Noise Hunting - after turning off engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beltwaybandit

Reaction score
Clutch Fork

I drove the car up to my local LR dealer one afternoon and found the sales associate who we worked with when we bought my wife's LR2. He agreed to pull someone out of the shop and have them listen to it no charge. I drove the car around and prepped him for what he was listening for, shut off the engine and watched. He jumped as if startled, stood up and said he had never heard anything like that before. What followed was a parade of techs listening to the noise until we got to their lead mechanic. Who said - 'I've never heard it that loud but I think it's the clutch fork.' Apparently when the LR3 shuts down the transfer case shuttles the clutch through it's range of motion. The clutch gets stuck - issues an error to the ECM log and then calls it a day. What we are hearing is the clutch finally going 'home.' Not sure if it's a relay holding it in place and the voltage finally drops out or if it's all mechanical/spring but the snap we are hearing is related.

I have not had it fixed. Since I purchased the truck used with 103K I expect that I'll need to do repairs/maintenance. It still goes in and out of Low Range easily enough so I can't see spending money to have it repaired and hunt down the culprit. The next item on the preventative maintenance list is to have all the differential and transfer case fluids changed.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you please take an audio clip of it and then upload it here? I would love to hear it so that if I ever encounter it, I'll recognize the sound. Thanks in advance.

beltwaybandit

Reaction score
Check prior posts

If you look earlier in this thread, I've posted a .zip file with the sound (I think it's the 4th post.)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right! Ha....I'd even listened to it! Sorry, my bad...

CoopLR3

Reaction score
I started having the "click-clunk after shutdown" issue today. Any resolution Emmanuel or Beltway?

quartzsand

Reaction score
I had my 05LR3 (150k miles) rear dif AND transfer case changed with warranteed used parts (the dealer advised it and echoed by local shop which did the repair). Since the repair it is making that same metallic clunk 3 seconds after shut down which is described in this thread- that spring releasing on metal sound -without the softer last metallic sound on the recording. I see two causes mentioned on this thread. Clutch fork vs electronic locker... It sounds like the latter might send an error code to the ECM that the mechanics could read? Is that true? Would it follow that if there are no codes the locker needs IID calibration?

Since the repair the LR also continues to make a popping sound when placed into park and also when slowing after lifting foot off accelerator- this Is new since the replacement of rear did and transfer case. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? I think I have two issues here, will see if having it recalibrated helps the sound, and appreciate any thoughts or guidance.

Stephanie Cook

Reaction score
hello i have a 2008 range rover sport hse that is doing the same thing. can you please tell me what resolved your issue? my mechanic wants 600$ to guess at the problem which he says is the transmission case module and actuator will need replacing.

BigZ

Reaction score
Same exact sound I'm having on my LR3. I assumed it was the rear locker motor. a few months ago I had a warning appear after a fast take off, can't remember the dash warning other than pull over asap. pulled over, turned off, plugged in my iid gap tool, reset the codes, drove like normal. Later after getting home I ran the rear locker motor calibration/test. I've had zero issues since that day but still have the click/clack sounds after turning it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV