Off Road Paint Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brokenneckcp

Reaction score
Let's face it... Land Rovers are luxury vehicles, especially the new ones. At the same time they are an off road beast. I just bought a 2011 LR4 HSE with Cold Climate and HD packages.... and of course I had to have Santorini Black.

Now to the question: When this beast gets off road in the next month or so, is there anything out there people are doing to protect the paint? An ideas I've heard is doing clear bra down the sides, but that's way too expensive unless you do it yourself (which from experience isn't that bad). Is there anything else out there that has an adhesive backing to it that can be pulled down the sides of the truck and then pulled off when the trip is over?

Obviously if someone were going to do something like this, the truck would need to be clean as a whistle to prevent minor scratches.

Ideas?

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have black and have gone off-roading a few times and must say the paint actually holds up very well with only very slight surface scratches from branches/shrubs...etc. the plastic trim by the windows is another story. they show scratches and I'm not sure if you can buff them out. I'm only keeping my off-roading to green trails and reminding myself that this is what this truck was built for every time I hear the branch go across the truck.

On a funny side note, I did run into another LR4 owner at a gas station after coming home from the trails with some dust/mud cover. He could not believe I would "do that" to my truck. I told him that LR's heritage was off-roading and he said, "I just like how manly they look." I asked if he would ever need to put in in 4x4 low for any driving that he does and he told me that he didn't know how. Even with the bad weather we had here in Dallas last winter, he said he tried to turn the knob but didn't know which to change it to and the car gave him a message that would not go away so he put it back to where it was. I ended up spending the next 15 minutes showing him how to use his truck...sadly, I think this is a large percentage of many LR/RR owners nowadays. The perception that they are rugged is what a lot of people care about even if the only "rock" their truck may crawl are speed bumps at the mall...but I digress.

Last edited:

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're worried about paint scratches I wouldn't take it off-road. You'll eventually end up with worse damage than paint scratches.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealership offered an application called "PermaPlate" so I had it added. It's supposed to offer some additional protection. We'll see how well it works in the coming months.

Marty

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear LR4 drivers,

Land Rover Guru does have a point…if you don’t want off road “love bites,” then don’t go off road.

That said, I spend a lot of time off-road, and want to provide a bit more protection for my exterior. There are some recent products to give auto enthusiasts a variety of choices for paint and windscreen protection. The jury is still out on these products as they are so new and untested (at least for the off-road market versus the race-track scene) that I have seen nothing useful regarding their effectiveness. Furthermore, as Land Rover Guru points out…most off-roaders want a few “rough edges” on their machines anyway. To wrap up one’s man machine in a plastic coverall (visions of trojans here come to mind...) detracts from the sporting nature of a mud-covered truck. Let’s face it: what kind of true warrior arrives without the scars of battle? In spite of this argument…I actually want to protect my exterior, so I have been doing some investigating in this area and will share what I have uncovered.

First, to answer the original question, I am pretty certain there are no temporary applications for paint protection (other than saran-wrapping your machine!) The products on the market are called “paint protection films” and have an expected lifespan of 5 years; thus they are semi-permanent in nature—apply and forget. I first ran across these applications in South Africa, and it was a 3M product. You can find out more about this family of “3M Paint Protection Film” products at their website. However, I have found their customer service unhelpful, and I don’t think one can apply 3M films outside an authorized dealer or distributor (meaning high cost). That probably explains why they have been unhelpful: I am a rather small fish in 3M’s global production. So I have had limited interested in the 3M films.

If you Google “Paint Protection Film,” you can learn more about the variety of other films and applications out there. For example, another company which manufactures such films is from the company XPEL, Homepage http://www.xpel.com/ and product line page http://www.xpel.com/products/default.asp ; they even have a “do-it-yourself” line of products, http://www.xpel.com/diy_paint_protection/ . I have recently purchased the DIY clear protection film for my doors and am going to “do it myself” and see what I think before purchasing full-size sheets to cover the bonnet/hood and other high risk areas. XPEL manufactures films to cover the entire LR4 body, but I do not know how difficult applying these films myself will be (here in Africa…there are no companies (outside South Africa) doing such work even if I was willing to pay the prices to "glue" the stuff on).

As I mentioned, there is also the possibility of windshield protection. One such company is Clear Plex, homepage http://www.clearplex.com/ . These products claim to add layered plastic protection to the windscreen glass. Again, I have seen no information whether these products work, but if they do actually protect the glass from flying object damage, then they will be worth the high cost (at least to me). I have already replaced my LR4’s windshield once from a large (nickel-sized) glass pit which started spider-webbing. It was made by a flying rock kicked up or fallen off a tractor-trailer on the Autobahn last summer (and that was from a European highway…not off road). That ended up being a $1200 job in Germany. In my opinion, it seems doubtful that such exterior glass applications will perform as advertised…but you never know. The military allegedly uses these film applications for its aircraft to protect the glass and the crews from the wide variety of flying objects they run into routinely. However, most people on other forums deny these windshield protection products even exist (they confuse them with the tinting films used in interior applications).

Currently, I am still in experimentation mode with the paint protection films and I am in observe mode with the exterior window protection films. No one can definitively prove the value of any of these expensive films, and there are no statistics out there to support any manufactures assertions to protect our vehicle exteriors. This is particularly true with off-road trucks where wear and damage is often going to be much more significant than in street cars (think tree limb thwacking your door and putting a hole in your vehicle verses some dude scraping his door by accident against your truck in the parking lot). For an example of the questionable utility of the film application, I had a large sheet metal garage door blow off its hinges here in Africa a few months ago and then came crashing down on the hood of my LR4. It dented the hood and scratched it up quite a bit. The plastic “hood wind deflector” [Part # LR006512] actually helped to break up most of the energy of the falling door, but there was still some pretty obvious minor damage. A visit to the dealer, however, buffed out all the scratches and now it is very hard to see the dent. Would paint protection film have done any better? To me that would seem doubtful, and this confirms the comments about the durability of the LR4 paint job and body…fortunately! If you opt for a custom-made external covering like rubber/plastic strap-on covering…that could be another story. But that may make your truck look like an executioner…or the gimp.

I don’t know anything about paint sealants like permapaint paint guard; one can view their products at http://permaplate.com/cms/index.php/products-paintguard.html to find out more. I am, however, suspect of anything using "the latest nano-technology" to give a 4X4 truck more protection.

To the group: If I ever get any results from my paint protection film experiment…I will add it my conclusion to this thread or another, but I imagine that will take quite some time. I hope others out there have some experience, knowledge, or information that they are willing to share.

Happy Driving,
Land Rover Joe

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is my firm biased believe that you are obligated to take any vehicle with a low-range off-road....

I always travel off-road with a maul-axe, anvil lopping shears, a machete, and a shovel. Yes, it is a pain to perform some "yard work" while on the trail, but it is an even bigger pain to explain the desert pinstripping on your wife's Rover and spending a couple of intimate hours with sanding paper (be brave) and a random orbital polisher. That said, I was able to remove all of the deep scratches on my LR3's paint before returning it in "perfect condition" (lease end), even where someone keyed me while parked at the Berkeley REI (shocker).

I used 3M film on my old Miata and Cayman to prevent "track rash" to good effect, but the film was noticeable. There is an old VW Vanagon that is completely "painted" in Rhino liner that is often parked where I surf, more for rust prevention than brush protection, I imagine. Way cool, but I wonder how much weight this adds.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Well.

We all qualify for a trip to the looney bin for having bought a $60k "luxury off-road" vehicle. It's a bit of an oxymoron, don't you think? Even with the loppers and axes and **** whackers, if you drive off road you're bound to get a scratch, and if you go regularly, probably a dent or two.

For those reading this who haven't bought their LR4 yet, consider getting one in a non-metallic paint color. It makes touching the paint up yourself so much easier. :wink:

What we really need instead of all those ****-bang coatings is something like this. :smile:

speed-racer-mach-5-replica.jpg

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a true temporary paint protection, I have applied a product from Griots Garage. It is like the "wrap" material but has adhesive and peels off with no residue. I applied it to the front of my LR4 before I went to Moab last time and the bugs sure peeled off from the trip. I could see it used for minor offroad protection. They say not to leave it on the truck for more than 5-7days I think.

Rob

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rover Guru’s,

Rhino Liner is a really great idea…I had never thought of that. Thanks for sharing the concept, there could be some applications-like you said, for rust prevention.

Also, I admit defeat: you have found the saran-wrap I never knew about—Griot’s Garages “Surface Protection Film Roll” at http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/77898.do . For $30.00, I might just buy a roll to see what happens when I go through some serious rough (mostly rocks, sand, and salt spray where I am at).

Very cool applications and great advice-thanks for the inputs!

And yes-agreed, looney.

Land Rover Joe

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Griots Garage Film protection stuff works well. It works great if your speed isn't 90mph on the insterstate for hours at a time. I found if even a little bit doesn't get seated well, it can peel off with high speeds. It won't completely come off, but it anything that does seperate will start to collect little bits of dust and dirt. Not exactally what you want your paint to keep getting hit with.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635