New air struts and Lucky 8 SYA kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 Arnott's and SYA kit are in transit, now I just need to make the tire decision. 255/65r19 Duratrac or 255/60r19 A/T 3. Leaning toward the Toyo's but I'd really like that extra bit of height and sidewall.

Before tires and labor I'm at just under $5K for the year so far.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 255/65/19 wildpeak at, very happy with them. Although they are not xl rated tires. For my 95% on road, I'm not concerned. Sounds like you may want to use the truck to more of its potential, so it may make a difference in your scenario.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new struts, SYA kit and duratrac 255/65r19s are installed. I was supposed to pick it up today but they are having an issue with the rear suspension. You get a “clunk” you can feel when you go over any size bump. It feels like something shifting around.

The shop needs a bit more time to figure out what’s going on. So far they’ve been great, it’s only been there a few days. Must have patience.
7AC8CB55-064F-4CD4-A30F-83F24F6C1059.jpeg

Last edited:

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sway bar endlink would be my first guess with clunk over bumps. Maybe even loose bolts.

RedDirtRover

Reaction score
The new struts, SYA kit and duratrac 255/65r19s are installed. I was supposed to pick it up today but they are having an issue with the rear suspension. You get a “clunk” you can feel when you go over any size bump. It feels like something shifting around.

The shop needs a bit more time to figure out what’s going on. So far they’ve been great, it’s only been there a few days. Must have patience.
View attachment 12745
To pick back up on this thread...CaliLee, did you ever get the clunking in the rear sorted out?

I have been running the SYA kit all around with 2.5" Johnson Rods (Front shocks-Arnott, Rear shocks-factory Delphi) and had no issues (other than about 10 blown air lines, but that's a completely different conversation).
I recently replaced the rear struts with new(to me) Arnotts. I picked the shocks up from an owner who ran them for ~30K and they look almost brand new-he converted over to cols. He didn't really wheel in his vehicle and was not running any suspension modifications (SYA kit or rods). Additionally, he confirmed that he was able to raise and lower the vehicle without any issues.

After installing the Arnotts on the rear of my vehicle (again, I'm running SYA spacers and Johnson Rods) I immediately noticed/felt the rear to be a TERRIBLE ride. Every little bump made it almost feel like it was bottoming out with a "clunk" noise. I'm curious if this is the "clunk" you were referring to?
Additionally, I could no longer lower my ride into access height (I know that many ppl running SYA spacers loose access height but I did not, until switching over the the Arnott rears). Further, I adjusted increased the height an additional +2" via the GAP tool and it only slightly fixed the problem and the car was now WAY too high.

Does anyone else out there have issues running Arnott rears with the SYA spacers?
I'm wondering if it's messing the geometry up and the "bottoming out" feeling is really something else.

All other rear suspension components are in sound condition so the noise/feeling I'm getting is quite certainly directly related to the shocks.

One more tidbit...I have now removed the SYA spacers from the Arnott rears, reinstalled and everything is normal. What the heck is going on here???

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I have no idea what might have happened... did you try contacting Arnott tech support?

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For mine I just had to re-calibrate the suspension higher, it was too low. Ride is fine now. I'm still having stability control issues though and it's at the shop now being calibrated a little lower. They also messed up the alignment which may be causing some of that, too much positive camber. I think they did the alignment originally prior to changing the height which ******* it up.

RedDirtRover

Reaction score
I just can't wrap my head around it. I'm also not the only one who's having this issue. A buddy of mine who is a certified LR tech recently installed the SYA and decided to change out his rears with brand new Arnott shocks since his vehicle is high milage and was running the originals too. He had the exact same issue. He retired them and went with another brand.
Also, there's no way its an alignment issue since the car was sitting at the exact same height with both shocks.
Now, I would have it realigned if I adjusted the height higher but then, as mentioned before, I think the car is running way too high.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like there may be a design difference in the Arnotts vs OE/OEM Firestones...

:stupido2:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV