Nightmare Gulch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the great pleasure of running my LR3 through Nightmare Gulch with SCLR.org. We had a diverse collection of Rovers, from a 1957 Series II, to a 1970's Defender 130, the usual assortment of D90's, Disco's, Classics's, and two LR3's.

http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=41

It was a great trip!
117329462-M.jpg

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW that looks like great fun Nathan !! Thanks for posting ,although I'm green with envy :smile: . I am planning to go to the LR national rally in August and do a proper off road break in of my LR3 and me :cool: Hope to see you there.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year

John in NE Ohio

D

dry_fly

Nathan, Great pic's, I gotta say you have one beautiful truck! Nightmare gulch looks amazing, how long did it take for you guys to get there? How did the nitto's perform... what psi were you running?

Cheers!
Charles

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the freeway I run the Nitto's at 42 in the rear, 38 in the front. In dirt and rocks like this trail, I run all 4 around 24-26 PSI. In sand, I air way down to 15 PSI. The Nittos run great. My buddy in the silver LR3 was still at 38 PSI and couldn't make the last hill climb, partially because he lost momentum by going slow in exactly the wrong spot, and partly because he was aired up too much.

The Nitto's perform great on the trail, and are hands down the best wet road/heavy rain tire I have ever used. My LR3 is the most amazing car to drive in the rain than any other car I have ever owned. Their wear is okay, not quite as durable as BFG's, but not bad either. I have 20,000 miles on mine, and it looks like I will get at least another 15,000 out of them. However, they do "chunk out" a bit.

We got to the trail head a bit after 11 AM, and exited the Gulch around 3:30 or so. Pretty big group (13 trucks) so we divided it into two and just took our time.

Reaction score
Hey Nathan,
Looks like a great run. Nice to see a second LR3 out with you guys. One day we might be able to get enough of us together in one place to do an all LR3 run. It seem to be we are still a novelty on the trails. Take care and keep posting! I am out of commission until my truck is repaired (got T-***** by a cab here in Vancouver) UG!!!

Cheers & Merry Christmas buddy!

PS: any word on availabilty of the sliders? I like you design since it would help keep tree branches from further pinstriping my door in the tight treed trails we have up here. Email me when you have some info.

D

dry_fly

thanks nathan! I'm definitely leaning towards the Nitto's given your endorsement. Infact you should copy your posts & send it to them for a new set? Were you also able to fit a nitto on the under car spare?

Cheers!
CT

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Nitto will fit, but you need to air it down quite a bit. Once in, you can air back up again and gravity will help you get it down, but I usually keep my full size spare inside the car because when I'm going to need it (on some trail somewhere), it is doubtful that it will be accessible under the car. I have the spacesaver spare under there now.

D

dry_fly

very good point oh masterful one... grasshopper is still learning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo