It's official! She's standing tall and proud this morning! Admittedly, I didn't get the fuses pulled last night, but regardless, no leveling after stating the engine!
WOO HOO!!! Finally got it!
I would have to say, the moral of this story is the fact that I had multiple failures across multiple components, and that's why it just never made any sense. I do believe the rear valve block was leaking a little, as my fall rates seemed to slow down a little after replacing it. Whether or not I could have simply rebuilt it is a discussion for another thread. After that, tracking the fact that I had not one, but two failed struts...on opposite corners of the vehicle I might add, added to the crazy symptoms.
All in all, here's what I replaced:
-Front valve block over the summer: Admittedly, probably not bad, but I assumed it was as the front was falling faster than the rear...given what I know now, I think it was just a leveling issue combined with the front failed strut.
-Compressor replaced 2 months ago: Given all the issues I had with the system, the fact that it lasted this long are amazing. It had definitely failed, and definitely needed to be replaced. I had updated my original Hitachi with the AMK style compressor. I replaced it with a new Arnott AMK compressor.
-Pressure tank replaced 2 months ago: Not really a "necessary" repair, but mine had become extremely rusty, and I figured if I was in replacing the compressor, it would be good to do that one too.
-Rear valve block replaced 2 weeks ago: Solved part of my problem, I think. I may have been fine, it may have been leaking, I didn't perform any quantitative tests or diagnostics aside from calibrating the suspension, and at that point everything moved the way it was supposed to. This one may have been an unnecessary expense.
-All 4 air struts replaced this week: Unfortunately, this was a requirement...or at least 2 of the 4 needed to be replaced...and there's a chance to RF strut was also leaking as it had fallen as well, but I attributed that to the fact the LF had fallen so much. This was obviously a necessary repair.
At the end of the day, the cost was not insignificant:
$435 for the new compressor (FCP Euro)
$1000 for the rear struts (Rock Auto)
$665 for the front struts (Rock Auto)
$200 rear valve block (Lucky8 Off Road)
$348 Front Valve block (Lucky8 Off Road)
$310 air pressure tank (Atlantic British Parts)
Grand total for this repair: $2958
Potential unnecessary parts cost: (front and rear valve blocks and pressure tank) $858
Total Necessary parts cost: $2100
So, not cheap, but if it keeps my wife's car running for another 10 years, it's worth it!
I will say, that had I trouble shot this problem the way I should have when I first noticed it, I probably wouldn't have lost the compressor so quickly....AND I may have ruled the valve blocks out as well....further limiting the cost of this repair.
Let me also say, the parts costs may seem high because I decided to go with 100% LR OEM parts...which add about 150-200% to the cost of them. But given how long I'd been fighting this problem, I was trying really hard to eliminated any potential follow on issues...or potentially installing bad parts, furthering my diagnostic nightmare!
Thanks for all the help guys!!!