OEM Hitch Receiver Pin doesn't seem to be engaging all the way?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah good idea. I'll give that a shot. Although I'm beginning to think its working correctly and that's just how everyone's is. I hate to buy a new hitch only to find out its doing exactly the same thing.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely don't need a new hitch. These can rebuilt easily if you determine there's something wrong inside.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
I bought the same hitch second hand had the exact problem, I don’t remember what I did to get it to catch but I will give it a shot this morning and let you know the trick.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the same hitch second hand had the exact problem, I don’t remember what I did to get it to catch but I will give it a shot this morning and let you know the trick.

Definitely interested to hear what you did.

I'm thinking its operating normally though because the green handle snaps into place and you can't see the orange inner any longer.

buzzracer

Reaction score
I dealt with this very same issue for years on my 2010 LR4 and also now my 2015. Took it apart and rebuilt several times but issue resurfaced often. Frankly became a major PIA. And I couldn't see spending $500+ to get a new one which would eventually do same. I came across an aftermarket replacement hitch and permanent fix a couple of years ago, and have never looked back. Best part, it's only $150.
https://www.roverparts.com/exterior-accessories/tow-hitches-accessories/LR019990ABP/
FYI, I tow my 18' boat and also a 25' aluminum race trailer with 2900# race car, tools and spares with absolutely no issues.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you measure the height of the little “window” in the frame I think you will find that it will only accept about half the taper of the bolt from the hitch. That bolt is spring-loaded and held in by the ratcheting action of the locked hitch.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you measure the height of the little “window” in the frame I think you will find that it will only accept about half the taper of the bolt from the hitch. That bolt is spring-loaded and held in by the ratcheting action of the locked hitch.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. That seems to be exactly what's happening. It almost seems as if the "window" is a fraction of an inch too high, not allowing the pin to extend fully.

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard that the old design hitch style could crack. The new design hitch is much more robust. Haven’t heard about any problems with the new design. Also it’s rated for 7700 lbs and has a 770lb hitch rating. I tow a 1972 airstream with my LR3 using the stubby hitch receiver and haven’t had any problems, so far :). I had a bolt on receiver and it would get loose all the time, paint would peel off which would lead to rust and the tow limit was pretty low compared to the oem hitch. 500 hitch, 5000 tow capacity.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you could take the key out if it wasn't working correctly. I am having a different (I think) problem and that is when I put my hitch in, the little release pin doesn't quite connect with the metal above it to do its releasing of the big pin, like by a mm or 2. My solution was to ball up a tiny piece of tin foil and put it on the pin like a little hat o_O and it actually worked. Very technical stuff, LOL. And the dumbest hitch design ever.

PWD2

Reaction score
Clean out the whole area where the receiver goes, especially the hole where the main pin engages in to with a bit of emery/sand paper. Spray the whole area including hole with lube. Take just the LR receiver and line it up square in the mount and firmly push it up to engage. Using your finger feel you should feel it has completely engaged.

Cleaning it out beforehand should remove any potential obstruction and lubricating it should give the best chance of seating properly and completely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72