Need fast help pls - Snow Chanis or Cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 255/60-18's. The size I have is #0141. I had my doubts about the clearance
issue, but have used them twice and have not had any problems.

Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm inept when it comes to snow chains...

I fitted them again this weekend and they seem to touch. I used a mirror and a flashlight and they touch if they move down the tread at all. If they are "high" on the tread, then there is about 1/16" clearance.

Here is what I am doing:

1) RUD Grip size 0141
2) Front wheels (stock 18", 255 60 R18); 36lbs inflation
3) Vehicle in off-road height
4) Followed the RUD instructions

Is this what everyone else is doing?? Thanks for all your help and understanding!

Rich
NGOphotographer

P

pbrover

Rich,

I can only focus on the word "seem"! I am assuming your following the directions to the tee! I put them on in my driveway twice before actually using them. I really pulled on the tightening mechanism to get them super tight in the driveway. In Yosemite. I put them on in the snow in Yosemite (make sure you bring a pad and some decent gloves because its cold and messy), tightened them ,then drove about 30 yards and pulled them super tight again. Absolutely no rubbing! I don't know what else to say, except maybe take them to a tire store or garage and see if they can help you!

Reaction score
Thanks pbrover!

I think I am going to return them and look at SCC Chains (Super Z6) as an alternative.

I went to the LR dealer and looked at the actual chains that LR sells for the LR3. They are not the Grip (size 0141).

The links are physically smaller (almost half to 2/3 the size) and different from the links on the Grip (size 0141). Yes, the chains say RUD on them. From the numbers on the chains and the link style they look like RUD KANTENSPUR V or possibly the Classic.

I went to the German website (www.rudchains.com). The Grip's gets 4 smiley faces for clearance and the KANTENSPUR has 5 smiley faces for clearance. BTW, the Classic and Easy2Go also get 5 smiley faces.

Will let you know what happens.

Rich
NGOphotographer

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI: I use Super Z6 (SZ 43 I think) - on front only. In fact, I just used them on some heavy soft snow/ice off-road around Soda Springs, CA. I had to... or I would have needed a recovery pull. :)

P

pbrover

grommet said:
FYI: I use Super Z6 (SZ 43 I think) - on front only. In fact, I just used them on some heavy soft snow/ice off-road around Soda Springs, CA. I had to... or I would have needed a recovery pull. :)

Grommet,

Why does Land Rover not want snow chains on the rear tires?

Thank you

Reaction score
Ended up with the SCC Z6s. Still have to fit them.

The LR3 Manual states to use on the front wheel (p. 210).

It may have something to do with the LR3 being permanent (full-time) 4-wheel drive and they way the locking differential is utilized along with the fronts providing the steering.

NGOphotographer

P

pbrover

NGOphotographer said:
Ended up with the SCC Z6s. Still have to fit them.

The LR3 Manual states to use on the front wheel (p. 210).

It may have something to do with the LR3 being permanent (full-time) 4-wheel drive and they way the locking differential is utilized along with the fronts providing the steering.

NGOphotographer

Yes, I am aware of what the manual states. I looking for the technical explanation from a Land Rover employee. I also considered the "locking electronic differential" being the issue. I much prefer them being on the front becuase of steering; on the Disco II the manual stated only on the back, so I had the opposite problem.

I would only use all four chains in a very extreme situation (chances of using less than 1%).

P.S. I attended a Land Rover wheels event and the lead instructor inquired for me, and made some calls and he was advised that it would not be an issue to put chains on the rear of an LR3. He also stated that if I wanted a more detailed answer to e-mail him, which I will do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge