Need fast help pls - Snow Chanis or Cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

kouros

I' driving to Yosemite National Park tomorrow and I've test fitted at least 2 cbales from local Autozones and Napa. After installation, they all seem to hit the upper A-arm on the front tires. There is only 1/2" for anything to pass between the Upper A-arm and the inside rim.

I called local LR dealer and they wanted $700 for LR chains! I told the these are for the tires not my neck!

It seems like the cables would fit the rear wheels much eaisier but the dealer insisted to install chains or cables on the fron tires.

Any replies would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Kouros

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clear up, the owners manual does state to only put chains on the front. As you have already seen, the clearance is minimal @ best. In all honesty, I wouldn't feel comfortable reccommending chains, cables or anything on the front of an LR3, the clearance is just not there.
This is a question I fielded all last week and I don't have a good answer for it.

My PERSONAL solution was to drive the BFG's. Last weeks storm didn't effect me @ all.

K

kouros

I forgot to mention that I have the stock 18" rims too. The CHP does not care what car/SUV/Truck you drive. The rules apply to all. When they say chains required, you either put them on or its a no-go. The user manual strongly suggests that you do not install chains/cables to the rear!

What's up with all this? And then a $700 LR Chain. . . I'm screwed one way or another.

Happy holidays.

O

OskiBear

Sorry that this reply is probably too late to help but here's a good resource for all questions chain related:

http://www.chainsbysnowbird.com/

This fellow posts regular on the Mammoth Mountain forum and answers all the inevitable chain questions each season. Hope it helps!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flextrax.com
Haven't used them but there is a testimonial in there of a guy with an LR3 that says they work well.

P

pbrover

LR3invancouver said:
I tend to take whatever Bill Burke suggests as gospel. Here is the brand he uses (and, yes I asked about the LR3 soacifically). http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.htm

OK I have the answers for you. First: I purchased a set of Rud Grip chains from Bill Burke last year for my winter trips to Yosemite. When you purchase from him you get a set of (4). I only put the chains on the front (per the manual) and they fit perfectly and go on very easily once you get the hang of it. By the way I have the HSE package, therefore I have the 19 inch tires and there is no scraping or rubbing at all. As you are probably aware, once you get in Yosemtie National Park there are times throughout the year where R3 road conditions (chians on all vehicles, even 4x4; it does not matter if you have MTR's or snow tires..chains period) are enforced. Why do they require this? Well I think its to prevent the motorhome gang from going inside park when the roads are snow covered and the roads are fairly curvy with some severe sheer drop offs. The valley floor is around 4,600 and the park entrance roads are below that, so it takes a really cold storm to create wintry conditions on those roads. Now the road to Badger Pass Ski area starts off around 5,000 ft and you climb to around 7,800 ft once you get to the ski area. So of all the roads, that one (about 5 miles long) is most likely to be snow and ice covered. Only 2 - 3 storms a year create severe wintry conditions on the valley floor and park entrance roads.The Badger Pass ski area has not changed much in 70 yrs. and it is really basic, so dont expect much when it comes to the building and the factilites but the beauty is a 10. If you are going to the ski area, make sure you get there before the buses arrive from the valley floor. Good Luck and Happy Travels. I recommend you buy the chains from LR since your out of time and ask them what there return policy is if you dont use them. Chances are you won't have to put them on. Once you get back just return the chains and get your money back then order the chains from Bill Burke. This will allow to you prove to the CHP that you have chains if chain controls are enforced (R2 conditions) and if you have to put them in Yosemite your trip will not be a waste. By the way, the only time Cal Trans/CHP requires chains on 4x4's in the Sierras (R3 conditions) is in near white out blizzard conditions (they usually close the roads before going to R3), therefore I have not experienced R3 conditions, outside of Yosemite Park, in the 10 years I have be going to the Sierras. Only Yosemite National Park has posted R3 conditions and I have experienced that 3 times while I was there over the past 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

dbregman

Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing the Rud Grip chains from Bill Burke. Since they come in a set of 4 and LR only wants you to put them on the front, I was wondering if anyone wanted to go in on a set. We would end up with 2 set each. My tires are 255 60/R18 (pretty standard for the SE I think).

If you are interested let me know.

David

P

pbrover

David,
Try calling them direct and see if they well sell you just two!

Rud-Chain, Inc.
P.O. Box 8145
1300 Stoney Point Road S.W.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52408-8145
Phone: (800) 553-7993
(319) 390-4040

Fax: (877) 512-7209
(319) 390-3342

dtmelm

Reaction score
dbregman said:
I am thinking of purchasing the Rud Grip chains from Bill Burke. Since they come in a set of 4 and LR only wants you to put them on the front, I was wondering if anyone wanted to go in on a set. We would end up with 2 set each. My tires are 255 60/R18 (pretty standard for the SE I think).

If you are interested let me know.

David
David - I sent you a message. I'd go in with you...BTW...I used these style of chain on my Avalanche (traded in yesterday on an LR3 SE) and as mentioned, had to chain up going into Yosemite 3 years ago (17" in 2 days). Rangers confirmed my suspicion...They do it to discourage people and get them to turn around...Most figure that if the 4x4's have to chain, they want no part of it...

BTW...Was in the park the 30th through the 2nd and know that you didn't have any problems...

D.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo