New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How were your Cooper's this past winter in the snow on the streets? I'm in Utah too, don't get off road much but want a tire that's good on the roads but also good on the roads in our Utah winters when it dumps a few feet of snow. What do you think my best tire option is, 255 55 19?
Hi Wusty,

I spend my time between CA and UT and I do not typically have my LR4 when I am in UT. I have not been there yet with my 2013, but in my 2011 - was there once - and the Coopers did well in a small bit of packed snow. I don't think they are the best winter-type tires, as other folks in snowy climates may be able to better guide you. We have a Tahoe and a pick-up truck in UT - stays on road (pavement and gravel roads).

Where are you in UT? We are actually closer to St. George and the AZ border.

-David

Wusty

Reaction score
Hi Wusty,

I spend my time between CA and UT and I do not typically have my LR4 when I am in UT. I have not been there yet with my 2013, but in my 2011 - was there once - and the Coopers did well in a small bit of packed snow. I don't think they are the best winter-type tires, as other folks in snowy climates may be able to better guide you. We have a Tahoe and a pick-up truck in UT - stays on road (pavement and gravel roads).

Where are you in UT? We are actually closer to St. George and the AZ border.

-David

I'm the the SLC area. Just in the past few hours I made my mind up that I'm going to buy winters and summer tires. Bridgestone just released their Blizzak in a 255/55/19. I've run Blizzaks on my past 3 Audi S4's in the winters and they're BEAST so that's the route I'm gonna go. As they say, A/T tires are a jack of all trades but a master of none. I'll probably get the Bridgestone Dueller's for the summer, they seem like a decent highway tire for the dry and especially for the price point. Should be decent on getting up in the mountains for some periodic dirt/rock trails. No mudding for me unfortunately.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm the the SLC area. Just in the past few hours I made my mind up that I'm going to buy winters and summer tires. Bridgestone just released their Blizzak in a 255/55/19. I've run Blizzaks on my past 3 Audi S4's in the winters and they're BEAST so that's the route I'm gonna go. As they say, A/T tires are a jack of all trades but a master of none. I'll probably get the Bridgestone Dueller's for the summer, they seem like a decent highway tire for the dry and especially for the price point. Should be decent on getting up in the mountains for some periodic dirt/rock trails. No mudding for me unfortunately.
That sounds like a great compromise. If you know exactly the terrain in which you plan to drive, I'd definitely go that route. Looking forward to hearing how you like the set up.

I love it up north of SLC - such a different terrain and landscape than down in the south.

-David

Wusty

Reaction score
That sounds like a great compromise. If you know exactly the terrain in which you plan to drive, I'd definitely go that route. Looking forward to hearing how you like the set up.

I love it up north of SLC - such a different terrain and landscape than down in the south.

-David

I'm now really tempted to stick with doing the Blizzak's for the winter and then the Cooper Zeon LTZ's as my All season. I don't get off road to much but think they look rad. Or they a good highway tire, fairly low noise compared to the stock Conti's?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering myself which route to take.

Move to 18" wheels which opens up the field in terms of tires or stick with the stock 19s and have to sets of tires.

I started reading reviews and most people give really good snow and ice reviews to the LTZ... Would it be the only tire I need?

We often drive to Quebec (mainly for the extra snow you get there) and in less than 10 months we'll be living in Albuquerque NM for a year...

What to do?

LTZ seems to be the cheapest and most logical route but is it really???

Wusty

Reaction score
I've been wondering myself which route to take.

Move to 18" wheels which opens up the field in terms of tires or stick with the stock 19s and have to sets of tires.

I started reading reviews and most people give really good snow and ice reviews to the LTZ... Would it be the only tire I need?

We often drive to Quebec (mainly for the extra snow you get there) and in less than 10 months we'll be living in Albuquerque NM for a year...

What to do?

LTZ seems to be the cheapest and most logical route but is it really???

Where did you read that it got good snow reviews? I read that it wasn't to hot in the snow which is why I'm opting for Blizzaks for the winter since I'm in the snow a lot. I'd love to only have 1 tire and if the LTZ's get good snow reviews, maybe I'll consider not having 2 sets of tires.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm now really tempted to stick with doing the Blizzak's for the winter and then the Cooper Zeon LTZ's as my All season. I don't get off road to much but think they look rad. Or they a good highway tire, fairly low noise compared to the stock Conti's?
The Coopers are pretty quiet on the highway, but I noticed after about 5,000 miles they do have a little bit of hum at high speeds (over 80mph). It's very faint and barely noticeable, but there is a tiny bit of noise. I think having two sets is probably a good idea, especially up in your neck of the woods.

I am looking into getting the Compomotives and then I will keep my 19" wheels and Cooper tires just in case.

-David

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you read that it got good snow reviews? I read that it wasn't to hot in the snow which is why I'm opting for Blizzaks for the winter since I'm in the snow a lot. I'd love to only have 1 tire and if the LTZ's get good snow reviews, maybe I'll consider not having 2 sets of tires.

Hey Wusty,

I read good snow reviews on Tread Depot.
Only a couple reviewers are bashing the LTZ.
http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/90000003469.html

Most people on this forum seem to be happy with it and on the Australian LR Owner forum, everybody is raving about it...

Let me know your thoughts.

Axel

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So good to see the blizzaks. I'm going to go two sets of rims and order them now for winter.

Anyone have a reference on tires for 20" rims? What sizes folks have tried?

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this before...don't know how the Nitto's do in real world applications, but love the look!

Saw this pop up on ebay...wondering if it's running rods and/or spacers?

Those are Nitto Grapplers at 265-50-20..wondering about rubbing issues. Tons of photo's but no description of rods, spacers or suspension mods. Maybe it's just the offset of the wheels but it looks like there are spacers.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Load...-/111118631828?forcev4exp=true#ht_7441wt_1182

Attachments

• lr4.jpg
    lr4.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 52
  • lr42.jpg
    lr42.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member