Newbie test driving and hoping to join the club soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waikylam

Reaction score
Hi all,
been lerking about for some time now. I've gotten a ton of info from friends who have an 06' HSE, 07' SE, and PaulLR3 (thanks!). wasn't planning on making the jump until next year but thought that an 08' LR3 HSE might be ripe for the picking considering its the end of year. Like PaulLR3 my wife currently is in allroad and although its been bullet proof *knock-on-wood* we need more space and I'd like to do more ******** off-roading as the boys (3 and 1) get older.

the one i am looking at has 79k and listed for $24k, what's a reasonable price

i believe it has locking diffs, how do i know for sure? I see in the center console on the left toggle at the bottom has a "lock symbol" is that it?

I plan to have an independent take a look at it and also test the suspension to make sure the compressor is strong.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

btw, any recommendations on indy's out Seattle area? I am currently going to indy that specializes in european cars and they said they do Land Rovers also, but that's doesn't give me any peace of mind that they know what they are doing.

metalslug

Reaction score
From my exprience:

On your test drive, take it to a bumpy road and hear for any noises. Knocking noise could be due to worn bushings in the front suspension control arms or front/rear swaybars. It's a known issue with our cars. I had my front suspension control arms bushings and front swaybar bushing replaced when I had third party warranty.

Check the dash display for faults, primarily HDC faults. The recent HDC fault error (At 70k Miles) I had disabled all 4x4 features and lowered car by default. People will say to replace the battery or brake light switch as less expensive troubleshooting alternatives. My issue at the end turned out to be a bad rear lock diff motor which recently cost me 900 dollars to replace (Expired Third Party Warranty).

Must have with your puchase is a warranty and make sure it covers a good amount of things and not just the motor.

Other then that they are great cars and serve a lot of purpose if you are an outdoors kinda guy.

Thanks,

Last edited:

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 to the above.

That lock icon is just for locking the suspension at access height.

If it has the locker, it'll have a full size spare tire (matching wheel) so check for that. That would mean it has the HD package- rare, but awesome to find but not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it IMO.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an Land Rover specific indy shop in the U District. I don't remember the name but it shoudln't be hard to find. A buddy of mine uses them.

waikylam

Reaction score
thanks for all the input. I tried last week to test drive the 08' but after going to the LR dealership in Bellevue and waiting around for 30 minutes for them to find the LR3, They realize it wasn't available for a test drive. sad cause i spoke to the internet manager on the phone and he said the car was ready for test drive. I've purchase high end cars in the past and this is the worst service i've seen. he's called me 3-4 times since but i just felt that he didn't seem to care that i came in to test drive and he couldn't find any for me to try. I'll test drive and buy from someone else.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 07 HSE with rear locker and 55k miles in Sep 2012 for $22k, but I knew it needed tires, alternator and compressor ($2.5k). So that price you mention is not ridiculous.

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
warranty is a total rip off, they wanted 7k for mine! LOL! not for me since i only drive like 7500 miles a year

waikylam

Reaction score
Sonies, thanks for you feedback. My plan is to find a well cared for LR3 and have my indy check it out. i am not to worried about a warranty unless it happens to be a great price for a CPO. I am not scared of wrenching and have good friends that are willing to help. My search continues since i've seen a few HSE's in either 07 or 08, but not that were either well cared for or willing to let me take to my indy to inspect. that's a sure sign they are trying to hide something. thanks again and hope to join the club soon.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4