Oil and filter change (vacuum method) - Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXLR4

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this video. I am the new owner of a 2013 LR4 and want to do as much service on my own as possible.

I noticed when you went to check the oil level that you did it on the menu in the dash. I don't have this option.

Is there a special way to get to it or is mine stuck in some sort of transport mode?

Any help would be appreciated.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi TXLR4, welcome to the forum. You should be able to access that Service Menu (you better, as there would be no way to check oil level otherwise, since in its infinite wisdom Land Rover decided to deep-six the dipstick...), but it's not visible if your engine is running.

Have you tried accessing the menu with your engine turned off? Also, if/when you get to it be aware that you may be unable to get a reading of the oil level until 20-30 minutes after you have turned off your engine - the manual says you should wait 10 minutes if the engine is warm, but in my experience that's not enough time.

Last edited:

TXLR4

Reaction score
Hi TXLR4, welcome to the forum. You should be able to access that Service Menu (you better, as there would be no way to check oil level otherwise, since in its infinite wisdom Land Rover decided to deep-six the dipstick...), but it's not visible if your engine is running.

Have you tried accessing the menu with your engine turned off? Also, if/when you get to it be aware that you may be unable to get a reading of the oil level until 20-30 minutes after you have turned off your engine - the manual says you should wait 10 minutes if the engine is warm, but in my experience that's not enough time.

That did it! I had no idea you had to have the ignition off to see this. Do the LR4s have an oil life monitor that will tell you how much life is left on the oil and when it needs to be changed, or does it just alert you soley based off mileage?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage or time, whichever happens first since it was reset. Although it makes small adjustments depending on driving cycles, in general the reminder starts popping up at startup a few weeks or a couple of thousand miles before your next scheduled service is due (roughly every year or 15,000 miles, whichever occurs first, in the case of our 5-liter engine.)

Last edited:

TXLR4

Reaction score
Mileage or time, whichever happens first since it was reset. Although it makes small adjustments depending on driving cycles, in general the reminder starts popping up at startup a few weeks or a couple of thousand miles before your next scheduled service is due (roughly every year or 15,000 miles, whichever occurs first, in the case of our 5-liter engine.)

is this something that can be reset on our own or does the dealer have to do it?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer (or an independent Land Rover mechanic suitably equipped) needs to reset it using factory or compatible diagnostics. There are also relatively inexpensive DIY diagnostic tools sold to mere mortals like you and me out there, that allow you to reset it on your own, such as the IIDTool discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV