Need some help/advice on my washer fluid pump...I think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure - might try to detect a clogged (frozen) line (i.e., maybe pump drawing more power) and turn it off to prevent burning the pump out. I see a code in the manual (B1051-23) relating to the washer switch (signal stuck-low, whatever that means). Maybe there are others as well.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Sounds logical. Would be better if there was an automatic reset tied to ambient temperature rather that requiring a trip to the dealership- oh wait, silly me…. At least some of us have invested in the IIDTool,

Sounds like I play with it on the 2013, then send the IID to my daughter so we can reset the 2016. Helps to have a reserve LR4 - ha, ha!

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the cheaper generic scan tools only read PCM codes like engine fault codes (check engine light). You'd definitely need the IID tool or any other LR specific or high end scanner tools. I personally have the RSW solutions tool, but IID is the best for these vehicles since my RSW tool didn't have the capability to read BCM codes. The code that needs to be cleared for this issue is a BCM code. Only higher end scan tools can read and clear the BCM codes. I had to borrow a high end foxwell scanner tool from a friend who does work on German cars. That tool alerted me to almost 50 faults set by the BCM. I did change out all of the bulbs in the truck interior to LED. They work beautifully, but the truck senses that the bulbs require less power to operate and sensed it as a fault since a higher power is usually required to operate the stock yellow bulbs. That accounted to a majority of the codes i was getting. As @jlglr4 stated as well previously, i did have a BCM code that prevented my tailgate actuator from powering on after i swapped a new actuator in. Basically the truck senses issues within the truck and shuts power off to the failed component to prevent further damage. Fixing the component is half the job, clearing the code set by the BCM is the other half. That tells the truck the issue is fixed, please send power back to the part! Lets hope that is the case with your daughters windshield washer pump.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, as the OP, I thought I would follow up with the prognosis. It ended up being...nothing. Just started working again and for what reason I have no idea. The temps climbed a bit here on Tuesday (40F) and it was around 30 on Wed so I suspect it may have just been frozen. Front and rear working just fine. The fluid coming out is a very pale blue so I'm inclined to think someone may have put water in the reservoir. I'm in the process of pumping out the whole thing and starting over with low temp fluid. I'm just so happy we didn't have to tear apart the front end to find a frozen reservoir.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daughter finally had a few minutes to perform a remote diagnostic session.

So whatever had probably frozen at 7F was unfrozen at 27F.
Pump still works, no re-set required.

Pumped out alot of "washer fluid" and back filled with the good stuff -25F.
She has instructions to continue running the washer fluid and refilling until it's that good old RainEx orange...

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daughter finally had a few minutes to perform a remote diagnostic session.

So whatever had probably frozen at 7F was unfrozen at 27F.
Pump still works, no re-set required.

Pumped out alot of "washer fluid" and back filled with the good stuff -25F.
She has instructions to continue running the washer fluid and refilling until it's that good old RainEx orange...
Sounds exactly like what my problem was. The one thing I noticed however while draining out my reservoir tank as well was that with my headlights on and countless wash cycles to drain the tank, my headlight jets never once activated. I know they only activate every so many cycles, but this was nothing. There wasn't any spillage on the ground, no seepage from the jets themselves, nothing. Guess I have a new project. It's always something.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No headlight jets on this one.
But we had them on the '92 Isuzu Trooper - as they got older they seeped and then began to stain the paint. I disconnected before any permanent paint damage was done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut