My Disco in an Accident

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I was driving down the Don Valley Parkway (highway) and Eglington Ave E. (middle of the city, Toronto) and by the on ramp I noticed a car that was bobbing up and down like one would playing with the brakes. I was driving in the curb lane of a three way highway ... fastest way during rush hour ... and the traffic had stopped. It looked like a small fender bender some I decided to pass it on the right using the accelleration lane as I was clear at the time. No one would let anyone in on the middle lane.

As I got close to the accident I noticed that the car's driver was having a grand mal seizure and he was laying down on the seat with his head in the foot well of the 1995 Neon. I pulled back into the third lane slowly and was ready to call 911 and pull over up ahead. The young lady in the car before him (VW Golf) decided that she should get off the road and pulled over to the right. This movement caused the Neon to jump forward and start speeding down the highway. Seems the driver has his foot on the acelerator to the floor. I saw him start to move forward and said "Oh ****" to my sister in the passanger seat. I hit the gas but it was too late ... the Neon rear ended me twice.

I then decided to pull over to the curb and the Neon scrapped along the drivers side of the LR. At the same time I turned the wheel more to the right and put my brake on. The Neon then ran ito the guard rail and started skidding along. The first thing that came to mind .... damn one can think quite fast ... was that the truck has been hit and I should box it in to keep it from flying down the highway. As I got closer ( all this happened within a 400' lenght of Highway) the guard rail vears to the left as the acceleration lane ends. This ended up stopping the Neon. I pull behind the Neon and jump out. The driver is still having seizures and all I could think of was to turn off the car. Tried to open the door ... it was ******* with wire to keep the door closed. Tried to reach over and turn off the engine but the deployed airbag and his flailing stopped me. The motor finally died as it had no coolant and oil as the front of the car was pushed in.

This is were it get fun ... as he had settled down I then asked the VW driver if she was talking to 911 ... she said yes ... told here to tell them that the driver has had a grandmal seizure ... she relayed the info. She was shaken and stired as the Neon kept hitting her and burning rubber and she did not know what was happening. I then got into traffic control so the Emergency Vehicles couls have a clear path. Within a few minutes the Fire department and two ambulances show up and I drirected them to the car. Firedepartment tried the door and I showed them the wire. They cut it and helped the 30 year old guy out of the Neon. They talk him into the ambulance and start to check him out.

We are still waiting for Police to show and are doing the usuall chatting that goes on. The city sends a Traffic saftey crew who set of a flashing barrier and cones to protect the site. Still no Police. The Neon driver gets out of the ambulance with the Paramedics and Fire tryeng to get him back in and settle down. They do not have arrest powers. They still try to get him to stay and sit down. Now ... he pulls out a cell phone and calls someone. Within a few minutes he decides to jump the guard rail and starts walking west down Eglington (major roadway. The Para's and FF decide to follow him and if he has a seizure, they can pick him up, tie him to a streacher and hold him.

Still no Police.

An Ambulance decides to try to follow him and turns on the lights and whoop-wail and drive down after him. They lose sight of him.

Still no Police.

A hour and a half later the Police decided to finnaly show up ... hey, Rush Hour, Major artery into the core ... must be kept clear .. eh ... and they started the investigation.

Seems the Neon driver has lost his license a few years back, has a drunk driving conviction and two more before the courts. The plates don't match the car, he did not change to ownership of the car ... does not, or may have insurance on the car via the "Autoshop" that sold him the car with financing. As we have no fault insurance in Ontario ... I get my truck fixed and get a rental ... but ... I have to pay $300 deductable and my Insurance CO works out the legals and gets my $300 back later.

Damage to the truck ... about $4900 CDN ... and NO SHEET METAL or FRAME damage. The rear bumber system and mouldings including spare tire to be replaced. The mouldings on the drivers side ... to be replaced. Slight paint scratches to be corrected. AND the running boards to be replaced.

This saved the the drivers side of the truck. The rear bumber/protection system in the LR did its job. It did protect the fram and body while absorbing the impact. Oh ... the back step has to be replaced.

Now ... if I was not there ... it would of been worse as the highway was opened up a bit and if he had gained speed ... ****!!!

N

NHESS81

well...first off, seems like you made some quick and smart reactions...second, that totally sucks about your truck, but it could have been worse....third, well, thanks for sharing the story, hope it becomes a good bonfire tale that you can laugh at some day when this is all fixed and blown over....

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ... and people wonder why we drive these Rovers .... no doubt in my mind now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635