My First Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

ronprx

After many months at looking at this car, I purchased one at Encino LR. Wanted to purchase at South Bay, near my home, but they wouldn't deal with me at all. Purchased the car for a bit over x-plan pricing. Fully loaded HSE7 with running boards, DVD Factory dealer install) black/black.

So far so good with just over 350 miles on it. I took it for a long trip to San Diego. Making sure to keep it at 60MPH or below..geez did that make for a long trip, but I was getting around 20 MPG. Sounds pretty good to me. Not a lot of time to read the books, but the NAV was fairly intuitive and much better than my wifes 2003 CD based Bav in the BMW. Was even able to figure out a few of the voice commandes, which the wife thought wass very cool.

The car drives incredible. Although it is a huge vehicle, it drives like a sports car. The visibility is great for the most part, but a bit tough at the rear view mirror with the second row seats...even harder with the DVD down. I have the cold weather package and the heater lines in the windshield don't bother me at all. Nobody even notices them unless you point it out. Cooler box is very cool and get's a lot of kudos. Great for my 2 year old. Speaking of kids, large car seat fits fine, but with Jr coming in two weeks, it may be tough to fit one in the middle as well. Will report back on that.

Headlights (adaptive) are killer. Very neat to see them move while driving and the high beams are nothing short of daylight. We were in Rancho Santa Fe, no lights and got to the destintation with no problem...NAV helped too.

Also stopped to get an AUX cable for my MP3 (iRiver) and listened to my music all the way down. Crystal clear and not be an audiphile the sound is more than adequate.

Programmed the dash comupter, and like the function, was able to turn off the window dipping...not a big fan. Need to read up on "lazy entry" and a few other features that I'm not aware of.

Third row seats are great and was even able to get Grandma and Grandpa in the back...a bit of trouble climbing in, but comfortable once they got there.

Being carfeul about starting car ... i.e. waiting for the "boot" process on the rolling PC, and keeping fingers crossed that I receive no errors.

Planning on adding side molding, mud flaps, and getting a feedback fixed in the DVD...still needs a total detail as well.

Question? Any thoughts on extended warrantly? I plan on keeping this car for 10 years. Pricing on warrantly?

Lastly, thank you for all those that have posted information about their vehichle. I too can now add to the discussion.

PS. Accidentally went in the pool with the remote and it still works.

T

toddjb123

Yup...heard the remote is good to 75 feet or something, almost advertised (dealer) like you could plan on swimming with it regularly if it was an issue. Whatever...

Anyway, what is the "window dipping" feature that you talked about?

I actually have the CCP as well and didn't notice the windshield lines until I read your post! Didn't even know I had them...what is that, some super defrost feature as opposed to just warm air? Nice.

Since you mentioned sports car driving, do you find you drive in Sport mode or regular? It seems that mine shifts a little more aggressively in sport mode, which I like. (not manual shifting, just moved over to the left).

Still am not used to the high reving smaller engine. I know, its still a big engine, but I was driving a nice throaty sounding 5.9L Dodge V8 and it was rare that I heard a high rev on that. The LR3 engine whines any time I punch it. This is probably just getting used to the engine...but, I'm playing with the new toy. :)

Thanks for the post - good info.

(anyone that can comment on any of this, actually, would be welcomed...)

R

ronprx

I guess I should have said rear view mirror dipping for reverse....BMW just has passenger, but LR has both sides and a bit annoying to back up. You can turn it off with the "stalk" on the steering column.

Defroster for the windows...We get lots of snow and ice in Hermosa Beach :)

Have only been in "standard" mode. Will venture out once I pass the 500 mile mark.

Any comments on extende warranty?

T

toddjb123

Somewhere there were comments on extended warranty pricing. My credit union told me they offer a warranty that usually beats the manufacturer's extended price. Also, you don't have to buy it until your factory warranty is about to run out. So, if that's the case with most, you might as well wait until 39,000 miles to buy it, right?

