Micro-Start XP-10 jump starter - Tested, it works great

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have one of these jump starters, but as a related bit of product info... I have a couple of AGM batteries in my traxxide dual batt setup and my LR4 sits a lot in the garage. I do a lot of short trips or I drive for 3+ hours at a time for work. So that approx 160 amp hours of battery capacity, plus that fact that the alternator is a bit conservative about charging... they don't stay fully charged up.

I never have issues starting, it starts way better with both batteries than before, but just for battery health and keeping them from getting sulfated and loosing capacity, I researched some battery chargers. I found some good info on expo portal.

I bought a $115 CTEX Multi US 7002 Amazon.com: CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jilRA8mDL.@@AMEPARAM@@41jilRA8mDL If you don't have dual batteries with a lot of extra capacity, the CTEK Multi US 3300 would work fine for $60

71wxQckpdzL._SL1500_.jpg

I also bought the extension cable and have the end sticking out the front of my grill. I can just plug it in in the garage. I carry standard jump cables with me, but mostly to help other people.

So... battery health ftw!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed, they were $150 during the holidays (purchased a few for Christmas for family and some friends...)

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have both the CTek 7002 and the XP10. Highly recommended.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inspired by this thread, I picked one of these up last fall (via asking my wife to give it to me for my birthday, haha). It sat unused in my car for a while, but walking out of BJ's a few months back, there was a nice family (who had been sitting behind us in the restaurant) trying to start their Hyundai in the parking lot. Clearly a dead battery. I was like, hold on! Trotted over to my landy, grabbed the device, hooked it up, bam! Car starts. Excellent!

Fast forward to the last two or three weeks, my LR4's battery was having a rough go of it. If it was anywhere near challenged (cold temps, interior doors open too long, etc.), the car wouldn't start. I used the XP-10 to jump my car a good 4 or 5 times before I was able to get the car over to the dealership for a new battery. And it's definitely good for multiple jumps before it needs a recharge.

Pretty sweet.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better-late-than-never follow up... My Micro-Start today (after spending a little less than 2 years in my car):

microstart.jpg

I just opened it up to give it a routine 3-month recharge. I noticed the last time I had it out 3/4 months ago that the case appeared to be getting slightly warped and wasn't quite sitting flat on a table anymore, but I didn't give it much thought as everything still worked great. Well, the battery still works today, but I am not so sure it would be safe to use now that it has "bloomed" out of the protective case - Li-Ion batteries can easily catch fire / explode if accidentally perforated, and that blue plastic peeking out of the case looks very tender and just waiting to be accidentally perforated... Of course, Micro-Start's warranty is only 1 year. I assume the heat in my car may have caused this, and it does get hot around here... But what is the point of a compact jump starter for emergencies if you cannot store it in your car at all times? I will pursue a warranty claim with my credit card company (which doubles the mfg warranty, thankfully), but a word of caution about Micro-Start: great device when it works, but find a better quality manufacturer if you can, or at least one offering a longer warranty. There should be quite a few new players on the market by now.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh the bloated lithium battery! Lithiums should be stored at 40-50% charge. They will swell and deform if stored at full charge. Wondering why these companies don't advise customers to do so, it just doesn't make much sense for a company that sells LI backup batteries to advertise that.

I own an XP10 and have used it 3 times in the last year, on others' vehicles. It's works great, but don't let the packaging fool you. It's an expendable product, just like every other battery you've ever owned!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you store it at 50%? The manual itself says there should be a minimum of 3 lights (meaning about 60% charge) before even attempting a jump, and recommends recharging the XP-10 every 4-6 months - which is kind of what I did. Anyway, I didn't have any unrealistic expectations about the longevity of a lithium battery, I understand they don't last forever, but it's an automotive product and you'd think they would encase that puppy into something a bit more heavy duty, especially since the company touts how superior its product is compared to the cheaper Chinese knockoffs... I should pay them a visit, Antigravity Batteries is literally 2 blocks away from my office in Gardena, CA... :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA