New air struts and Lucky 8 SYA kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedDirtRover

Reaction score
Something is different. Also, putting the Arnotts on, with the SYA kit is a total PITA. You have to compress the shock with a jack (since Arnott has the pressure release valve that keeps a minimum of 80psi in the shock) and then really force it to align it with bottom bolt. That’s why I think the SYA kit cause some sort of geometry problem. Has anyone experienced this with the instal?

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the first I’ve heard of issues with the arnotts personally. When I told the shop what I was getting they said they put them on all the time. This was their first SYA kit though and it has been a bit challenging.

We drove it 60 miles down to Hollister hills and spent the day wheeling a couple weeks ago, it was great. Ride is awesome now.

When I had the clanking/ride issue it would go away when at off road height, does yours?

What tires are you running? Isn’t the calibration from the center of the wheel or something like that? Sorry I’m still not comprehending this process completely.

Basically I’m saying that with larger tires the calibration needs to take into account the additional tire size plus that 2” or so from the kit.

I went up to 32” tires so I believe my vehicle should end up 3-3 1/2” higher when measured from the ground. 1” from the tire plus the additional SYA kit height.

If I’m not missing anything here that would have the struts at the same inflation level as without the kit.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Isn’t the calibration from the center of the wheel or something like that? Sorry I’m still not comprehending this process completely.
Calibration is from the center of the wheel hub to the top edge of the fender flare. So it really doesn't matter what tire size you have. What matters is the travel length of the air strut. With the 2" SYA kit, you're actually reducing 2" from your calculations.

For instance, if you have 2" or less lift rods (or oem), calibration is impossible to do as it sits at oem height 100% of the time. If you have 2.5" lift rods, you can now simply calibrate the suspension by adding (air) 0.5" to each corner. The 2.5" lift rods is reduced by the 2" SYA kit and nets a positive 0.5" to each corner. This is used for calculating the amount of air required to put each corner up 0.5". Again, if the SYA kit rests at oem height, 0 (zero) air will be added to each corner and you're essentially driving on bump stops.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is where I keep getting confused. If you're calibrating by measuring from center of the wheel hub to the fender flare, why do the sensor rod lengths matter?

Just for a number to work with lets say the stock measurement is 400mm. If you add the 2" SYA kit that adds apx 51mm. Calibrate at 451mm and you should be at stock inflation levels, correct?

Tnt47

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all.

When I said I'd love to bring it up there and make it through I don't think Ill actually try it, I'm pretty sure I'd have to make it crap to drive to make it capable enough. Though it is still tempting... I've been going every year since 2002 so I'm very familiar with the terrain. It would do well on 90% but that last 10% would suck. All the vehicles my friends bring (95% jeeps) are on 35-37' tires, there is a samurai on 33's that is awesome though.

I've read that thread from the guys that did it, stacking rocks all day is not my idea of fun.

The reason I'm looking at the bump stop kit is to maintain the ability to move the vehicle in the case of an air suspension failure, with 32's you would drop the fenders onto the tires and not be able to roll. The bump stop kit prevents that.

I'll check the Arnott struts out, my shop said they were $600 each but maybe they meant a pair. If I'm going to remove all 4 to get the spacers in place I may as well just replace all of them. I'll have them check the valve blocks as well.

Someday I'll probably make the change to 18" wheels but with all the money I'm laying out on this I just can't justify it now. I am currently at $3800 spent so far this year and it's only February, that is before doing the struts. Fan assembly, radiator, mass airflow sensor and purge valve done in January. At least that stupid tick, tick, tick noise is finally gone!

What was making the tick, tick, tick noise?! I have a 2011 LR4 making that noise, on start up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV