New 2013 LR4 owner with a couple questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The extended warranty covers control arm shafts and bushings.

That's good. Probably $5k well spent on that warranty.

That said, I probably paid about $3,500 more for my LR4 when I bought in in January 2016 than I would have a non-CPO LR4 in the same condition and miles, and, until I had them replace the timing chain and guides this past December right before the warranty ran out, I had only amassed around $1,500 - $2,000 in repairs under warranty.

The timing chain job (and other things they replaced at the same time) was probably around $6k in work and parts, though, so the warranty proved to be a wise choice.

Since yours is a '13, you hopefully won't have the same timing chain issues.

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any other common upgrades owners often make to the 13' model ? I'm thinking led interior lighting, upgrade headlight bulbs to bright white (philips crystal vision ultra, etc), running boards, second set of winter wheels/tires).

Do the taillights from the '14-'16 LR4 fit the '13 ?
Is there a cargo liner made to fit between the third row and tailgate ?
Is it difficult to retrofit rear headrest entertainment ?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a cargo liner made to fit between the third row and tailgate ?

I have never seen this item offered but could be wrong. When the 3rd row of seats is deployed, the amount of remaining cargo space is negligible. I know they make a rubber mat for the footwell area of the 3rd row seats.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
upgrade headlight bulbs to bright white (philips crystal vision ultra, etc)

That aint no upgrade.

https://www.landroverworld.org/posts/164796/

The only thing i would change from my post there is that they are making some LED bulbs now that do a much better job of mimicking the lightsource of a halogen. The ones that do this properly aren't the amazon cheapos, though.

I still think, though, that the best and most pure way to upgrade a halogen housing on an LR4 is to find some xenon housings. That's what I wound up doing.

fireangel1313

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I just recently purchased a 2013 HSE and created the following thread...lots of good stuff there.

https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/maintenance-concerns.40286/

Also, make sure your battery is the recommended type and that it is in good shape. Just went through that whole headache. The one that came with my rover was probably past its life and not an AGM. It even tested good at the shop. Just something to consider. Car flipped out for a few minutes after changing it bc of the difference in voltage, until the system reset then all was good. Also, if you plan on taking off road much I’d agree with getting a full size spare as mentioned earlier. In addition, not sure what size wheels you have but Walmart may still have the Cooper ATZs dirt cheap!

I did not get an extended warranty given the 2013 shouldn’t have as many issues as previous models and that I do most the mech work myself. When compared to the Armada I used to have, the wear items that I can replace on my own aren’t nearly as expensive for this vehicle. Be sure to get it up in the air and check for wheel bearing play, mine are still solid at 94k. Oil change doesn’t require a $100 pump if you can work a wrench.

LOVE MY LR4!!! Looking forward to the love/hate relationship we will have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kenk

Reaction score
Step 1 is to buy a Mityvac on Amazon so you can do your own oil changes.
Check what your warranty says about oil changes. My warranty says oil changes must be documented by a shop, diy do not count.

Edit, congrats on the LR4. You'll love it, but as a previous Range Rover owner you already know that. I just got a 2010 LR4 in June.

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First driving impressions:

Damn I love this thing ! Its the perfect mix of utility, ruggedness, and luxury. My most recent rover was a 2014 RRS which did nothing for me (maybe because it was also the V6). This LR4 just feels like an all around better car. Driving position, visibility, turning radius, suspension, are all excellent. Plenty of room in the third row for an average adult. Its also wider in the back than I expected. I have two kids car seats installed and there is plenty of room between them for an adult. I thought about removing the middle seat but pushing it down to its lowest position is good enough for the kiddos to walk into the third row if they want.
Makes me want to buy a low mileage 2016 and store it away for our future car.
Of course the MPG could be better and I wish it had power sunroof shades. Infotainment system feels like Im using Windows 95 but Im not too concerned about that as I dont use it much.

My first DIY will be installing aftermarket running boards. The instructions that came with them are horrible, so lets see how this goes.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check what your warranty says about oil changes. My warranty says oil changes must be documented by a shop, diy do not count.

My 2013 warranties are expired. I'm confident that changing the oil myself every 7500 miles using Mobil 1 EP is fine, especially compared to dealer oil changes every 15,000 miles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72