OEM LR side protection tubes VTD500010

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much protection do they actually provide? I, too, am a bit concerned about the weight and install for the Tactical 4x4s. Are they likely to just bend up into the body anyway if you ease down onto a shelf that your underestimated? Or rub up against a short boulder along the side of the trail? I'm less concerned about looks, more concerned about functionality. I don't need steps. More interested in trying to balance weight vs protection.

They are pretty beefy and sturdy so they are going to provide some protection, but after extended abuse they will most likely need to be replaced. I found a cheap used set so I'm not too concerned if I have to scrap them down the road.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha. I thought about this too with my wife. And to thwart future accidents I decided to not mention anything about it being a step as I'm worried she will trust it as such and biff it.

Regarding protection I'm not sure. I wouldn't want to rest the weight of the vehicle on a rock, but it may be ok rubbing up against something. The tubes themselves seem pretty strong it's the mounting that I think would be the weak point.

Edit
Though I like the tubes I still am not 100% positive I got the best choice. There just weren't enough options out there! I couldn't get attached to the oem steps. I like the look of a slider and tube, the functionality of a step, and the protection they provide. I like the low cost, low weight, and easy DIY install of the tube, that won out for me over the more expensive, heavier, and more difficult to install sliders. But who knows, I may end up with them some day :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo