non-decorative-capped lugnut availability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to keep a few lugnuts that don't have a decorative cap that can be damaged on hand. It seems the stock ones suffer from being deformed if the socket isn't placed on them perfectly, which then makes it harder to place the socket properly, slowly making it less and less likely you'll be able to get the lugs off in case of a flat. So I'm looking for alternatives - Lucky8 had a listing where the picture seemed to show a single piece closed lugnut, but apparently these have the decorative cap on them too.

Anyone know of a source of one-piece (in addition to the washer) lugnuts that work with OEM wheels?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think some people run Gorilla nuts.

These are black ones, but I'm pretty sure silver ones are available. I'm not 100% certain these work on an LR4, but I think they do.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @ryanjl . Can anyone confirm the correct part number from gorilla nuts from experience ?
Based on the above post I purchased those exact Gorilla nuts on eBay (I followed the link) just three days ago and they are an exact fit for my 20" 10 spoke wheels (photo attached). I also have the 19" wheels that came stock and are currently on the car but I have to assume they use the same lug design. They have to be a mag seat design (with the washer), not spherical or cone. I also received them in record time for an eBay purchase which was like 2 days. The only negative is all 20 arrived loosely in a box without any internal wrapping or protection. They were all hitting each other. I haven't looked at all of them yet for any chips or scratches but I can't believe Gorilla manufactures and packages them that way. Ones I've purchased in the past from Gorilla were all individually packaged in sets of 5 in those impossible to open plastic containers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 4.38.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 4.38.50 AM.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 35

pantalones

Reaction score
I purchased a set of chrome Gorilla lug nuts off eBay from seller "tuneshop" (item #181000940211) and they are solid lug nuts with no cap. They have been installed for 6 months now and I haven't had any issues, would definitely recommend over the OEM ones. I replaced several OEM lug nuts due to swelling and decided that I don't want to risk being stuck remotely and not being able to remove a wheel due to a swollen lug nut.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What seems to be the problem with stainless capped OEM lug nuts? Reson asking I have mint original capped nuts 22 years 3 months with zero issues with a six point not 12 point socket removing and torquing to spec.
Only additional thing starting with 1,000 grit to 1,500, 2000 then 3000 grit sanding the cap ends to a chrome finish which adds a little shine vs dull stamped production caps. Also added a gasket material disc inserted into the socket to prevent marking up the now chromed cap ends finish. No dropping nuts when after removal, kept separated while removed.

What's the end cap chrome surface look like on those one piece nuts with a crappy general finish and or dinged up?

JMO, if so i'd order black, remove the finish, debur and buff the ends then nickel plate them. Nickel color vs chrome besides I have a plating system from a past project of 45 plus years ago. No chipping chrome fron cheap two step chrome process vs three layer chrome plating......~~=o&o>.....

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the misfortune of having a monkey work on the wheels, the cap can get deformed such that the socket won't fit all the way to the shoulder. From then on, the cap gets increasingly damaged each time it is used. Throw in lug nuts torqued to well beyond the specs, enough so that my air impact wrench could not break them free, and you have a recipe for being stranded if you get a flat. Eventually the cap can spin independently from the nut underneath. I had to use my mallet to hammer the impact socket onto the nut in order to remove a few of them. Removing the socket afterward was a challenge, to say the least, and the nut was at that point no longer fit for purpose. I ended up breaking all 20 loose and torquing them to spec, with 5 turning into paper weights. Didn't think of looking for single piece ones until more recently, and spent $72 at the local JLR dealer for a set of 5 - didn't want to drive around with 4 nuts per wheel. I have a few now where my 6-point impact socket won't fit, but my 12-point non-impact will, so I'm trying to plan ahead and have a few nuts on hand.

Lakeranger

Reaction score
See Amazon:

Set of 20 Eisen Chrome OEM Factory Style Lug Nuts Compatible with Stock Wheels Land Range Rover HSE Sport LR3 LR4​

Brand: Eisen Performance

I have now had these on my Range Rover L322 Super Charged for a few years with absolutely no issues. They are solid nuts with no cap. Also they are less than $40.00.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuffant sells solid lug nuts as well.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those Tuffant ones are conical seat, so won't work with OEM wheels from the look of things.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA