Micro-Start XP-10 jump starter - Tested, it works great

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also imagine the heat in your truck is the culprit. Not hard to think it gets pretty far out of operating temps stored inside an oven. Website doesn't seem to offer a temp range. Does the owner's manual?

Also to note: The Amazon reviews are all full of pics with swelled batteries / cracked open cases! Considering the massive fire Li-ion batteries make on failure, it's pretty damn risky keeping these things stored inside our expensive trucks!

Last edited:

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Umberto,

I bought this battery shortly after you did and used it multiple times for jump starting cars. Last week I decided to use it to recharge my phone.
Well.... I removed the battery and it felt strange in my hands. I remember it to be flat but this time it felt slightly buldged in the middle. I thought it was maybe my imagination but your post just proved it otherwise.
My battery pack seats in the garage and I toss it into the truck when going off roading or on longer trips, so it is not exposed to extreme heat.
This looks like a safety issue to me.
Will it set up my house on fire?
If you are going to talk directly to the manufacturer let us know about the outcome.
In the meantime I have to check when I bought it. ( AmEx extended warranty should cover it), but I will try to talk to the manufacturer first to check what they will say.
Thanks for the warning and keep us updated.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you store it at 50%?

No, sorry, I should have clarified, not my X10. I use Lipo's in other applications and have to store them at 50%. It's a unique battery chemistry that deserves more respect.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that there is no risk of fire unless the battery case (the blue skin you see in my photo) itself is perforated, in which case the chemicals react violently with oxygen, and that's where fires start. Needless to say, I don't plan on charging my xp-10 anymore... :cool:

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, sorry, I should have clarified, not my X10. I use Lipo's in other applications and have to store them at 50%. It's a unique battery chemistry that deserves more respect.

Yup, that's how I store my Mavic Pro's batteries. They actually self discharge to 50% or so if you don't use them for more than 10 days.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This should not happen to this battery pack after less then 2 years. Isn't this a design issue?
I wonder if people alredy contacted. The company and what was their response.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Website doesn't seem to offer a temp range. Does the owner's manual?

I pulled out the manual. In tiny print in the specs page, it says "Operating temperature: -20C to +60C". Even by Southern California standards, that should be enough of a spread. Can't imagine the interior of my car would get much hotter than 140F, although it might at times, I guess. However, I also went to check their web site and found the PDF of their most up-to-date manual, which I assume accompanies the XP-10s they ship out these days, not in 2015 when I bought mine. The operating range now reads -20C to +43C... Shoot, it gets hotter than that in my backyard in the summer, let alone my car.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read that there are lots of fake XP10 on the market and that a real XP 10 is covered with a rubberized finish. My battery has a glossy plastic finish and my storage case does not have a logo on it. It looks like I got a counterfeit product.
I thought I bought it on Amazon but can not find my order there . I am going to get rid of this thing.
Looking at your picture Umberto it seams like your battery has a rubberized finish.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that there is no risk of fire unless the battery case (the blue skin you see in my photo) itself is perforated, in which case the chemicals react violently with oxygen, and that's where fires start. Needless to say, I don't plan on charging my xp-10 anymore... :cool:

The fact they are ballooning out doesn't inspire confidence that the blue skin won't tear under stress.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read that there are lots of fake XP10 on the market and that a real XP 10 is covered with a rubberized finish. My battery has a glossy plastic finish and my storage case does not have a logo on it. It looks like I got a counterfeit product.
I thought I bought it on Amazon but can not find my order there . I am going to get rid of this thing.
Looking at your picture Umberto it seams like your battery has a rubberized finish.

There are other Amazon posts about fakes being shipped as well. I would still try and make contact with Amazon. They are world class for returns / customer service. Especially if they are shown in a bad light shipping fake products in their name.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA