Oh my... Disco II ATF fluid fill???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayavner

Reaction score
OK - so i WAS going to change the ATF and filter on my 2001 DII and, while I don't see that there is anything particularly blocking the little pan i would need to drop to replace the filter, i cannot see in any way where I might be able to pour more ATF in once its drained.

I know there is no dipstick/filler tube on these, so what to do??

I hate to be dense, but if anyone has a picture of the underside, with a couple of arrows 'shopped in, i'd be much obliged...

thanks,
adam

C

camper

Looks like there are few people to respond to technical problems. You need a filler funnel with a long hose or a pump style filler like they use in the garages.
I have an old style medal funnel with flexible tube that is about 3 feet long
and use it to fill tranny case. I know bmw zf trans might fit the fill plug on these but I am not sure what the tube would run into when you attach it to the pan. Maybe someone in the forum knows if they changed this in newer years so that you could purchase the tube and dip stick from rover.

ayavner

Reaction score
whiskeynipple said:
this may help:
http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/transmission_automatic_fluid_level.cfm

I had a toyota I had to fill from under the vehicle (manual) - I got a cheap plastic pump at the local auto store

also in regards to removing the pan - I have a D1 and from what I understand you have to remove a cross member to get the pan out - not sure if thats is true for the D2

Thanks guys, that gives me a few ideas. I actually saw that picture at that link, and unfortunately, for whatever reason, i can't match it in my head to anything that is actually under there. If its what i think it is, its actually between crossmembers, and doesnt appear to have anything obstructing it from being removed... i really want to change out the filter and gasket/rings while i am under there.

i will check it out again this w/e and update. Thanks again!

Oh, still hoping someone will post a photo of the actual pan, just for a sanity check. :)

ayavner

Reaction score
Oh my god you can't imagine how frustrated I am... its 8:00pm, dark, and my truck's in pieces.

It was easy enough to drain, but upon taking the pan off to get to the filter, I found that the torx-bits that hold the filter body and tube on are apparently made of cheese or a similar substance, such that I have completely rooted out the star and am unable to get them off, nor would i be able to put them back if i had.

On top of that, having decided to button it up for the night, i can't at this point in the day muster the strength to hold the *&%$#$% pan above my head while i fumble around with those G*****MN bolts and spacers as they all disassemble themselves and fall onto my head as i balance the flashlight, pan, gasket and try to wiggle a bolt in while using the edge of my fingernail to hopefully align the spacer.

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH

And what is worse, i realy think that those who sell the filter kits should put those torx screws in there as spares... they HAVE to know you are going to need to destroy them to get them out.. or at least its a possibility... heck, they included 2 o-rings which are of dubious necessity since the ones on there are fine.

But hey, at least I know where it all is now... and, being a DII I can confirm that you do NOT need to remove crossmembers or exhaust Y's or anything..

Any words of encouragement from those wot been there? it's time for a beer.....

/rant

adam

ayavner

Reaction score
well update, such as it is. So its Sunday morning, and I used the extractor to remove the 3 bolts holding in the filter. Naturally, no one in town has these, so its time for the ol' Slot it with a hacksaw and use a sccrewdriver trick.. Grrrrrr... oh well, they seem to have these belleville washers on them that provide tension when tightened, so I don't think they are going to back out.

So let that be a lesson, if anyone reads this - if you order the filter/gasket kit, go ahead and order the 3 torx head bolts that go with it.. your sanity is at stake :)

ayavner

Reaction score
Done! And, she shifts smoother and quieter and *feels* a little faster <g>. Also seems to have gotten rid of the juddery takeoff I first get when it starts cold.

Thanks again for the responses I got, and for the forum in general!

adam

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't have helped on this one... been out of town this weekend... hmmm been out of town a lot lately.

ayavner

Reaction score
joey said:
Sorry I couldn't have helped on this one... been out of town this weekend... hmmm been out of town a lot lately.

Is that a good thing??

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish it was.... I haven't had time to work on or play with my rover in over a month. Still sitting in the driveway leaking grease from a swivel.... I have the parts, just don't have the time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge