Off Road Paint Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Griots use to offer a spray on "Rhino-liner" type product, that I use to use on my Cayman while on the track - on top of the 3M (Yes, I'm paranoid, but I had too replace aluminum hoods on both my WRX and Miata due to stone dents while on track) Worked fabulous, and you literally peeled it off when you were done. It worked well against rocks, as it was basically a rubber cushion.

I imagine, however, that it was not the most environmentally friendly product; hence, I have not seen it listed on the site recently.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Griots use to offer a spray on "Rhino-liner" type product, that I use to use on my Cayman while on the track - on top of the 3M (Yes, I'm paranoid, but I had too replace aluminum hoods on both my WRX and Miata due to stone dents while on track) Worked fabulous, and you literally peeled it off when you were done. It worked well against rocks, as it was basically a rubber cushion.

I imagine, however, that it was not the most environmentally friendly product; hence, I have not seen it listed on the site recently.

I remember seeing that product on thier site and in the catalogs a few years ago. I never bought any of it, but sure thought about it more than a couple of times.

Rob

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those interested in films,

A brief update--Jeff, from XPEL, wrote me back about the feasibility of applying the films yourself:

"As for self-installation, I am pretty confident that you apply the film to the doors and achieve a quality appearance. The hood, fenders, grille and bumper may be a different story though. On a difficutly scale of 1-5, the full hood kit ranks in at a 5, and the bumper a 4. Anything over a level three difficulty I would STRONGLY suggest professional application, as it could turn into a real nightmare. Being that there are no distributors in your area, any installations performed would be “at your own risk” so to speak. You might consider contacting any vinyl or window film shops in your area to see if they have any experience with the product, as it my provide another option."

I ordered a DIY kit and will try it out on the lower quarter of my doors to see what I think. I also ordered the Griot's 7-day-and-throw-it-away film to test that out (for occasions when I will be off-road and tearing through the desert.)

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

brokenneckcp

Reaction score
All good suggestions. I'm curious to hear how the Griot's temporary wrap works against a tree branch or bush.

For those of you thinking of rhino lining a vehicle, my brothers are going to do their jeeps the first chance they get. It will add about 100 lbs (about 0.7lbs per square foot).

Anyone with an LR3 could rhino line (or linex) those plastic fenders

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was recently quoted $225.00 to 3M ClearBra the hood and both sides from the body line down. To me that's cheap insurance. As soon as I get a chance to make an appointment with the shop, I'll be there. Pictures will follow. I don't think it'll be "as noticeable" if it ends in the body line.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was recently quoted $225.00 to 3M ClearBra the hood and both sides from the body line down. To me that's cheap insurance. As soon as I get a chance to make an appointment with the shop, I'll be there. Pictures will follow. I don't think it'll be "as noticeable" if it ends in the body line.

Cheap! Great price.

holygrail

Reaction score
I had my LR4 clear-bra'ed 360 degrees when I first got it. The key is to get it done before your 1st scratch, ding, or chip.

I did my front bumper, fogs, headlights, 1/3 of top of the hood, side fenders, all four fender flares/wheel wells, both mirrors, and rear bumper, also to include both front windows tinted, a strip of limo tints across the top of windshield (so don't need to use sun-visors), and smoke tint for the rear tail-lights; ALL FOR $875. For the four doors, I installed the side plastic molds instead of clear-bra'ing it. I clear-bra'ed my BMW doors, and even after 4 yrs, still don't have a single scratch on the entire vehicle.

I had my LR4 for 16 months now, and not a single scratch or impact ding on the vehicle, just natural stone chips on the middle or top portion of hood.

Chris

ThePecker

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting my whole car clear bra'ed with 3M Venture shield. I was pretty adamant about the doors more than anything because there's some thick forest up in the northeast. I was quoted 3 grand...yikes.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting my whole car clear bra'ed with 3M Venture shield. I was pretty adamant about the doors more than anything because there's some thick forest up in the northeast. I was quoted 3 grand...yikes.
Wow! That's more than I expected.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99