New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wusty

Reaction score
AxelR, on my previous Audis I ran the Dunlop 3D winter tires as well. Good in snow and decent dry handling as well. But for the LR4, the issue isn't handling or traction to get going. It's all about stopping and turning this heavy vehicle on ice & slush. From what I was told and I agree from my experience, Nokian winter tires are the best because they retain their winter tire qualities as they wear. Other brands become more like all-season tires as they wear. Now that I'm on my second set of Nokian winter tires on our LR3, I can't imagine buying any other winter tire. I was able to get 3 winters out of a set while driving about 8000 miles per winter due to weekend ski trips. And I probably could have gotten another winter out of the last set before they were down to the wear bars.

Wow, this is very, very good information. I had no idea. After just researching these new R2 Nokian's, they seem amazing. Hmm, I'm highly considering them now. Thanks for the info.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AxelR, on my previous Audis I ran the Dunlop 3D winter tires as well. Good in snow and decent dry handling as well. But for the LR4, the issue isn't handling or traction to get going. It's all about stopping and turning this heavy vehicle on ice & slush. From what I was told and I agree from my experience, Nokian winter tires are the best because they retain their winter tire qualities as they wear. Other brands become more like all-season tires as they wear. Now that I'm on my second set of Nokian winter tires on our LR3, I can't imagine buying any other winter tire. I was able to get 3 winters out of a set while driving about 8000 miles per winter due to weekend ski trips. And I probably could have gotten another winter out of the last set before they were down to the wear bars.

Thank you Paul.

I'm going to contact Kenwood Tire in Bridgewater. I'll ask for their opinion as well.

As I have already mentioned, I was born in Helsinki, Finalnd and would be very inclined to get a set of Finnish engineered winter tires from Nokian.

How much did they quote you for the R2 set? You mentioned that it included mounting and balancing as well.

I live in Cambridge so I'm not too far from Bridgewater.

Axel

Wusty

Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah, those Nokian's look really nice. I think I'm going to give them a shot even though they're more money. It's funny how many times I've changed my mind on tires but these Nokian's really do look impressive.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah, those Nokian's look really nice. I think I'm going to give them a shot even though they're more money. It's funny how many times I've changed my mind on tires but these Nokian's really do look impressive.

Yes it's funny. I feel the same about these winter tires.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the R2's back on tax free weekend in August. I think the total was right around $1000. Check Nokian's website, there may be a Nokian dealer closer to Cambridge.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the R2's back on tax free weekend in August. I think the total was right around $1000. Check Nokian's website, there may be a Nokian dealer closer to Cambridge.

Yes there are a few around here. I might get them in Nashua (tax free NH).
Thank you

LR34

Reaction score

Nokian has a new tire that you might want to check out, the Nokian WR SUV 3. I read about it earlier this year and have been waiting for it to come out. Hopefully there will be some reviews soon.

From the Nokian website:
"The new Nokian WR SUV 3 high-performance winter tyre is the test winner in the comprehensive SUV winter tyre test 2013 of German SUV magazine „OFF ROAD“, receiving the top mark “very recommended”. Its “strength: The performance on snow and ice is outstanding, absolutely convincing on asphalt.” Germany’s leading magazine for four-wheel drive, off road and SUV states: “Nokian: Unbeatable on ice and snow” and “very neutral.”

New Nokian WR SUV 3 high-performance SUV tyre feels at home in the varying European winter conditions, and it has excellent winter grip and driving response. The Nokian WR SUV 3 winter tyre resists effectively slush planing and aquaplaning and reliably masters all of the surprises that winter has in store. It rolls lightly and retains its balance on snow, slush, and dry roads alike."

http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=32756177&group=2.01&name=Nokian WR SUV 3

Wusty

Reaction score
It snowed on the tops of the mountains today above 8,000 feet. Winter is coming! I can't wait to get winter tires installed to go thrash the streets!

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It snowed on the tops of the mountains today above 8,000 feet. Winter is coming! I can't wait to get winter tires installed to go thrash the streets!

Does sound like fun. Same here.
Still haven't made up my mind as far as which brand to get.
I'm starting to lean towards the blizzaks because of the fact that they are more square looking and therefore most likely offer better grip when turning in snow...

Wusty

Reaction score
Does sound like fun. Same here.
Still haven't made up my mind as far as which brand to get.
I'm starting to lean towards the blizzaks because of the fact that they are more square looking and therefore most likely offer better grip when turning in snow...

As it stands at this very moment (ha ha, it changes every second) I'm going with the Blizzaks as well. I get a really good deal on them from my local shop and they can't barter at all on the Nokian's plus I've read nothing but good about them. I'll have them on for 4 months a year and only put about 700 miles a month on them during those months so they should last a while :biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635