That way you don't waste the $ if you happen to trade the car in before that time. The costs I've heard were $1800 - $2200 to take you to 100K miles.

R

ronprx

They quoted about that and a bit more, but pressured to buy now or no go. I would like to confirm that I can buy the same type of warranty at a later date.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer told me I had until 15,000 miles to buy a LR extended warranty at same price as time of purchase...so I'm waiting.

J

jasbluesal

I bought the warranty. $2500 regular price, which they reduced to $1900. They said it could only be reduced when purchased upfront. Being a new model and a Land Rover, the transmission alone is $8000 to repair.

D

DesertDJ

1 Week After Purchase - I really love this truck!

After months of ignoring the LR3 and discounting it as ugly, I'm a changed man. My first truck every was a '96 Disco and I really liked that truck. Never had any major mechanical problems. I grew to love it in that quirky British way... I bought my wife a new '98 Range Rover (thankfully I leased it) and all we had were problems. By 18,000 miles the block had blown. It was in the shop for 50% of its 36 month lease. I sold the Disco in '99 and bought a new Hummer H1. The most awesome off-roader. Too big for many fire trails out here in AZ and CA but I just drove over obstacles that others had to place tires on. Went to the Hummer Academy and learned some great technical driving. GM contacted me for a focus group just when they were think of getting rights to the Hummer brand. During that porocess I realized that GM was going destroy the brand. I sold the Hummer and bought a Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG and thought my off-road days were over. Well, a couple of months ago I start to get the bug and go out looking for a new truck. Wranglers, Land Cruisers, G-Wagons, reading up on Commander, H3s and Range Rover Sport. With exception of the Range Rover Sport everything else is a gussied up Chevy Colorado platform or real old technology. I didn't want o spend much over $50K and I didn't want to wait for delivery of the RR sport. So last weekend I finally went to my Land Rover dealer and test drove the LR3 as an act of desperation. Incredibly, I was astonished at the handling, comfort, ergonometrics, quietness and power. Bought a 2005 black/black SE with Navigation, HD package, Rear Seat package, Cold Climate package, Lighting package, Tow package, Rear Climate Control and put on black side tubes and body moulding and rear lamp guards. Took it off-road last weekend and it went everywhere the Hummer did. I bottomed out on the rear exhaust pipes where they wrap around the rear axle and stick down more then they should. Also I think there is way too much plastic on the front and rear of truck. It looks good for the street but there's nothing to hang a Jerry Can or bolt an antenna to. I don't like the LR factory brush guards (and how they take a jig saw to the plastic grill to mount them) or low winch mounting position either. So I'm hoping SMA comes up with an aftermarket metal bumpers and/or brush guard. 400 miles and today I just had a Suspension Fault. I had to turn off the ignition and restart and it cleared itself. I had the tow electrics installed by the dealer and I've read in this forum where others who had it installed also had suspensuion faults. Despite some of the short comings I think the truck is well executed. The rear seat package and flat folding seats are great. I really like driving the truck. Baring any major systemic problems I could keep it for years and have lots of fun out here in the AZ desert. PS: Land Rover Scottsdale was super to deal with.

A

AussieLR3

DeertDJ,

For an aerial mount I made up a bracket that attaches to the front radiator support panel. There are some hollow tubes in this panel which tap very easily with a bolt. The bracket then protrudes just above the oval Landrover badge on the grill (which is easily removed without any tools). So there are no holes or plastic cut. Being in Australia we have RHD so the aerial is on the LHS but equally you can mount the bracket on the RHS for the US because these hollow tubes are on both sides of the radiator support panel.

I also scrapped the exhausts at the back and ground away the plastic shield hanging down behind the exhaust in front of the spare. The plastic is too hard it should be a more flexible and rubbery.

Chris

T

trojan530

what is x-plan pricing

also who did you talk to at encino, i am looking for a LR3 hse also
thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member