On board air (cheap)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bily Lovec

Reaction score
Ive ran a 10lb liquid C02 bottle for about 12 years now,(various vehicles) AFTER running on onboard compressor. the c02 is moch faster and handier, keep in mind, it can also run air-tools, it is much better than an on-board compressor in every with just a couple of exceptions.
one being, yes you have to occasionally fill it, but with an expansion ratio of 70-1 liquid c02 will last a LONG time, even running airtools.
about the only true negative is it is possible for the c02 bottle to blow a seal (happy seal, yada yada yada) if you carry your bottle incab, than that could be a problem. A guy on a jeep forum had one blow while his JP was parked, he came out to a JP with iced over windows and a cab full of c02...

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*Warning Thread Jack*

I discovered today that if you take the 4 rubber bumpers from the spare compartment, the over-sized tires fits better. You still have to air it down, but you can at least use the hitch again.

i had thought about the possibility of doing this. that might be a good project for saturday.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't hard and well worth it to gain the use of my hitch back.

You will need a long 10mm box-end wrench and really strong hands or a pipe wrench. The bolt heads are on top of the frame, kind of a tight space. Use the box-ended 10mm to hold the bolt head while using your pipe wrench to turn the rubber stop until it comes loose.

Good luck!

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been keeping my Cooper Spare underneath for 3 years. You do have to drop to about 5-10 psi, but it works well. It actually helps protect your bumper from dragging sometimes! I use a Q industries air pump, and it takes about 4 minutes a tire to fill up from 25 to 43 psi. I happen to run 37 front and 43-45 rear, depending on load in the back and distance.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a compressor that works pretty well, but I also bought a 10 pound CO2 tank this year to run the kegs at an annual party I host. My question is simple: what's the best set-up to run off the CO2 tank if I wanted to do that? Do you just get a straight air line with a valve and guage?

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another thing i am considering with the possible compressor is the ability to inflate our mountain and road bikes with it. the mountain bikes only requrie 40-50 psi, but the road is upwards of 110 psi. i am wondering how well these compressor will do even when "rated" at 150 psi. from what i have been reading, the CO2 tanks probably wont last that long for the high psi's required by road bikes.

also, has anyone used this little tool? it seems pretty handy.

http://www.prestaflator.com/

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Q Industries MV50 and it has worked great for me. This website raises the possibility that it is the same compressor as the Viair 400P.

I recall reading somewhere that you shouldn't use these types of compressors for road bicycle tires. The tires run at a much higher pressure than car tires, but they have way less air volume. If you were trying to top off a road bike tire with a compressor, I could easily see the tube exploding.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting comparison. I owned both compressors concurrently. They do not compare in operation, the VIAIR was much better. I like the MV50, it's faster than my current VIAIR 450, but the 400 was terrific, and the MV50 is simply "adequate" in my opinion. I suspect they are made by the same Chinese factory, but to different specs, with some upgrades in the VIAIR unit.

Bily Lovec

Reaction score
another thing i am considering with the possible compressor is the ability to inflate our mountain and road bikes with it. the mountain bikes only requrie 40-50 psi, but the road is upwards of 110 psi. i am wondering how well these compressor will do even when "rated" at 150 psi. from what i have been reading, the CO2 tanks probably wont last that long for the high psi's required by road bikes.

also, has anyone used this little tool? it seems pretty handy.

http://www.prestaflator.com/

you use a regulator on the c02 bottle, I use a preset one @ 120psi, or you buy an adjustable one. to inflate a tire, even a bike tire, you adjust the regulator then fill the tire. its not difficult, I assume if you can find your way home at night, you can inflate a tire safely.
I have 6 bikes, a mixture or road, mountain and tri. I use a c02 bottle to inflate bike tires.
as far as a c02 bottle not having significent volumn to inflate many road bike tires, you're getting bad information. using a single 10lb bottle offroading, I have used an air jack, airtools to remove a tire, than patched and reinflated an 40"dia tire than reinstalled everything using airtools and air jack and still had plenty of c02 left over.

you need to find better information on liquid c02. you're confusing gas with liquid.

IanNewlin

Reaction score
on board air

are there drawbacks to tapping in to the onboard air tank. I saw a how to somewhere on putting a quickconnect off the end of the tank and using that, has anyone done that or have any experience with it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4