Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im at about 11,000 since my last oil change. I used Castrol Edge 5w-30. Just checked the oil and its almost new. I know there are different views on this. Some say the oil should be dirty bc it takes in impurities and sludge and the like. MAybe my engine is just extra clean??:stupid:

thoughts?

E

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
11,000 miles, are you planning on killing your engine from lack of maintance?
If you are using a good synthetic, you shouldn't be going over 5,000 to 7000 miles on oil changes.
Might want to seriously look at increasing all your fluid changes to prevent some major issues showing up in your diffs, t/case and tranny.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again Mike you prove your a *******. If you knew anything about the LR3 you would know LR recommends oil changes every 7500 miles. Even my 2005 Mercedes says 13,000 interval. Also Castrol Edge is rated for 15k interval changes. Haven't you gotten it yet, you dont know much about the LR3. Its been proven time and time again. Please stay on the disco board and stop infecting the LR3 board with your garbage.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch (again).
The LR3 is certainly a much 'cleaner' engine than older rovers. But I would think you'd want to stick to the 7500 interval at the most just to be on the safe side. There will be a breakdown in the oil's lubricity properties that won't be visible to the eye. My $.02

Oh yeah, don't forget to change your tranny oil ever 250 miles because they are the worst transmissions ever made. This conclusion was made only because there are some cases of bad differential gears and since diffs and tranny's both have gears...well..that's actually the only reason.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay okay....Disco Mike gets the picture. Oh wait, actually he doesn't!

...but I am going to defend him this time. His 5000-7000 mile suggestion wasn't THAT far off the manufacturer's recommended 7500 and if the user off-roads or uses the LR3 in harsh conditions, 5000 miles is a good suggestion, IMO.

My dealership (and I believe OEM) uses a synthetic blend, not a pure synthetic. That and I off-road at least 6 times per year. I change it about every 3750 miles, myself.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes 7500 miles is the recommended service intervals. And the oil recommended on the AJ motor in the LR3 SPORT AND RANGE ROVER is regular 5w30 oil so dont go wasting your money. only the M62 bmw motor in the 03-05 RANGE ROVER and FREELANDER engine take full synthetic oil. Oh and the new 5.0 liter (special oil blend that wont foam at high pressures) only made by castrol made for these engines

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest sending an oil sample to a lab & see what the results are. You may be just fine going 13k without a change, but you won't know if you don't have the oil tested. I look at as a cheap insurance policy - and a good time to give the vehicle a good visual inspection. One generally accepted rule is fresh oil every 12mo. unless the engine is not started. Has to do with corrosive elements created by combustion.

Rudirover

Reaction score
I change oil on my LR every 25 thousand miles. I've been using amsoil since I bought my L88 (defender) in 1973. Presently, I drive a 99 disco II, white, with brush guard and 19 inch LR wheels. I get 17.8 MPG.

I refuse to pay $110 per hour at the dealership for maintenance. By using Amsoil 100% synthetic, you can increase up to 10% power without making any mechanical change and this lubricant will NOT void your warranty.

Rudirover

Reaction score
Disco Mike... obviously you do not know about synthetic lubricants... and you were a service mgr? HMMMM you must have been a dealership service man... bring you car more often! and pay outrageous price$$$$$!

petroleoun oil freezes at -20F my oil freezes at -65F, petroleum oil flashes at 280F my oil flashes at 418F... Hmmmm

Rudirover

Reaction score
Oil Changes Every 25k Miles

Hi: I am new to this forum, but I've been a land rover owner since 1973.

i am amazed that all of you are not using AMSOIL 100% synthetic oil. I use it and I change oil every 25,000 (thousand) miles,or 40,000 Km. When I open the valve cover to do a major tune up, (valve adjustment, belts, etc, the works) all I see is OIL no black soot (carbon) as the byproduct of combustion and petroleum lubrication, it wears your engine out fast!

Presently, I drive a 99 disco II, 19 inch LR wheels, and I get 17.8 MPG. Roll up your sleves and do your own maintenance!

Of course, the mission of the dealership is to connect a vacuum to your wallet, so you have the feeling of belonging to a select group of "Land Rover Lifestyle" suckers who wave at each other when they see another LR wagon in town.

Please, don't take my word, just go to amsoil.com or go to any serious racing page and see what lubricant they use, specially in extreme weather conditions.

Pamper your wagon, use synthetic oil and thumb your nose to the dealership! take your lover to dinner with the money you save!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9