R19 before summer and drove three weeks through unpaved Iceland roads with them. No flats, no problems and not to noisy on the highway either.
Can recommend them.
Thanks, Tom. Glad to hear the Pirellis are working out for you. I unfortunately ran them once or twice on my LR3 and they did not wear well or ride well for me.

I think I had uneven wear and they were "lumpy" tires that didn't rotate well. I ended up just having to keep certain tires in the rear and not rotate. On wear, I think I had dry rot. So could have been a bad lot or old lot. Anyway, decided not to risk them again. Never had those problems with my Michelins. (but am looking for something with a better tread, think I'll try the Nokians.)

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the WRG3s last week. So far all good. See how they do through the first northeast winter and hopefully better wear.

SantaAna7

Reaction score
Anyone running 19in Atturo MTs for off-road or summer? Seems like the only stock sized MT tire available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM