New Recall Alert : Fuel System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the NHTSA summary of the required 573 Safety Recall Report as submitted by JLR. It sheds a little more light on things.
There's also a NHTSA acknowledgment letter to JLR posted on the site.

In sum:
Vehicles built at Solihull UK 4/27/2009 to 8/30/2016.
Vehicle 1- 2010-2013 RRS production dates 4/27/09 to 5/05/13
Vehicle 2- 2010-2016 LR4 production dates 5/12/09 to 8/30/16
The VIN range given encompasses both vehicles and runs sequential. (potential 111,746 vehicles).

My 2016 was built at Solihull UK in 03/2016 and it's VIN falls within the range given (1,653 short of the last), and nothing shows when I input it.
I've been smelling gas at times (and not seeing a leak) for longer than I want to admit, and I can elaborate on the circumstances if it might help. I'm definitely relieved, but now I might 'wince' a little more each time as I hit 'start'...until it's repaired...and it will be.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LB Bill - I see you are in California. In case you didn’t know, the California emissions warranty covers a lot of the fuel supply, exhaust, and some engine components up to 70K miles (listed in back of warranty). Covers fuel pumps, injectors, tank, evap system, etc, including parts, labor and diagnostics. I’ve never tried to use it, so not sure what’s involved. But when you get to this repair, have them check your fuel pressure. I’ve seen some comments that lead me to think the LP pumps are having some issues. They’ll be right there doing it, and it should be covered if you’re under 70K.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well dang, my vin doesn't fall into that range either (SALAG). I wonder how strict they'll be on vins or if they'll expand the range at some point. No issues so far, so that's good.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jlglr4 - Yes! The CA emissions warranty was going to be my approach to taking care of the problem until this recall (thankfully) surfaced. Mine has 15k miles, but the basic warranty has obviously timed-out. Haven't smelled gas lately, but have only been driving it around town. The times that I definitely smelled gas have been during longer round-trips on the freeway for outings that also involved some raising and lowering of the suspension (moving van and off-roading...no fill-up's along the way). 'Out of smell, out of mind' is not a good reason to have put it off, but at least now it won't come back in the same condition with 'cannot duplicate' on the paperwork.
Thanks for the suggestion on the LP pump. It appears that the 'access cover/flange/o-ring', which seems to be the prime suspect, is basically one assembly with the pump and a filter. I'll make sure that those are checked out as well.

cannondale900

Reaction score
@LB Bill - I see you are in California. In case you didn’t know, the California emissions warranty covers a lot of the fuel supply, exhaust, and some engine components up to 70K miles (listed in back of warranty). Covers fuel pumps, injectors, tank, evap system, etc, including parts, labor and diagnostics. I’ve never tried to use it, so not sure what’s involved. But when you get to this repair, have them check your fuel pressure. I’ve seen some comments that lead me to think the LP pumps are having some issues. They’ll be right there doing it, and it should be covered if you’re under 70K.
I have a Solihull built 2015 LR4 HSE Lux (with HD) with 91k miles that I believe falls within the range stated above. I have not been smelling fuel from the LR4 but have recently received the P2187/P2189 codes and it is NOT the PCV diaphragm. I'm going to smoke test for leaks in the valve cover this week; however, I have also read that the fuel pump assy in the tank can cause these codes.....not sure how common an issue this really is. I'm starting to think I should just have the fuel pump changed at the same time while they are already in there......provided this recall materializes.

TXLR4

Reaction score
Following. I just got my 2013 LR4 back from the dealer for this EXACT issue. Ticket says fuel tank cap/flange and tank seal. $1,700 so I'd love to get refunded for this one.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following. I just got my 2013 LR4 back from the dealer for this EXACT issue. Ticket says fuel tank cap/flange and tank seal. $1,700 so I'd love to get refunded for this one.
was your vin listed when they looked it up?

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think I should just have the fuel pump changed at the same time while they are already in there......provided this recall materializes.
Same here, but I don't want to pay LR 'retail $'s for it. I'm due for an oil change, so I'm thinking I will have my indy shop do it this time and ask him to also check the LP fuel pump pressure, if there's an easy way. I've seen some vids indicating that there is a Schrader valve on the fuel line in the engine compartment before the HP pumps. Guess as a bleed/air release..and/or check the pressure?
The fuel tank flange recall is happening, it's officially submitted to NHTSA it just hasn't 'matured' yet. JLR not sending out letters to owners until on or about Oct.8.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA