My private LR mechanic wants to move to synthetic oil. Shall I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 4.4 engine are designed to run specifically on conventional oil , so I heard from Master mechanics ,over the pond.

I think my master tech at Flying Circus said the same thing now that you reminded me of the specifics.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it came with a Synthetic-blend in it...

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it came with a Synthetic-blend in it...

You're right, at some point I know it had that too. Pretty sure it started out that way. I don't know when it was changed.

Frankly I don't know what's in it now. Managing maintenance on three different cars gets confusing.

Last edited:

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked my LR3 up with just under 50k miles. Not knowing what was previously used, I started my first oil change with the castrol 5w30 full synthetic. I thought for some reason that if a car has run synthetic, it's not ideal to go back to conventional. .. I could be way wrong!

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked my LR3 up with just under 50k miles. Not knowing what was previously used, I started my first oil change with the castrol 5w30 full synthetic. I thought for some reason that if a car has run synthetic, it's not ideal to go back to conventional. .. I could be way wrong!

I think it's generally stated that you can run into problems doing it the other way around... starting with dino and switching to synthetic on higher mileage engines. It has something to do with the conventional oil not being able to keep the seals/gaskets moisturized, so they dry out over time. However, there is generally sludge that builds up and helps to maintain the seal. The synthetic oil actually helps to clean this sludge up, which results in oil leaks/seepage until the seals/gaskets are re-moisturized.

Or something like that... I could just be making that up, but I'm pretty sure that's what I've heard in the past.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I have heard and worries me. What qualifies as "higher mileage"? I am at 75k. Too late to switch?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running Royal Purple synthetics for over three years, I am quite satisfied with the performance. That said, the 7500 mile range for changes is a good range, per others comments.

Never too late to switch Paula.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think it is worth it doing to an independent LR mechanic for the servicing / top offs / oil change and pay $250-300 or go PepBoys and pay $40 with a coupon for synthetic oil change (do they do all other top offs?)?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally, and I mean very generally I would avoid coupons and deals as they might use synthetic (questionable), but they will use a crappy filter. I also doubt they would honor that price once they figure out there are 8 quarts involved. As far as top offs, you probably wouldn't be low on anything except maybe wiper fluid? BUT I wouldn't pay $250-$300 either, does the dealer even charge that much?? What are the odds we could get you to do it yourself? Umberto has an excellent how-to video on youtube. With the purchase of a mityvac, it can be done at home (and neatly) in 15 minutes or so.
edit: Umberto's video is with an LR4. I'm not totally familiar with the Mityvac, can it be used on an LR3, or will it not get all the oil out? maybe someone else can chime in on that...if not, it's not as easy as you have to get under the truck and you'll get dirtier :)

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running Royal Purple synthetics for over three years, I am quite satisfied with the performance. That said, the 7500 mile range for changes is a good range, per others comments.

Never too late to switch Paula.

Not totally directed at you, but since you mentioned it, I'll bring it up here. I hear about people being 'very happy' with expensive oil (Royal Purple as much as any). My question is, has anybody ever actually been unhappy with dino oil? I've just never heard anyone complain that "man, I used such and such and my engine just didn't run right" In other words I guess, what makes you particularly happy with RP that you just weren't getting with other oils? Or is it just the longer life that makes you happy? I totally get that it's an expensive vehicle and you want to put the best in it, and that's cool. But can you really notice anything special?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM