Oil light - I'm scared!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I searched and search the forum for info. and like the title says, I'm scared... But I am hopeful...

So the wife and I decided to take a last minute camping trip this past Friday (7/25) about a 2 hours drive north of us (about a 2000 ft. elevation climb)... All was well until I pulled into the campground and was letting the Disco. sit idle with the A/C on and the tranny in "D" - the oil light came on... When I hit the accelerator, it went off... :confused:

So I assumed the oil level was just low due to the trailer being hooked up and the truck not level... Checked it in the morning and it was fine, right in the middle of the 2 marks...

I hooked up the trailer this morning and I could hear a ticking noise in the engine, but it went away as soon as it reached normal temp.. But, the same thing happened, oil light came on... I took the leap of faith and drove home - 2 hours @ 65mph, 90 degrees, 5500lb trailer, 3 kids. :stupid:

We made it home with no issues other than the light coming on @ idle with the A/C on and the tranny in "D"...

Immediately I began to read the threads regarding this oil light and found some things... But I'm scared...

So I started with the easy step - flush motor and change oil....

When added the motor flush, I could hear the ticking noise, but no light... Once the temp. was at normal idle level, light came on and ticking went away...

Drained oil and added new oil - Castrol 10W40, BOSCH filter... So far, so good... Checked for leaks (none) and took her for a spin to heat up... No light...

QUESTIONS:
1). So, I was going to drop the oil pan and clean the sludge - can this wait until the weekend or am I putting myself at risk if I drive the truck this week (~250 miles)?

2). My VIN falls into the oil pump Technical Bulletin - is this a sign of oil pump failure to come? Can it be beat by replacing the oil pump now?

3). Could it be an oil pressure sensor? I have read they either work or don't, nothing in between...

I'm figuring that if the oil pump (Technical Bulletin related) was going to fail, the trip home was going to be its demise... I'm leaning more towards sludge on and around the pick-up tube! Am I being too optimistic since that's the cheapest remedy?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan
'03 Discovery HSE7 w/SLS, ACE, and 55500 miles - no mods!

I promise I will give an update when I actually get under the truck again!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
At 55k if you have changed the oil every 3 - 4k, then I don't think it will be sludge, but it is possible.

If you the Tech Bulletin (I haven't read this one lately) is to replace the oil pump, then I would recommend changing it as soon as you can. If you pulled a trailer for 2 hours and it didn't **** it, I would say that 250miles will not either, but this is a rover we are talking about.

damnskippy

Reaction score
Hi, Was just reading your post and you said:

" My VIN falls into the oil pump Technical Bulletin - is this a sign of oil pump failure to come? Can it be beat by replacing the oil pump now?

I'm still looking to purchase a 2004 Disco, how do I find out if a vin number falls into the oil pump Technical Bulletin?

Hope you got things figured out... Thanks! A.J. in Wyo

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The VIN range is 3A771801 – 3A808362... It has onl affected '03's, but I have heard chatter about it extending into '04's...

Jonathan

onanC

Reaction score
I had the same issue. VIN SALTW6423A795894, miles 53,921.
I removed the oil light switch and found that it would switch at 8psi or less.
I removed the oil pan and found that the oil screen was clear
I removed front cover and found the strangest oil lump failure I have ever seen. The outside of the outer ring of the gerotor was fractured and scored on the outside. Similarly the timing cover had score marks where the outer ring of the gerotor contacted it. The “normal wear” area where both gears contact the pump housing looked more typical of a used pump.
Could anyone send me a PDF of Service Bulletin #: 031201?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be able to find it with a Google search.
In the mean time, are you going to rebuilt it yourself, if so buy a front cover and new oil pump, might check out Rover Connection for their prices.
Just remember, replacing the pump is not a fix cause it is the engine that is the problem. Replacing the parts should give you another 40,000 to 60,000 miles before another failure will occur.

frarellano

Reaction score
Oil light when the motor is idle only

I know exactly what is happening to your motor because it just happened to my 2004 Discovery. The oil light just came on when the motor was on idle and as soon as I drove to higher RPM's it went away. I did changed the oil pump, front cover, and sending unit and it was still the same. So I took it to a dealer and they could not find the problem and I was told that the motor may have a hairline crack and it was losing oil pressure. I then drove it like that and it lasted me about 40,000 miles doing the oil changes and regular maintenance every 3,000 miles and one day it just quit on me and that was it...! I took it to my land Rover mechanic and the motor was gone. The noise you hear when the motor is cool it sounds like a perkins diesel are the motor bearings going out. My motor bearings where gone inside when we took it apart.I hate to give you this bad news but it is what it is... I just installed a Kosworth motor and I am back on my Discovery.

onanC

Reaction score
I swapped out the cover, pump and rod bearings. The mains measured fine. On reassembly the hot oil pressure was still low. So there was a leak some where. I traded it to the dealer who sold it to me new after the issuance of the tech bulletin and did not offer much help on good will. I’m back to being a Jaguar man. They never let me down like this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72