Need Advice On Purchasing A Used LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beatboy77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am less than two-weeks away from purchasing a 2005 LR3 SE with 37K miles from the local CarMax. CarMax has a 30-day warranty which comes with the vehicle and I will be buying their 5-year/50K extended warranty. What are some of the things I should check for in the first 30 days?

~Josh

beatboy77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you say it would be alright to get the LR3's breaks done at a typical break shop like Breaks Plus, Midas, etc?

~Josh

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@beatboy77
Yes definitely, completely standard break job, just remember to reattach the brake pad wear sensor when you put the new pads back on. Atlantic British carries some great oem replacements and EBC upgrade kits.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beatboy77.. I am assuming you are buying in Canada? I bought my 05 HSE with 60k on it and I thought that was a good find..

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advice is to stay away from the chain brake stores. Midas doesn't seem to get the bad rep, like brakes plus and the like. I have had sabotage issues with a brakes plus, not to mention the other stuff they tried to sell us. If it's anything like your standard disc brake setup, I would assume it's pretty easy to do yourself. You can either get new rotors and replace it all, or you might find a machine shop that will turn (true) your rotors and then you can get new pads. I haven't done anything on my LR3 yet, but when the time comes, I will probably be doing my own brakes!

J.D.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do search on brakes and rotors for an education.

seanFLA

Reaction score
Had one break job done on my 2005 LR3 at 52K. Breaks were squeeling, which has become a common problem on them. Decided to go with a ceramic pad and what a difference. I know they won't last as long, but no more squeels and no more brake dust!

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, dealing with brake dust now. Yuck! I think I'm going to try a product called "Wheel Shield". It won't stop the brake dust discoloration, but it'll keep it from staining the wheels.

J.D.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheel shields block heat dissipation. Overheat your rotors and they will warp. Stopping a 3 ton truck creates dust. The top 5 best solutions I have found:

5) avoid stop lights/signs
4) get 5 spoke rims - 2x easier to clean
3) wax wheels for easier cleanup
2) semimetalic pads create less dust
and the #1) powdercoat wheels black!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9