New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I'm going to contact LR Hanover and find out how much they charge for install and balancing.

Tirerack also has a list of "locally approved" shops for installing tires based on your zip code. I used this in the past with mixed results, sometimes the cheapest is not the best, but when I checked the shops out ahead of time I found a good one with road-force balancer and good wheel machine!

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR Hanover quotes me $990 for 4 Blizzak DM V1 including installation, etc.
They have a promotion until the end of the month offering an alignment... But it won't be cold enough for winter tires.
They'll charge me 190 just for installation if I bring my own tires.

Firestone (downtown Boston) charges 150 for installation...

Thinking gonna get the LR offer of they can honor the promotion in mid November.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 is actually designed for LR4 weight, and seems well engineered, especially for maintaining snow/ice traction as the tire wears down. After a fair bit of research, I had them installed today.

Price was $231/tire including mount & balance at Interwest Tire Factory.

My "summer" tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza which perform remarkably "not bad" in snow, but become snowpacked pretty easily. Our second snowstorm of the season is predicted for next week, so probably I'll get to test the new R2's soon. So far, on pavement and dirt, they are quiet and feel great.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 is actually designed for LR4 weight, and seems well engineered, especially for maintaining snow/ice traction as the tire wears down. After a fair bit of research, I had them installed today.

My "summer" tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza which perform remarkably "not bad" in snow, but become snowpacked pretty easily. Our second snowstorm of the season is predicted for next week, so probably I'll get to test the new R2's soon. So far, on pavement and dirt, they are quiet and feel great.
Second snowstorm!

I love Montana. Keep us posted about the tires. As you may have seen in another thread, I went with the 18" Compomotives with BF Goodrich A/T KO tires. I saved my stock 19" wheels and will likely put a dedicated snow tire on those wheels later on when I move.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After snowy winter with Nokian Hakkapelitta R2...

So now it is spring (meaning only bi-weekly snowstorms) in Bozeman and I swapped back to the Bridgestone tires. After a heavy snow winter, I can report that the Hak R2 performs great in snow (sort of takes the fun out of those power slides). However, MPG dropped from steady 17+ with the Bridgestone Alenza to 15+ with the Hak (FWIW). Of course having Rocket Box on top for skis all winter is part of that.

The Bridgestone Alenza perform remarkably well in snow and quite well on the highway, but clog up pretty quickly. Hakkapeliitta R2 are certainly much better for clearing snow, and softer compound performs great on ice / snowpack. For a dedicated snow tire, I would strongly recommend the Hakkapeliitta R2. For occasional use (ie going skiing on weekends) I think the Bridgestone Alenza handles just fine matched to LR4's remarkable traction control system.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112