On board air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I owned a Jeep Wrangler I used to go off-road with a buddy that had on board air. For those of you that don't know, this system consisted of an air compressor, tank, regulator, and air hose. We used it to fill our tires up after off-roading with lowered tire pressure.

Now, the LR3 already has and air compressor and tank. Does anyone know if someone is manufacturing a kit that would incorporate an air hose with the existing equipment on the LR3? I seriously doubt it because nobody would want to void their warranties given the amount of problems the LR3s are having, but it is definately something I'd want to add in 4 years (after the warranty expired).

Even though this may be a pipe dream, maybe this thread will spark a sort of wishlist among us.

R

roverrich

Guys have tried exactly the same thing in the older P38 Range Rovers using the onboard aircompressor. My understanding is that is doesn't work well as the compression is not designe for that kind of airflow. Do a google search and you'll see what I mean. For my DII I used a Powertank which is probably one of the more costeffective and easiest way to air up if you are doing alot of wheeling.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a thread on this...

I forget where. Problem is, while pressure is good, the volume is very low, not to mention, the compressors are not designed for any type of extended run time, and will heat up and shut down.Sometimes this just happens running the suspension up and down a few times.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor is not really up the task. If you aired down to 18 PSI, you would probably only get one tire on the tank, and another on the compressor before it overheated and shut itself down (my wild guess). Expeditionexhange.com sells the ARB compressor for their lockers that fits nicely in the engine bay and might be run that way, but again, not really a high flow device. Most guys I go wheeling with either use a QuickAir or ViAir portable unit (ext $300) or a PowerTank ($350)..

Keep in mind that with the 18" rims on your LR3, tires don't require airing down quite as much. My Nittos I only go down to about 30 PSI on rock trails, stay at 40 PSI on dirt trails. Though i did find 15 PSI neccessary in deep sand (Pismo Beach)

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635