Mobile Winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard a couple good things. Only draw back, it takes up more space when stowed.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better than nothing, I guess?? The major drawbacks are two things -

1. Inadequate load ratings for a Land Rover (3k, 4k, 6k)
2. Failures due to side-hill pulls. Most recoveries are some sort of side hill or off camber situation. Few recoveries happen directly in front of or directly behind.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how is hitch-mounted winch different from a frame mounted hitch when in a side hill or off camber situation . . . sorry if this is a stupid question . . . I have no experience w/winches . . .

King Angels

Reaction score
A mobile winch for the lashing of loads, comprising a base, a drum rotatably mounted on the base, and a drive for rotating the drum relative to the base, the drum being provided with a first opening in the peripheral surface of the drum communicating

Trynian

Reaction score
how is hitch-mounted winch different from a frame mounted hitch when in a side hill or off camber situation . . . sorry if this is a stupid question . . . I have no experience w/winches . . .

They are less stable then a regular mounted one because all the torque is put on the small area of the hitch receiver, especially on a side pull which, if I recall is not recommended with a hitch mounted winch.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trynian,
From what I've read, such as in the 4-wheeler's Bible, that's correct. Don't do a side-pull with a hitch-receiver mounted winch because of the forces applied on the small metal area. Imagine a pencil with the erasure end held. When pulled from any angle mostly straight-on it's fine but as the angle of incidence increases the force is focused on a smaller area. Eventually the pencil snaps, just as the hitch receiver.
But having one mounted like that on the front for mostly straight pulls seems an interesting compromise with carrying the extra weight and use on-road (say, in the city) and off-road use.
I just visualized pulling up to a Rtiz-Carleton or the opera with a big winch mounted on the front. I love it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM