Need help with 4" LIFT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 year model... And I am needing to put new shocks and springs on it.. I go to the beach and dear lease quit a bit.. I've looked online as much as I can but i get all lost.. what is it that I need to get to do a 4" in lift?? I have seen some pics of a 2" but that's too low compared to a 4".. please need help and ideas , and if so some websites to get some good deals for shocks and springs for a 4" lift...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why 4", are you ready to shell out an extra $1000 plus to modify your D1 to handle a 4", what size tires will you be running?

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I use this vehicle everday, I am running 245/75 I need new shock, and springs, and also a shock damper , the issue I have is that if I go at an angle on hills and stuff my tires rub Tue body bad, so... That's the issue , but .. so should I just do a 2"? And ideas is great.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You better go to RTE, Rover Tyme Engering and read up on all that is required to get full articulation from a 4" lift.
Also 245's will look like roller skate wheels on a true 4".
You will need a lot more then sprigs and shocks that's why I mentioned you will need at least an extra $1000 above tires and a lift kit.
Go for a 3" and be happy.

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's fine , Im happy with a 3" if that will solve my problem and I can keep those size of tires..

mark D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4" Lift

I am running 265/ 70/16 on my D2. It sits real nice and the proportions look good. I don't rub and I don't have a lift on the D2.
Remember if you go with too tall of a tire, you will start looking like a boot on wheels because of the short wheel base.

Be careful with the height of tire you put on, tall isn't always a good thing especially on a curved off ramp at 75 mph.
I was looking at a 2" lift and coil spring retainers for a bit more added clearance but I am comfortable with the tire size right now.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I had 245/75/16's on my D1... you can do it with our without a lift... you just need to trim the fenders as the fender wells are to small. I had a 2 inch lift on mine, but by the time I added a 300lbs front bumper and over 150lbs of running boards and another 150lbs fro the rear bumper my lift didn't equal 2 inches anymore... but having the fenders cut meant it only rubbed when I had too much weight in the back other than that... no issues. I don't know too many rovers that had the oil field type bumpers I had so I doubt you will have that much weight in yours. So a 2 or 3 inch lift should be fine.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another often overlooked issue with going to larger diameter tires is that they directly affect your gear ratio (i.e., in terms of torque at the wheels). It was the first thing I noticed when I went over the factory-issue size: i.e., you lost a little (not too much) of that wonderful LR low-gearing and, the reduction in that small amount of torque at the wheels also knocked off about 5 MPG (i.e., the engine was now working harder to turn those bigger tires and thus the small loss in MPG). The one outfit that I have seen that has a correction for this is TODCO - as he has a gear (for each oversize tire height) that you install into your transfer case to return the original gear ratio that your LR was designed for (i.e., so original torque and mpg also return).

Last edited:

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey where did u get your front and back bumper from? Mike I have decided where to get lift from,, been searching like crazy.. if any one has some good ideas and good prices that would ne great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM