Oil lines / Transmission filter replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i finally got under truck last night to do usual weekly check up and see if i
finally can get myself to stop being lazy and replace transmission filter..

First thing i notice - even if i will get crossmember unbolted it looks like i wouldnt be able to get it out, and hence couldnt safely drop oil pan from transmission, unless indeed it is possible to unscrew damn tube off (one with measuring stick - we talking Disco 94 here).

And i was not very interested in dropping entire Y pipe section - its like too much hard work, specially considering that i want to do it sometime later to get new cats on anyway...

Any pointers? Can i just try to unscrew stupid measuring thingy and slide pan off without ubolting rest of truck? :) Or shall i wait till new Y pipe to get job done at same time?

Another bit - i think that i finally spotted where oil comes in on engine (now, b/c before it was sipping from all sorts of places) - bloody oil lines seems to be sipping slowly.
Its very slow leak right now, but i am not sure how it will do in winter, when i will have to switch for thinner oil. So i am considering getting new lines on - can someone comment on how hard is it to do such replacing in own driveway/garage? I dont want to rip things apart and then find out that i cant possibly finish job :)
And - does someone know place that sells braded Discovery oil lines for less then arm and leg? :)

TA!

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Sergei,

contact this fellow: http://www.btlrovers.com/

He can have your lines rebuilt for fairly cheap with high pressure JIC fitting and super hihg pressure rubber pieces for almost half of what stock ones would cost new.

He can also put the stainless on if you wish but there is no need with these custom rubber hoses.

The bad part....he needs your hoses and it will take a total of five days to get them back. 2 to ship, 1 to fix and 2 to ship

Justin

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thahks Justin - i'll check it out. If it would be indeed like 50$ - i may go for it..

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI -- one of the people who operates that shop is Paul Schram, who is a regular on the Pirate 4x4 site. He's a pretty good guy and is more willing than most to help with newbies :biggrin:

J

jhermoso

Sergei, I just did the filter change and yes, had to remove crossmember and yes had to remove Y pipes because was impossible, the guys at the shop told me to do so, and it is a good time also to change the gaskets too inexpensive USD7.00 each, but if you want can but the kit something like 52USD including studs gaskets and everyhting.

Be carefull when doing this, you can easily damage the screw´s of the pipes or even break them if you plan to use se same ones (Just happen to me) and had them replaced after a week with a muffler broken like sound, you dont want to have.

WHen removing the Pan, check for metal debris, if no metal then just replace filter and go, bot if not then you will have to change in the future the discs i fried in my wifes disco...also replace the pan gasket, when removing the pan sometimes it suffers and not sealing as it should be leaking oil...

Hope this comments help...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Juan, thanks.

I am not so sure that Y-pipe actually has to be dropped, but to play it safe, i guess i will just postpone filter changing untill i will cash pile handy to replace Y-pipe at same time. Right now it shifts somewhat ok, so it can wait a tad, i sppse...

On oil lines - i havent notice anything about rebuilding on btl's site, but i still need to send him email. Roveraccessories making totally new braded ones for like 240$/kit. Which is a weeeeee bit steep imho, given that nowdays you can buy brading kit from your local autozone for like 40-50$. Paragon performance said they can think on that, but they would need measurements - anyone have any idea on those?

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Sergei,

Call BTL its not on their site. He will be the cheapest by far.

Justin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72